• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can wire the sub high pass (speaker wires) or get a miniDSP digital.

Wunderphones

read a lot about a26 & r26 the last days and generally speaking a26 seems to be slightly better with instrument separation & details whereas r26 is better in 3d soundstage (more width, depth & height).

Does anyone run a subwoofer in a setup which include a r26 or a26? How is it connected?

edit: interested to add a r26 in my setup... r26 -> Elekit 8900. Currently I use x6700 -> Hypex &Or Elekit 8900... which allow me to have 1 or 2 subs.
I don't see how that can be true. Can you have a wide-open sound stage if the instruments all collide with each other? I think this is more a question of the "air" that people attribute to R2R DACS; it's like the soundstage you get when you put a shell to your ear at the beach.

I don't see how that can be true. Can you have a wide-open sound stage if the instruments all collide with each other? I think this is more a question of the "air" that people attribute to R2R DACS; it's like the soundstage you get when you put a shell to your ear at the beach.
In what universe does this analogy make sense?

linger63

read a lot about a26 & r26 the last days and generally speaking a26 seems to be slightly better with instrument separation & details whereas r26 is better in 3d soundstage (more width, depth & height).

Does anyone run a subwoofer in a setup which include a r26 or a26? How is it connected?

edit: interested to add a r26 in my setup... r26 -> Elekit 8900. Currently I use x6700 -> Hypex &Or Elekit 8900... which allow me to have 1 or 2 subs.
Don't forget the superb X26 Pro...........

alitomr1979

You can connect two subwoofers in stereo. CONNECT THE left sub to the left RCA output and right sub to the right RCA output.

I have two subs but I connect them to the RCA outputs of the Topping Pre90 preamp, just as I told you. It is basically the same, bypassing the R26 preamp and using the topping's. For this setup you need to use the subwoofers' crossover.

Greenman

Alternatively you can use a subwoofer with high level inputs. In this case you can make do with one as they have a ground plus a left and right speaker level inputs.

e.g. High level subwoofer reviews

w.r.t. A26 vs r26. I have x26pro and r26 and I’ve heard a26 a few times. My preference by far is the R26, The mid range realism and soundstage is much better, though the X26 (and a26) does have slightly more bass weight and detail. I could see someone preferring either, so if you can compare then do.

Last edited:

alitomr1979

Alternatively you can use a subwoofer with high level inputs. In this case you can make do with one as they have a ground plus a left and right speaker level inputs.

e.g. High level subwoofer reviews

w.r.t. A26 vs r26. I have x26pro and r26 and I’ve heard a26 a few times. My preference by far is the R26, The mid range realism and soundstage is much better, though the X26 (and a26) does have slightly more bass weight and detail. I could see someone preferring either, so if you can compare then do.
Interesting. Coming from the SMSL M400 and Marantz HD DAC1 the added details in the bass I got with the R26 was incredible. I am now listening to the M400 and I like it, but the details in the bass and colapse of soundstage, and how the instruments lose all those "layers" make me put it in a different category than the R26.

Also the R26 made me accept systems synergy, because lots of what I hear with the Gustard R26 is not there with all amps.

Greenman

the added details in the bass I got with the R26 was incredible.
Sorry, my previous comment was somewhat ambiguous. What i meant was that the x26 had slightly more bass weight, and high end detail. The R26 bass detail (and in particular ability to pick out the bass instruments) is excellent. I found the x26 just seems to have slightly more extension at both frequency extremes. However the realism in the midrange and (as you say) ability to peel back the soundstage layers is far better in the R26 and this too me just makes for an engaging enjoyable listen that I prefer.

nordluac

I own X26PRO and R26 (for a 3-way digital crossover BEFORE the DACs).

R26 seduces (NOS=ON) in the midrange especially with musical instruments, X26PRO is much colder and sterile in the midrange. The sense of space is also more alive with the R26.

However, there is an underlying problem with Gustard electronics that can significantly degrade the audio quality.
The USB input is very problematic to the point that it is almost necessary to use a special PCIe USB card (Matrix Audio Element H), an excellent USB cable and disable the power line on the USB bus, it could also depend on the size of the audio buffer used! I've found AES/EBU to be the best input without going crazy.
An AES/EBU vs IIS comparison with Gustard U18 showed a small advantage for AES/EBU.
Even a cheap 10MHz clock like Aune's makes a big difference with jitter by improving tonal response and a more focused sense of space.

