• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Ground loop via USB broken but high pitch noise remains. *Please advise*

Audio:
PC - USB - E30 - L30
Power:
Dedicated 20A to office closet - cyber power Sinewave 1500 UPS - PC/Accessories + separate Isobar strip for stack/monitors/sub
*No noise present via Headphones or IEMS

Purchased Adam T5V powered monitors and their sub. Hiss is minimal even with the gain all the way up via optical or via tablet USB
*PC via USB introduces a HUGE ground loop. I can hear things processing, my mouse moving etc.
Tried moving around UPS, PC, stereo, stack.... no changes or it was worse... With gain way up I can hear the noise actually get worse on old wiring...

I purchased IFI Ground Loop Eliminator, did almost nothing until I gave it power which I guess it needs to break the ground loop. The difference is staggering. Even at max gain on monitor the electric interference noises are totally gone.

All that remains in a High pitch whine. I can turn gain down enough that its not too noticeable above my office noise floor and volume has zero effect on it thank god just gain from T5V.

PC via optical is dead silent but I've had a lot of issues with optical splitters and switches failing suddenly within weeks or months of install... kinda fed up and i like that i can play some of my DSD rips fia foobar which i can't do over optical.

I use this PC for games and media so its kinda a must for an audio source... if i have to go back to optical can someone suggest a more reliable switch than Monoprice that supports 192khz
TIA

OP
J
Thread Starter #2
Gotta say this Forum is WAY less helpful than some other "less-scientific" ones. A lot less info than one might think for such a common issue...

Anyway upgrading to a Balanced DAC from Geshelli Labs (JNOG2) totally solved my ground loop / PC noise issues.

No longer need IFI defender and no home or high pitched whine. BLISS

I could be wrong but i think it removed the noise floor on my IEM's too because there is no audible difference unplugging them now.

Having an excuse to get their balanced amp (ERISH) and cables for HD6xx and HD560s was icing on the cake. really enjoying it all!

Veri

Major Contributor
Gotta say this Forum is WAY less helpful than some other "less-scientific" ones. A lot less info than one might think for such a common issue...

Anyway upgrading to a Balanced DAC from Geshelli Labs (JNOG2) totally solved my ground loop / PC noise issues.

No longer need IFI defender and no home or high pitched whine. BLISS

I could be wrong but i think it removed the noise floor on my IEM's too because there is no audible difference unplugging them now.
Looks like the common mode noise rejection solved all your problems. Good :) that's where balanced interconnects shine. Enjoy your new noise-free set-up.