• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just how did Danny get a reputation without particular educational credentials in the field at least? What particularly got him on the board so to speak?
Dunno. I do know I met and worked for a dood that had a university business administration degree and designed a handheld micro-ohm meter that was well known amongst avionics peeps and it was a desired device for measuring the skin resistance of aircraft. After that I never discounted anybody from electronics design and assembly Some peeps are good at it and some not so much.

Last edited:

kokakolia

That sounds wonderful if your listening area is large enough to host a get-together.

In a science-minded community, it’s okay to question commonly-accepted beliefs, but if your supporting evidence is all anecdotal (I.e., “everyone in the room heard the same thing”), don’t expect your views to be accepted as anything more than personal preference!

And yes, it’s possible to believe the science and still enjoy tubes and vinyl, because this a hobby, and if the relentless pursuit of the highest quantifiable levels of performance doesn’t sound like fun to you, don’t do it. But personally, if I discovered a bad-but-amazing sound, I’d want to measure it, so I could recreate it as needed, and not worry that I would lose it forever due to a home remodeling, equipment change, etc.
I personally believe that the community is scientifically minded because they cannot be in the same room as the speakers mentioned in the reviews.

Perhaps the HiFi hobby is much like exotic cars. Many enthusiasts love to read about supercars knowing that they'll never have an opportunity to drive one.

My deepest frustration is not being able to experience (in person) what I read on these forums.

I'm not against science. But science without personal experience is the equivalent of getting a degree from a prestigious University by learning from a book. You ask yourself how the degree applies to the real world because you haven't experienced anything.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I personally believe that the community is scientifically minded because they cannot be in the same room as the speakers mentioned in the reviews.

Perhaps the HiFi hobby is much like exotic cars. Many enthusiasts love to read about supercars knowing that they'll never have an opportunity to drive one.

My deepest frustration is not being able to experience (in person) what I read on these forums.

I'm not against science. But science without personal experience is the equivalent of getting a degree from a prestigious University by learning from a book. You ask yourself how the degree applies to the real world because you haven't experienced anything.
Those subjectives reviews eg Darko etc are pretty useless. It’s like arguing about whether you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream - useless.

These subjective reviews are purely personal and therefore useless to base a purchasing decision on some one else’s subjective review (tastes).

So what remains are scientific facts, which can be replicated anywhere in the world independently of personal influences.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Darko is a doofuss and maybe even a twat. :facepalm: Sigh* he does have great video production though.
He listens to shit. Because If the point is making subjective reviews, the range of music is terrible.

A Spinorama shows what a speaker does, it does not matter what the source behind is, and that is the key aspect.

kokakolia

So what remains are scientific facts, which can be replicated anywhere in the world independently of personal influences.
You put the finger on the problem! Scientific facts aren't enough for me. They give a small window on a product's performance. I want a bigger picture. I want to experience the products in person.

kokakolia

He listens to shit. Because If the point is making subjective reviews, the range of music is terrible.
His Wilson Audio Tune Tot review made me discover Giant Sand. What a great band!

I'm not into weird techno music, but the man has taste.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You put the finger on the problem! Scientific facts aren't enough for me. They give a small window on a product's performance. I want a bigger picture. I want to experience the products in person.
A superficial knowledge of "fields you only learn in books" such as philosophy would tell you how unreliable that is without the data.

His Wilson Audio Tune Tot review made me discover Giant Sand. What a great band!

I'm not into weird techno music, but the man has taste.
No he doesn't. For a Brit, he has never played anything from Carcass, Napalm Death, Benediction or Bolt Thrower.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yes. In person, in my room with my equipment. Only then can I subjectively decide for myself and only myself if I like something. That’s why I don’t care about other reviewers opinions or impressions or preferences as it is only valid for them.

Only scientific facts help to presort any equipment before even buying it for personal review as long as accurate signal reproduction is one’s goal.

kokakolia

A superficial knowledge of "fields you only learn in books" such as philosophy would tell you how unreliable that is without the data.
You think you have a silver bullet with the philosophy example. But philosophers can work for political parties who propose social reforms. Philosophers write books, plays, poems and essays. Philosophers can work for advertising agencies and even large corporations seeking to inspire leadership. Granted, philosophy is a weird example with few obvious job prospects. In school you study philisophy in isolation through the lens of science and textbooks. But in the real world philosophy overlaps with many disciplines like sociology, politics, economics, religion, management and the arts.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Yes. In person, in my room with my equipment. Only then can I subjectively decide for myself and only myself if I like something. That’s why I don’t care about other reviewers opinions or impressions or preferences as it is only valid for them.

Only scientific facts help to presort any equipment before even buying it for personal review as long as accurate signal reproduction is one’s goal.
Scientific data of audio gear cannot account for the massive factor that is your listening space, sure. But at least you get a very clear idea of what that gear does, hence, you can predict what will happen in a space (yours) you already know.

