• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you do when people think their opinions mean more than actual experts?

Blujackaal

Spinning of my other comment. I've noticed this a lot in many audiophile sites that are mildly okay with objectivist views. They act seem to love abusing the "We don't understand everything" then explode when shown how silly they are?.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why should I have to do something?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The correct answer is state your case concisely and politely if you are so minded, linking solid evidence where possible, then walking away if the reply isn't receptive.

Or, as Ray suggests, do nothing and move on.

I wish I could switch off my flight or fight response, but I cant easily.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Spinning of my other comment. I've noticed this a lot in many audiophile sites that are mildly okay with objectivist views. They act seem to love abusing the "We don't understand everything" then explode when shown how silly they are?.
Why go there in the first place? Do you go in the stable and wonder why there are horses then try to change the horses into pigs?

EDIT: sorry @Berwhale, wrong quoting

Robin L

Master Contributor
Close to that. At a certain point we know when someone is crazy, learn to walk away.

Of course, when the person we have to walk away from is ourselves, things get trickier. It is far easier to learn [no matter if what we learn is right or wrong] than to unlearn. Self-hypnotism is real and hard to undo.

Putter

Forum Donor

“‘You’re probably right’ has become of my favorite phrases.
Whenever someone disagrees with you on a small matter (read: most things), you can shrug, say ‘you’re probably right’ and move on.
Not caring about winning trivial arguments saves so much time and energy.”

I can't really agree with that one. You can ignore it with the understanding that it's unlikely you would change the other person's mind. You can state what you know (i.e. facts) that is contradictory to the other person's opinion and move on. It's rare that the an enlightened discussion will proceed from there so at that point you can just walk away.

Conceding the point to the other person when you KNOW IT'S WRONG seems weak minded and way too passive. You don't have to win the argument, but it's cowardly to not stand up to falsehoods.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conceding the point to the other person when you KNOW IT'S WRONG seems weak minded and way too passive. You don't have to win the argument, but it's cowardly to not stand up to falsehoods.

Actually, conceding the point when you believe that the other person is wrong is quite difficult. But if you don't try, you'll never find common ground with someone with strongly opposing views.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Actually, conceding the point when you believe that the other person is wrong is quite difficult. But if you don't try, you'll never find common ground with someone with strongly opposing views.
But why would you want common ground? It hurts the people in the right and in the wrong both. The only way to go is to continue as long as the discussion is a dialectic, teaching or learning one; after that, don't bother.

bigguyca

A walkaway-type quote with unfortunate consequences: British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, "Peace for Our Time." The ultimate Pollyanna stance.

John Bernard Books, The Shootist, "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

Most discussions today seem to follow quote number two. Is following quote number one better?

Of course one could try, "Tora, Tora, Tora," but that coincides with likely the biggest strategic military mistake of the 20th Century.

Given the mediocre level of STEM education in the U.S. (I live in the U.S.) and especially the lack of education in critical reasoning skills, many (most) technical discussions are useless exercises. The lack of critical reasoning skills also dooms most other disagreements.

Discussions that only involve opinions are destined for failure.

Now have a nice day!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A walkaway-type quote with unfortunate consequences: British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, "Peace for Our Time." The ultimate Pollyanna stance.

John Bernard Books, The Shootist, "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

Most discussions today seem to follow quote number two. Is following quote number one better?

Of course one could try, "Tora, Tora, Tora," but that coincides with likely the biggest strategic military mistake of the 20th Century.

Given the mediocre level of STEM education in the U.S. (I live in the U.S.) and especially the lack of education in critical reasoning skills, many (most) technical discussions are useless exercises. The lack of critical reasoning skills also dooms most other disagreements.

Now have a nice day!
You forgot:
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Now have a nice day!
This has been my bugbear for a very long time. Our UK education system doesn't seem any better. We should be teaching our youngsters to Believe nothing, Question everything, but that would make it harder to manage in classes of 30 or more.

It would stop all the idiot conspiracy theories and crackpot ideas seen in the media these days. Why are people such gullible idiots? Don't people stop to read and consider what they have written before hitting 'send'? Clearly not. Supine stupidy must be good for business.
S

OP
B

Blujackaal

Qustioning saint Olive the perfect? Such blasphemy cannot be tolerated. Off with their heads :D

Was funny seeing some on Reddit upset about Harman tuning caught not reading the part saying the bass shelf is too taste. While crying in other threads how they can't spam the sub with their views on DAC's sounding different or 24bit audio.

Top Bottom