In short, X26PRO has a analytical tendency that may appeal to a sound engineer while R26 has a more musical, natural and vivid tendency that attracts the music lover to be enchanted.
Remember to use AES/EBU (or maybe even coaxial) with the 10MHz clock to get the most out of the DACs, I assure you there is a notable difference.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

R26 seduces (NOS=ON) in the midrange especially with musical instruments, X26PRO is much colder and sterile in the midrange. The sense of space is also more alive with the R26.

However, there is an underlying problem with Gustard electronics that can significantly degrade the audio quality.
The USB input is very problematic to the point that it is almost necessary to use a special PCIe USB card (Matrix Audio Element H), an excellent USB cable and disable the power line on the USB bus, it could also depend on the size of the audio buffer used! I've found AES/EBU to be the best input without going crazy.
An AES/EBU vs IIS comparison with Gustard U18 showed a small advantage for AES/EBU.
Even a cheap 10MHz clock like Aune's makes a big difference with jitter by improving tonal response and a more focused sense of space.

In short, X26PRO has a analytical tendency that may appeal to a sound engineer while R26 has a more musical, natural and vivid tendency that attracts the music lover to be enchanted.
Remember to use AES/EBU (or maybe even coaxial) with the 10MHz clock to get the most out of the DACs, I assure you there is a notable difference.
There was a firmware update for the USB issue

nordluac

There was a firmware update for the USB issue
For X26PRO there is only the f.1a firmware.

The fact is that digital sources are affected by jitter and it is no coincidence that the 10MHz clock input exists and that Gustard produces external clocks.
Different DAC systems have different strategies for reducing internal jitter which unfortunately creates distortion in the time domain.

There are also many products for external reclocking ( https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus.php ).

However, just try it to believe it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For X26PRO there is only the f.1a firmware.

The fact is that digital sources are affected by jitter and it is no coincidence that the 10MHz clock input exists and that Gustard produces external clocks.
Different DAC systems have different strategies for reducing internal jitter which unfortunately creates distortion in the time domain.

There are also many products for external reclocking ( https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus.php ).

However, just try it to believe it.
Or measure it and take belief out of the equation.

bigfanres

Curious as to why R26 won’t play stereo/2-channel LPCM or DSD SACD via Coax SPDIF, yet plays Redbook without issue. Attempted OS/NOS enablement and now tempted to try another input such as Toslink. Transport is an Oppo and works without issue but R26 not picking up stream signal.

anton123

I think R26 and A26 share the same streaming platform, in this case I want to ask - I've bought A26, but got a problem. When I'm playing files 16bit 44.1khz via Roon - I can hear noise, the best way to hear it - put amp volume to 0 and I hear this noise, but in the same time when I'm playing file 96khz or 192khz - there is no any noise. And when Ipaused playback - there is no noise... Maybe someone already met with this problem? Any suggestions?

Greenman

When you say a noise do you mean a noise through the speakers? If so I’m not sure now this can be so if you have amp set to 0. If you mean a physical buzzing type noise from the A26 case then it sounds like some sort of ground loop, however I’ve never heard of this coming and going dependant upon the type of stream played. Have you tested not using Roon?

There are a lot of A26 (and even more R26) users on the Head-fi forum so it may be worth posting the same query there if you haven’t already.

anton123

When you say a noise do you mean a noise through the speakers? If so I’m not sure now this can be so if you have amp set to 0. If you mean a physical buzzing type noise from the A26 case then it sounds like some sort of ground loop, however I’ve never heard of this coming and going dependant upon the type of stream played. Have you tested not using Roon?

There are a lot of A26 (and even more R26) users on the Head-fi forum so it may be worth posting the same query there if you haven’t already.
Yep, noise from speakers. The noise is only when something is playing via Gustard, when I paused playback - no noise.

Greenman

My current setting is "Fixed"
There is a setting within the menus that attenuates the output by -40db via analogue means this is independent to the digital volume control, this is what bigfanres is referring to. This would mean you would have to increase volume significantly on your amp compaired to current settings. However given you have no issue with higher sample rate files I don’t think this can be your issue. Got to admit I’m a bit perplexed.

rs172

Never had any problems using the R26's usb input. The sound is squeaky clean. Maybe the problem you have occurs at the streaming point. Using the eversolo dmp A6 m.a as a digital transport via usb, works flawlessly

Top Bottom