• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18 Balanced Desktop DAC Review

gustard

Audio Company
Anyone knows if u are able to control output to either RCA or XLR separately? Or is the output transmitted to both RCA and XLR @ the same time?
A18 analog output is transmitted to RCA and XLR at the same time

Dannemand

I have the latest version of the A18. Even if I have no interest in MQA, and believe it is just a means to extract money from music lovers without any musical value, I downloaded a few files to test whether they would be detected, but the answer for me is no:

Any other owners had tested it?

I just registered here after lurking on ASR for over a year. Hi all :)

I bought the A18 back in November (2nd Edition with Toslink and MQA) and absolutely love it.

I tested MQA using files from the 2L Test Bench and David Elias MQA Track Sampler. I also use it from time to time with Tidal. It definitely works. The display shows "MQA" on any MQA track and "MQA." (with the large dot) on MQA Studio tracks. Sounds great too, as long as it's well recorded and well mastered tracks.

If playing from Tidal app on Android, make sure to raise volume to max on the phone. Otherwise digital volume control is applied which breaks bit perfect (and thus MQA). I don't know if this also applies to iPhones, PCs and Macs.

Note that many of the Warner label MQA tracks that were added to Tidal last year are just 16/44, which means there is no origami to unfold (i.e. no higher sample rate). The ones I heard among them were less than spectacular.

Last edited:

Dannemand

@gustard: I want to applaud your activity in these forums, with the updates you have been posting in the X16 thread during the long wait, and your support in this and other threads. You are doing a lot of good for Gustard as well as your customers!

With A18 you developed an amazing DAC using AKM's flagship chip at a reasonable price.

I have two questions for you:

1) I realize A18 production was suspended due to AKM supply problems, but is it permanently discontinued or do you intend to resume production of it once AKM supplies improve?

2) Can you list the specific differences between the original A18 and the 2nd Edition? Of course MQA and Toslink. Also, I believe it has XMOS XU216 instead of XU208. But are there other changes, such as in the output stage or power supply?

I could ask whether the A18 was MQA certified, but I honestly don't care :cool:

Thank you in advance for your response!

Last edited:

Nemo

Forum Donor
I just registered here after lurking on ASR for over a year. Hi all :)

I bought the A18 back in November (2nd Edition with Toslink and MQA) and absolutely love it.

I tested MQA using files from the 2L Test Bench and David Elias MQA Track Sampler. I also use it from time to time with Tidal. It definitely works. The display shows "MQA" on any MQA track and "MQA." (with the large dot) on MQA Studio tracks. Sounds great too, as long as it's well recorded and well mastered tracks.

If playing from Tidal app on Android, make sure to raise volume to max on the phone. Otherwise digital volume control is applied which breaks bit perfect (and thus MQA). I don't know if this also applies to iPhones, PCs and Macs.

Note that many of the Warner label MQA tracks that were added to Tidal last year are just 16/44, which means there is no origami to unfold (i.e. no higher sample rate). The ones I heard among them were less than spectacular.

Many thanks for your response: I do not use Tidal, but have been further investigating the issue, and have fond out that Audirvana (which decodes MQA) does not do it when in "Music Integrated Mode", which is my default (and preference) as their "new" native player fails to synchronize with my collection, has a terrible user interface, and their remote in bot IOS and Android does not work properly: I regret having invested any money in their platform, but it is a way to play files at different sampling rates properly...

Stay safe!!

Dannemand

Many thanks for your response: I do not use Tidal, but have been further investigating the issue, and have fond out that Audirvana (which decodes MQA) does not do it when in "Music Integrated Mode", which is my default (and preference) as their "new" native player fails to synchronize with my collection, has a terrible user interface, and their remote in bot IOS and Android does not work properly: I regret having invested any money in their platform, but it is a way to play files at different sampling rates properly...

Understood! Yes there are definitely more ways to BREAK bit perfect (and thus lose MQA) than there are to maintain it :cool:

But rest assured that MQA definitely works on this DAC, should you ever choose to use it. I think MQA is the main reason Gustard upgraded the XMOS chip from XU208 in the original A18 to XU216 in the 2nd Edition.

