• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Guidance/help with AVR speaker settings

Joramun

Hi All,

Need some help ensuring I have the correct Crossover settings for my AVR.

I have the Polk R200's and these are its specs:
  • Overall frequency response: 39 Hz–50 kHz
  • Frequency response (-3 dB limits): 51 Hz–38 kHz
  • Recommended amplifier power: 30–200 W
  • Amplifier output compatibility Minimum impedance: 8Ω / 6Ω / 4Ω / 3.8Ω
On the AVR do I set the crossover to 50Hz?
Impedance to 4Ω?
For the subwoofer (LPF/LFE) do I set it to 120Hz?

Thanks in advance

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Which AVR and what sub? Is it only one sub? Even if it's not only one sub AVR's are dumb and you can't make individual L & R high pass to L & R sub.
So make a 100 Hz high pass and plug the R200 port's.
Goal is to eliminate port resonance improving the mids and give the woofer a little bit more dynamic headroom and control on higher SPL. Read Eren's measurements regarding compression and multitone distortion. With crossover set to 100 Hz you don't have to turn down impedance switch from 8 Ohms and in anyway it's a voltage limiter in most cases so that it can cope with higher A which costs you in output power (W). You set both to 100 Hz of course, if you use LFE input to sub you turn the low pass knob on it all the way up (AVR does both low/high pass or Linkwitz Riley).

OP
J

Joramun

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR7100
Sub: SVS SB-1000 PRO

One sub only.

2.1 configuration

If I'm understating you correctly I set both the crossover for the R200 and the LFE on the Onkyo to 100Hz and set the low pass on the sub ask the way up?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR7100
Sub: SVS SB-1000 PRO

One sub only.

2.1 configuration

If I'm understating you correctly I set both the crossover for the R200 and the LFE on the Onkyo to 100Hz and set the low pass on the sub ask the way up?
AVR will do both, high pass the speakers and send cut off low pass to the subwoofer. Try to put subwoofer in the center between speakers if you can. That's why you put the FR output on sub all the way up.
The settings page isn't exactly writen understandable.
You set crossover for front speakers to 100 Hz, leave LPF of LFE to off set distance and such accordingly leave loudness (in both cases default on) re run the room EQ (Dirac Live) and that's about it. Not really sure if (equal) loudness (normalisation) will work with Dirac, it's a shame if it won't.

hwest

Hi All,

Need some help ensuring I have the correct Crossover settings for my AVR.

I have the Polk R200's and these are its specs:
  • Overall frequency response: 39 Hz–50 kHz
  • Frequency response (-3 dB limits): 51 Hz–38 kHz
  • Recommended amplifier power: 30–200 W
  • Amplifier output compatibility Minimum impedance: 8Ω / 6Ω / 4Ω / 3.8Ω
On the AVR do I set the crossover to 50Hz?
Impedance to 4Ω?
For the subwoofer (LPF/LFE) do I set it to 120Hz?

Thanks in advance
There are soo many opinions out there on crossovers, I have even heard some espouse you should set 'all' speakers to 80Hz even your mains and use your subs to fill in the bass. I completely disagree with that theory since you can color in bass with a good set of mains to the extent where it can give you a much better stage and presence/hit. I would never tell anyone to set their mains to 80Hz regardless of good your subs are. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have tried going down to even 40Hz occasionally on my mains with good results and settled on 50Hz for my particular situation with docent mains B&W 804 D3's with two carbon fiber bass drivers sensitivity 90db (realistically probably slightly slower)

Top Bottom