• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18 Balanced Desktop DAC Review

Dannemand

Shooooot ....to tired
Delete delete delete
LOL it happens :D

In truth, I only noticed because reading your brief review didn't match my impression of A18: Yes, it too is flat, and very NOT fatiguing, completely effortless across the range. But its soundstage is quite 3D -- and not in an artificial, bathroomy way, just very natural and realistic.

gofry

LOL it happens :D

In truth, I only noticed because reading your brief review didn't match my impression of A18: Yes, it too is flat, and very NOT fatiguing, completely effortless. But its soundstage is quite 3D -- and not in an artificial, bathroomy way, just very realistic.
What is your chain?

P.s: I was hesitant between a18 mqa and x16 went with x16 and have to say the “wow” has not came at all :(
What I’m missing from the x16 is eg in melody gardot -c’est magnific the two singers step forward like they were competing for your attention infront of the mic with the yamaha
X16: yup they are there but they don’t care if you are engaged or not

that’s how I can best describe the feeling

Dannemand

Hi to all, someone could tell me how difference are the 2db between Topping D90 and Gustard A18?
In the chart they both have a single AK4499 and, I Think, a good toroidal to power them

I have not heard the D90, but we know it measures a tad better, and it has gotten great reviews. SMSL M400 as well.

Do note that Amir's A18 measurements (this thread) are somewhat different from Wolf's A18 measurements. Wolf showed better THD+N and SINAD -- finding peak performance at 5Vrms (-2dB), not the nominal 4V (-4dB) or the maximum 6V. Amir showed better linearity -- incidentally measured at -3dB.

I personally I wouldn't buy the D90 over A18 just because of those better measurements. Some other considerations:

1) D90 is $850 ($750 without MQA) vs $650 for A18.

2) D90 has power standby, automatic power on (I am told), and a display that is easier to read at distance.

3) A18 has excellent build quality, I would guess higher than D90.

4) Gustard generally has a higher end focus, with A18 being an economy version of their A22.

5) I believe Topping is a more established company than Gustard, with a very broad product portfolio.

This is just off the top of my head. Again, I have never heard -- or even laid eyes on -- D90.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi to all, someone could tell me how difference are the 2db between Topping D90 and Gustard A18?
In the chart they both have a single AK4499 and, I Think, a good toroidal to power them

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hear-any-difference-between-these-dacs.18918/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/can-you-hear-the-difference.19535/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-dacs-make-a-difference.14634/

and so many other threads.
Just check before ;)

Dannemand

What is your chain?

P.s: I was hesitant between a18 mqa and x16 went with x16 and have to say the “wow” has not came at all :(
What I’m missing from the x16 is eg in melody gardot -c’est magnific the two singers step forward like they were competing for your attention infront of the mic with the yamaha
X16: yup they are there but they don’t care if you are engaged or not

that’s how I can best describe the feeling

A18 -> XLR -> Bryston 2B-LP Pro (power amp) -> PMC TB2 floor speakers.

I actually compared A18 to SMSL M200 (AK4497) and spent a month trying to convince myself that M200 was "good enough", both because it's half the price (significant to us) and because it's display is far more practical for use with a remote in our living room. But the conclusion was unavoidable when you listened to them. My wife (who has better hearing than me) was the one who cut through in the end saying we couldn't live with the M200 after having heard the A18.

To us A18 is end game. We like it that much.

My wife is end game too. I like her that much :D

Last edited:

Dannemand

@ArturoKiwi: I forgot we're on ASR. I shouldn't have talked about how the A18 sounds, that is not permitted. There is no difference between DACs. I apologize. It was all in my head. I realize that now.

ArturoKiwi

I don't need to read people that can't hear differences in what they listen. It is useless.
I could assure you that if you have good gear (for music, not home theater) and good source (real cd, wav or proper extract flac), you could hear the differences.
And if are a like one that listened live classic music from very good orchestra, you should/could hear if what you listen is as near as possible to real music.
If you don't hear differences, as for the ones that wrote the threads that you politely report to me, I think you are more lucky than me. You could buy a 50$/€ dac and similar amp and speaker and enjoy your music.
You will always be more happy and will be more light heart than me when you want to change your gear.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't need to read people that can't hear differences in what they listen. It is useless.
I could assure you that if you have good gear (for music, not home theater) and good source (real cd, wav or proper extract flac), you could hear the differences.
And if are a like one that listened live classic music from very good orchestra, you should/could hear if what you listen is as near as possible to real music.
If you don't hear differences, as for the ones that wrote the threads that you politely report to me, I think you are more lucky than me. You could buy a 50$/€ dac and similar amp and speaker and enjoy your music.
You will always be more happy and will be more light heart than me when you want to change your gear.

I won't argue; no time for that as it has been repeated so often here.
Just make double blind tests at same measured volume, you'll be surprised.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-as-transparent-are-that-many-confused.9245/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opinions-mean-more-than-actual-experts.16653/

ArturoKiwi

I won't argue; no time for that as it has been repeated so often here.
Just make double blind tests at same measured volume, you'll be surprised.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-as-transparent-are-that-many-confused.9245/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opinions-mean-more-than-actual-experts.16653/

As I wrote you earlier, I already did the the double blind test.
The real problem is that there is people like me that hear and recognizer the differences, people like you that don't and want to be right.
Maybe it's better to go back on the topic of the thread, a place where people should be free to ask for an opinion and not compare audio gears simply with datasheets

KingFiercer

This forum is about technical aspects of audio equipment, not about subjective comparisons of music perception. This is reminded in every topic, you must be new, if you haven't noticed ;)
But I can share the results of comparison in my headphone system. With A18 presentation is slightly wider and more spacious, high frequencies seem more extended, bass is concentrated but less accented. The D90 is slightly softer at the edges of the frequency range, more punchy and accentuated bass, high frequencies seem less extended (which gives a more intimate presentation), and the midrange is a little more analytical. In the end I liked the A18 more for its spacious presentation and more realistic midrange reproduction. But this is for my taste and in my system. Now A18 works through Bluetooth with a speaker system, and I really like it.