It has worked for me when I got the LS50WII in a room I knew already. It has saved me a lot of hassle and disappointments and I did not knew the speakers beforehand.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You think you have a silver bullet with the philosophy example. But philosophers can work for political parties who propose social reforms. Philosophers write books, plays, poems and essays. Philosophers can work for advertising agencies and even large corporations seeking to inspire leadership. Granted, philosophy is a weird example with few obvious job prospects. In school you study philisophy in isolation through the lens of science and textbooks. But in the real world philosophy overlaps with many disciplines like sociology, politics, economics, religion, management and the arts.
All the cases you mention demonstrate that other fields employ methods of philosophy. Adorno gave it a name: instrumental logic.

Philosophy is about the methods, not the field or the results. Philosophy deals with the truth in statements and how to confirm said truth.

Last edited:

kokakolia

All the cases you mention demonstrate that other fields employ methods of philosophy. Adorno gave it a name: instrumental logic.

Philosophy is about the methods, not the field or the results. Philosophy deals with the truth in statements and how to confirm said truth.
Either way you have to experience your theories in the field no? Science in isolation is boring to me and most people.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Either way you have to experience your theories in the field no? Science in isolation is boring to me and most people.
I don't think you need to experience Newton's discoveries...

On the fun part, that I can agree with.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Scientific data of audio gear cannot account for the massive factor that is your listening space, sure. But at least you get a very clear idea of what that gear does, hence, you can predict what will happen in a space (yours) you already know.

It has worked for me when I got the LS50WII in a room I knew already. It has saved me a lot of hassle and disappointments and I did not knew the speakers beforehand.
Exactly my point.

puppet

First thing I want to do when I read a car safety review that states how the wheels fly off at 75mph ... is to buy it and experience that for myself. I don't really believe the reviewer ... he may have an axe to grind with the car maker. Even if the wheels do fly off, I think he's an asshole for bringing that fact to light. He should of got on board with the car maker and protected their interests first ... let everybody else buy it and try it. You know that the grandma's that use it around town are going to love it ... so subjectively, it's the greatest car ever produced ... an Aston Martin killer.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
p.s. - It has been brought to my attention that my post above can be taken to mean that we should listen to music dispassionately and not listen to it to enjoy it. I did not mean to imply (or state) that at all. The logic and dispassionate attitude are for analysis only.
Science explains why a puncture wound to the femoral artery has really high chances to kill you. That´s why I cover and defend it very well when doing something I´m, super pasionate about: fencing.

Geometry also explains the best way to place the blade, move your feet and reach attack angles. I use that science for something I´m very passionate about.

And science also explains why you need a hefty amount of power and some positioning to get low frequency sound to be amazing, and the ribcage rattling from that is something I´m also pasionate about. :D

Psycher1

Lately I have become really fascinated by the GR Research YT channel, and appreciated his consistent measurement-based approach to analyzing and improving on speaker designs. So much so that I've become seriously interested in his open baffle servo subwoofer offerings, and his NX-Otica open baffle tower speakers. But then he posted those insane "flat earther" videos about speaker cables and now power cables, and it kind of turned my stomach. So I have a couple of questions now...

1) Are his speaker products legitimately good and he's just being kind of a weasel about the cables and whatnot? Or is he a total charlatan?

2) Is there any truth to his claims about good capacitors being "faster" than bad ones? Assuming two different capacitors have the same exact value, do they function identically? (For the sake of this hypothetical, let's ignore any capacitance margin of error which might be more common for cheaper capacitors and assume both ACTUALLY DO have the exact same value, and let's also not get into longevity of electrolytic media, let's just focus on the signal output).

Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on this, not trying to start a war or anything. And yes I know there are multiple threads about this guy already, I've read them. Not trying to diss him, give him extra publicity, etc. Hope my questions are well received. Thanks.

Fully understand, I am going through the exact same dilemma. But, I have some thoughts:
1 - Yes. I have his semi-open baffle X-Statik's. I love them.
2 - Yes. There are equations you can use to identify the rate they drop off. Audible? No idea, probably not.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just how did Danny get a reputation without particular educational credentials in the field at least? What particularly got him on the board so to speak?
Promotion. Good old fashioned huckstering.

TBH, I have zero educational credentials in the field, myself, so I don't find that to be disqualifying. Avoiding sharing experimental methods and results is, however, disqualifying.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Promotion. Good old fashioned huckstering.

TBH, I have zero educational credentials in the field, myself, so I don't find that to be disqualifying. Avoiding sharing experimental methods and results is, however, disqualifying.
Was more interested if it was a driver he made or the diy speaker kits or ..... but suspect he had help other than his own claims in any case.

Top Bottom