I realize X16 is all the rage right now with it's phenomenal measurements. But I feel very fortunate to have gotten this DAC when I did back in November, before it's production was suspended. I see it is now listed at $649 both on ShenzhenAudio and Apos, $90 above it's previous price.

I bought it along with an SMSL M200, in order to compare them feeding a Bryston power amp and PMC speakers. I was hoping that the M200 would be good enough, both because it's half the price (back when A18 cost $559) but also because its large display is much more convenient for living room use.

M200 is an amazing DAC for the money, but from the very first day there was no doubt the A18 sounded better: Completely effortless, where the M200 was a tad screechy and fatiguing. (My ears are oversensitive to freak harmonics in the 3-8 KHz range). A18's imaging is very 3D vs more 2D on the M200. Again, effortless across the range is how I'd describe the A18.

My wife has better hearing than me and did most of the blind listening (volume matched, of course; filter matched too): She preferred the A18 in 100% of comparisons on well recorded classical and acoustic tracks and 75% of average (studio processed) tracks.

Even after that, I spent a month agonizing, trying to convince myself of the M200, mostly because the A18's small display really is quite impractical. In the end my wife pointed out that we'd never be able to live with the lesser sound quality after having heard the better one. A18 is end game for us, where M200 would have been a fine interim solution.

So, I finally returned the M200 and yes, I enjoy this DAC a lot :)

Edit: Oh, and you stay safe as well. Goes for everybody!

Last edited:

Nejiro

What news do the new draiver version 5 bring? I can't find a changelog .......

gofry

Hi,
Does this A18 does the same thing as the X16? When connected to the amp via rca, according to some users the X16 sends over a big "thump" to the amp when turning on after the amp and turning off before the amp.

Dannemand

Hi,
Does this A18 does the same thing as the X16? When connected to the amp via rca, according to some users the X16 sends over a big "thump" to the amp when turning on after the amp and turning off before the amp.
I have not experienced that going directly to a Bryston power amp. But I use XLR, whereas the case mentioned in the X16 thread was through RCA. @gustard pointed that out.

Update: I just tested RCA as well into powered speakers. No thump there either. This is A18 2nd Edition.

Last edited:

Nemo

Forum Donor
Understood! Yes there are definitely more ways to BREAK bit perfect (and thus lose MQA) than there are to maintain it :cool:

But rest assured that MQA definitely works on this DAC, should you ever choose to use it. I think MQA is the main reason Gustard upgraded the XMOS chip from XU208 in the original A18 to XU216 in the 2nd Edition.

I realize X16 is all the rage right now with it's phenomenal measurements. But I feel very fortunate to have gotten this DAC when I did back in November, before it's production was suspended. I see it is now listed at $649 both on ShenzhenAudio and Apos, $90 above it's previous price.

I bought it along with an SMSL M200, in order to compare them feeding a Bryston power amp and PMC speakers. I was hoping that the M200 would be good enough, both because it's half the price (back when A18 cost $559) but also because its large display is much more convenient for living room use.

M200 is an amazing DAC for the money, but from the very first day there was no doubt the A18 sounded better: Completely effortless, where the M200 was a tad screechy and fatiguing. (My ears are oversensitive to freak harmonics in the 3-8 KHz range). A18's imaging is very 3D vs more 2D on the M200. Again, effortless across the range is how I'd describe the A18.

My wife has better hearing than me and did most of the blind listening (volume matched, of course; filter matched too): She preferred the A18 in 100% of comparisons on well recorded classical and acoustic tracks and 75% of average (studio processed) tracks.

Even after that, I spent a month agonizing, trying to convince myself of the M200, mostly because the A18's small display really is quite impractical. In the end my wife pointed out that we'd never be able to live with the lesser sound quality after having heard the better one. A18 is end game for us, where M200 would have been a fine interim solution.

So, I finally returned the M200 and yes, I enjoy this DAC a lot :)

Edit: Oh, and you stay safe as well. Goes for everybody!
Thank you gain for your detailed response: I was specially happy to learn that your wife made the argument that you could not live knowing you may had better sound: you are a lucky man!

the_hamster 2

Received new A18 a few days ago - upgraded model with MQA capability plus Toslink input...is there anywhere a “Gustard Products” Net link for SW upgrades? At Post#65, a reference was made to a “Mediafire” download site for latest USB driver...how was this located, and is it reliable? Bought through Apos Audio, and have queried their Support people for info on SW/FW support for the Gustard line. Hope this won’t be a problem going forward...love the unit, but there better be support behind the product, or it goes back.