Last edited:

mcasti61

turning the volume wheel quickly disappears the volume screen turns off, does that happen to you?

mcasti61

turning the volume wheel quickly disappears the volume screen turns off, does that happen to you?

the_hamster 2

While awaiting arrival of new Class D Hypex amp, patched the A18 directly to legacy Carver M500t amp for streaming via USB or Chromecast Audio. Needed to dial back volume setting to between -24dB - (-)30dB to avoid cracking drywall in listening room, but remarkable sound playback on both Redbook and 24bit playback. Then interposed a Schiit SYS passive vol. controller and reset DAC to 0dB...these old ears could not tell any difference in wholly subjective appraisal of signal quality, FWIW, between the two modes. But will not be using preamp any longer when running the A18.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
No surprise. Nominal input sensitivity of the M500t for 200 wpc output is 2.0 V, at which point the A18 still has 116 dB of dynamic range to offer over its RCA outputs (at least - probably more like 120). This means DAC noise floor ends up at +23 dBW - 116 dB = -93 dBW. So you could connect a 93 dB / 2.83 V / m sensitive speaker and noise would still be at 0 dB SPL @ 1 m anechoic. With a powerful amplifier like that being present, I would guess yours are rather less sensitive.

In sum, you could drive the amplifier into clipping while noise should be inaudible. Definitely checks out as a preamp replacement.

the_hamster 2

No surprise. Nominal input sensitivity of the M500t for 200 wpc output is 2.0 V, at which point the A18 still has 116 dB of dynamic range to offer over its RCA outputs (at least - probably more like 120). This means DAC noise floor ends up at +23 dBW - 116 dB = -93 dBW. So you could connect a 93 dB / 2.83 V / m sensitive speaker and noise would still be at 0 dB SPL @ 1 m anechoic. With a powerful amplifier like that being present, I would guess yours are rather less sensitive.

In sum, you could drive the amplifier into clipping while noise should be inaudible. Definitely checks out as a preamp replacement.
Actually, B&W CM4 speakers, 90dB sensitivity...appreciate the detailed analysis, btw!

Dannemand

@gustard:

Would you be so kind to answer the following questions about the A18:

1) What is the reason you chose LME49860 for IV and LPF? The AK4499 datasheet calls for OPA1612 (also used by other AK4499 DACs) but I am sure you must have had a good reason to choose LME49860 instead. If the reason was cost, that is understandable, given the A18's price point.

2) I know A18 doesn't have a stand by or soft power button, just the main switch on the back. For convenience, is it safe to turn it on/off using a powerstrip instead of the switch?

3) Is 6Vrms still the XLR output level in the MQA version of the A18? I ask because your official measurements on gustard.cn were performed at 4.9V.

Thank you in advance for your response to these questions.

Last edited:

ArturoKiwi

I hope Gustard will respond your question.
I think that they are in the heads of many of us

sq225917

Major Contributor
Having replaced the LME49860 with opa1612 in my own A18 I'm interested in their answer. I'll not waste my time explaining the differences in how they sound.

ArturoKiwi

Having replaced the LME49860 with opa1612 in my own A18 I'm interested in their answer. I'll not waste my time explaining the differences in how they sound.
I think that is rude the sentence:"I'll not waste my time explaining the differences in how they sound", but at least could you tell as why you choose to loose the warranty and change them?
Is it expensive?

gustard

Audio Company
@gustard:

Would you be so kind to answer the following questions about the A18:

1) What is the reason you chose LME49860 for IV and LPF? The AK4499 datasheet calls for OPA1612 (also used by other AK4499 DACs) but I am sure you must have had a good reason to choose LME49860 instead. If the reason was cost, that is understandable, given the A18's price point.

2) I know A18 doesn't have a stand by or soft power button, just the main switch on the back. For convenience, is it safe to turn it on/off using a powerstrip instead of the switch?

3) Is 6Vrms still the XLR output level in the MQA version of the A18? I ask because your official measurements on gustard.cn were performed at 4.9V.

Thank you in advance for your response to these questions.

Hi
Thanks for your question, it's interesting

1. In fact, the purchase price of LME49860 is more expensive than OPA1612A. LME49860 has better rail-to-rail performance. The requirements for SINAD performance are met in A18.

2. It is safe to use powerstrip instead of the switch. The power switch of the A18 body can be kept on. If the machine is not used for a long time, it is recommended to turn off the body switch.

3. The A18 MQA version still maintains the output level of 6V rms, and the measurement level of about 5V is used because APX555 will switch gears near 5V. The performance of 6Vrms cannot be accurately evaluated. The attenuation of 2dB digital volume output measured in the 5V gear of the AP will have less performance loss than the 6V output and the 10V gear of the AP.

Top Bottom