• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18 Balanced Desktop DAC Review

Yasser 06

As part of a complete system I use an E30 DAC paired with a CCA (opt.) and a (rarely used) DVD player (coax) paired to ADCOM preamp (RCA) ; the A18 is paired with CD (coax), Smart TV (opt.), and iPad or PC (USB), also > ADCOM preamp (XLR). So, for a relatively inexpensive outlay, 5 devices can be handled conveniently…YMMV.
I don't get it .. what is your amplifier ? You have two DAC the topping E30 and the Gustard A18 ? and then a pre-amp ?

Why would i use a pre-amp if all my source are digital ? a Dac with a passive pre-amp (e.g. volume control) is cleaner.

Most non vinyl users (i would love to try vinyl but i don t have any and i already scratch my many CDS and they take lot of space, so imagine with vinyls i would have to devote a room to stock them, and i would spend a fortune buying music) just need one DAC and one amplifier (that can be a power amp if the Dac has volume control).

Sp for me a clean solution is a DAC with many digital in and also a bridge digital out.

Of course you can use switches or a pre-amp but this add to the mess, the DAC amplifier solution is clean and on top since it has les units/stages you probably get a better sound.

The best overall would probably be an integrated amp with internal DAC with top implentation, the problem is that it is not evolutive.

the_hamster 2

I don't get it .. what is your amplifier ? You have two DAC the topping E30 and the Gustard A18 ? and then a pre-amp ?

Why would i use a pre-amp if all my source are digital ? a Dac with a passive pre-amp (e.g. volume control) is cleaner.

Most non vinyl users (i would love to try vinyl but i don t have any and i already scratch my many CDS and they take lot of space, so imagine with vinyls i would have to devote a room to stock them, and i would spend a fortune buying music) just need one DAC and one amplifier (that can be a power amp if the Dac has volume control).

Sp for me a clean solution is a DAC with many digital in and also a bridge digital out.

Of course you can use switches or a pre-amp but this add to the mess, the DAC amplifier solution is clean and on top since it has les units/stages you probably get a better sound.

The best overall would probably be an integrated amp with internal DAC with top implentation, the problem is that it is not evolutive.

Right, ah, forget to mention that the Amp is an Audiophonics Hypex stereo with switchable inputs : from A18 > SYS > RCA > amp; from preamp > XLR > amp…yes, it’s sort of funky, but like to mess about when playing/streaming a variety of music and videos. Had all the pieces from other rigs, and thought - well, why not? Also, should mention that there is a subwoofer and control module patched into ADCOM preamp as well, so use that when watching films for good low-bass effect.

Yasser 06

Oh that's funny since i recently switched from mu 20 years old Denon PMA 1500 to the arthur from Boxem that uses the very same modules, .ie hypex. I would probably have saved money getting the audiophonics, but Boxem lend me the Arthur and i sort felt happy to help them out.

Main reason was power consumption of class A, and well for the first time i heard a class D below 1500dollars that sounded good.
Other exception i bought it new which i rarely do.

One audiophonics saleman told me that their class D sell like candies. It is a decent shop but they sent me second hand Digione for the price of a new one. So if i ever buy a Allo Digione signature or a Shanti i will order it from Allo shop.

Yasser 06

How difficult would it be for these DAC makers to include an analog crossover and a sub out? Earnest question.
Yeah and an extra coax, an extra spdif in and digital bridge. And a decent interface, with as example direct buttons for source selection and a linear volume control (not and exponential one).

sq225917

Major Contributor
I've had mine almost a year and I've only just realised that if you use the dial on the front that the volume has 2 detents per dB change on the display. So I'm guessing it actually does half dB steps. I'll have to measure and check if this is actually the case or just a peculiarity of the control switch

Reddy

Is there a possibility to set the DAC in direct DSD mode? The newer A18 MQA has this option in the settings.
That shouldn't be a big problem for the manufacturer. As I can see in the schematic of the AK4499, a bit needs to be set

Top Bottom