Nejiro

The drivers I download them here https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all and they have already been updated, in fact they released a new version a few days ago that I still have to put, however if the unit is fine I do not see the reason for send it back, it's not necessarily that new drivers have to come out every month ....... I'm doing very well with this A18, in my opinion for what I paid for it is an exceptional product ...... ..

Dannemand

Received new A18 a few days ago - upgraded model with MQA capability plus Toslink input...is there anywhere a “Gustard Products” Net link for SW upgrades? At Post#65, a reference was made to a “Mediafire” download site for latest USB driver...how was this located, and is it reliable? Bought through Apos Audio, and have queried their Support people for info on SW/FW support for the Gustard line. Hope this won’t be a problem going forward...love the unit, but there better be support behind the product, or it goes back.
As mentioned, you can download drivers, manuals AND firmware updates from https://download.shenzhenaudio.com or directly from http://www.gustard.cn (under Service support->Drive/firmware). It's nice to see that Gustard got their website running!

There hasn't been any firmware updates to this DAC. In fact the only one listed on those two sites is for the U16 Digital Interface.

I previously asked (through email) if future firmware updates might offer changes to the display, and they kindly replied that firmware cannot address the display. I would assume firmware updates are then limited to the AK4499, XU216 and other programmable components.

Gustard posted in the X16 thread that A18 is currently awaiting MQA certification. I guess those of us who received units back in the fall are just lucky :)

the_hamster 2

Gustard posted in the X16 thread that A18 is currently awaiting MQA certification. I guess those of us who received units back in the fall are just lucky :)

Sent my order into Apos Audio in mid-Jan, and they already had changed model lineup to feature only the MQA/Toslink upgrade. And don’t get me wrong, I truly am enjoying hi-res streaming over the A18...just was concerned that the brand doesn’t have a customer-support site for SW downloads and the like - at least I haven’t found it yet. Yes, there’s the Chinese-language link, but not helpful to us non-Mandarin speakers.
Thank you for the Shenzhenaudio link, though, and have bookmarked for future reference.

Last edited:

Dannemand

Sent my order into Apos Audio in mid-Jan, and they already had changed model lineup to feature only the MQA/Toslink upgrade. And don’t get me wrong, I truly am enjoying hi-res streaming over the A18...just was concerned that the brand doesn’t have a customer-support site for SW downloads and the like - at least I haven’t found it yet. Yes, there’s the Chinese-language link, but not helpful to us non-Mandarin speakers.

On the top-right of the gustard.cn site you can select English. It's still a very Chinese centered website, and I prefer to use ShenzhenAudio.com which has all the same information. Apos.audio has it too, but ShenzhenAudio.com seems a bit more updated with the latest.

the_hamster 2

On the top-right of the gustard.cn site you can select English. It's still a very Chinese centered website, and I prefer to use ShenzhenAudio.com which has all the same information. Apos.audio has it too, but ShenzhenAudio.com seems a bit more updated with the latest.
And so it is! Clicked on all the top-line characters but the very last on the Gustard site...thanks very much indeed.

ArturoKiwi

Hi to all, someone could tell me how difference are the 2db between Topping D90 and Gustard A18?
In the chart they both have a single AK4499 and, I Think, a good toroidal to power them

Dannemand

Now that I can listen to the dac normally (factory cabling still, probably tomorrow I’m going to have better rca and power cables)
Setup macbook pro-viablue usb-dac-yamaha rx-a2080
Vs macbook pro-viablue ethernet upnp-yamaha rx-a2080

the gustard is pretty detailed and yet good to listen, absolute not tiring. The sound is perfectly transparent and flat. Flat in every good and bad sense.
Weight is definitely missing from the mid-region, basses are tight -a bit less than only with the yamaha but more detailed-, treble is not overextended at all, just about right.
instrument separation is there, the dac is fast, but the story is more 2d than 3d. Soundstage has width a pretty good one but I can’t say the same thing about depth unfortunately :(
Just checking: Did you mean to post this in the A18 thread? Seeing as you have been quite active in the X16 thread lately. Again, just checking :)

Top Bottom