• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gryphon Apex Stereo power amplifier Measurements (Stereophile)

Are Class A amps as prime as Class A office buildings? Am I strange to deliberately look for Class D?

You may well be strange, I really don't know, but when it comes to amplifiers, there's nothing wrong with either Class A or Class D. Me, I prefer Class AB. :)

Class A amp still the most non fatigue revealing listening amp ever.

Please, provide documentary evidence of this assertion... as at this stage it's a throwaway line backed up by nothing apart from some random opinions and we all know what is said about opinions. I await your detailed response with anticipation.

JSmith

I don't know man, I get tired when my room gets too hot.

You may well be strange, I really don't know, but when it comes to amplifiers, there's nothing wrong with either Class A or Class D. Me, I prefer Class AB. :)
I get nervous when electronics get warm. I do appreciate the huge heatsink in Gryphon products. I hate fans even more.

The Lyngdorf SDA-2400 has 2x 400W and it does not even have vents.

Well this review is certainly no surprise. No expensive hifi company that doesn't publish more than the bare minimum necessary specs will uphold their value.
The best worst part is that buyers and would be buyers are in still in full denial about this and still buy it.

I think most of the rebuke is directed at those who because they spend big money buying equipment believe it sounds better and have greater faith in their own biases than they do in the facts of measurement. Nothing wrong with buying peacock feathers, just don't try to convince everyone that they can help the peacock fly better than other feathers.
My problem is spending an inordinate amount for inferior performance. The fact that the thing weighs so much, for inexplicable reasons, doesn't help.

Please, provide documentary evidence of this assertion... as at this stage it's a throwaway line backed up by nothing apart from some random opinions and we all know what is said about opinions. I await your detailed response with anticipation.

JSmith
It is impossible to document scientifically and definitively a human reaction such as "fatigue", just like it is futile to try to 'prove' human reactions such as love, hate, disgust, or like/dislike for types of music. I for the life of me don't understand the insistence of 'scientific' types here to try to do so. Maybe I'm wrong and these people are actually bots, which would make sense. Preferences can be tested by sampling opinions, but even that is frought with inaccuracy. Please engineering nerd types, stick with the objective stuff which you do much better.

PS: class D is also technically "class A" in that there is no crossover distortion.

Last edited:
PS: class D is also technically "class A" in that there is no crossover distortion.
Welll...no. Class A simply means the output devices conduct for the full cycle. Obviously, class D devices do not. I do agree about the lack of crossover distortion.

Welll...no. Class A simply means the output devices conduct for the full cycle. Obviously, class D devices do not. I do agree about the lack of crossover distortion.
That is why I put it in quotes, which means to not take it literally but use it as an illustration of behavior similar to what a real class A amplifier would do. Do I really need to explain everything in such detail to not be called out for inaccuracy? :facepalm:

That is why I put it in quotes, which means to not take it literally but use it as an illustration of behavior similar to what a real class A amplifier would do. Do I really need to explain everything in such detail to not be called out for inaccuracy? :facepalm:
I'm just status-quo, supporting the class structure.

Seriously, I thought it might confuse any noobies here. The different classes of amplifiers must seem mysterious as it is.

I'm just status-quo, supporting the class structure.

Seriously, I thought it might confuse any noobies here. The different classes of amplifiers must seem mysterious as it is.
I would assume that everybody, including unwashed noobies would understand that when someone puts something in quotes, that does not mean that the thing between the quotes is to be taken literally. This is especially so since I went on to explain WHY it is "like class A".

Besides, there's enough confusion and misinformation around here already from the "experts". (note the quotes)

I would assume that everybody, including unwashed noobies would understand that when someone puts something in quotes, that does not mean that the thing between the quotes is to be taken literally. This is especially so since I went on to explain WHY it is "like class A".

Besides, there's enough confusion and misinformation around here already from the "experts". (note the quotes)
OK, point taken.

okay, so it's 'technically' Class A but not really Class A? You expect people to understand what the heck you were implying?

'Technically' does not imply you mean something that is actually different.

okay, so it's 'technically' Class A but not really Class A? You expect people to understand what the heck you were implying?

'Technically' does not imply you mean something that is actually different.
Didn't you read the part where I said that it is like class A in the sense that there is no crossover distortion? Haven't you ever used an analogy? Just what are you trying to prove here? Lack of precision on my part? Sorry, I write for actual people, not robots.

Didn't you read the part where I said that it is like class A in the sense that there is no crossover distortion? Haven't you ever used an analogy? Just what are you trying to prove here? Lack of precision on my part? Sorry, I write for actual people, not robots.
A better way to frame it. Class D like Class A has no crossover distortion.

Back
Top Bottom