• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

YSC

Major Contributor
So you're talking about $1000 active speakers? Forget about the Altec Lansing 5.1

I lift several points:

- "LGK may sound ok in near field"
- "LGK sharp drop below 200hz" <= Add a sub then
- "Experience is useless but I tried several speakers and preferred the Genelec"

It's like the LGK are deemed hot garbage here and have 0 qualities because "they distort at high SPL". Fullrange drivers have undeniable qualities. But if you only look at frequency response and high SPL you'll never get the appeal. Getting rid of the crossover has benefits. You gain efficiency. You avoid phase issues between mutliple drivers. You get a point source.
well, I will give short ans:
1) may sound ok if you've not experienced anything better, much like back in the days any $10 earbuds sounds fantastic when we were a child
2) you need a sub and crossing them at >150hz, it means the placement of sub can't be as free as it's above where one can notice the localization of the sub, and when you add a sub with restricted placement and phase issues, what's the point to get a point source without crossover?? it just becomes a sub+mid-tweeter 2 way man
3) what I meant is not my personal preference of Genelec, what I mean is one can only experience so much, and each step one purchases a new level of stuffs, one would usually feel it's amazing and can't be better, until the better arrives, which is what we called bias and subjective here.

the LGK is deemed hot garbage is because it is touted as Giant killer which it isn't, and the finished pair is costing $1000, at that price it better not distort at NORMAL SPL, mind you, 86db @ 1m is not that high when frequency goes low, equal loudness curve told us you need a lot more going below mids and my problem is what it goes horrendous distort at 200-500hz, and modern music usually contains quite some bass notes, at those bass notes, with the lack of high pass filter in the LGK, it will distort at much lower SPL, so in a desktop, when you never know that is actually something called mid/upper bass, it could sound OK at best but not anything above say, a fostex PM0.4 costing similar to the base LGK kit.

Point source is always good but also difficult as ___ to properly implement, and can be done in some nice engineered coaxial.

kokakolia

Eh, no! The problem is that they distort at low SPL already, so much so that it’s immediately obvious. These things need subs, crossed at least at 150 Hz to mitigate the problems.

Fullrange drivers also have undeniable flaws. Pick you battles ;)
You're just saying with a smirky attitude that "fullrange drivers suck". This is precisely the kind of attitude I expect from ASR. Why does this have to be a battle!?

Why can't everyone be more like Erin and talk about different loudspeaker designs with their advantages/disadvantages?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're just saying with a smirky attitude that "fullrange drivers suck". This is precisely the kind of attitude I expect from ASR.
I just say that they have clear disadvantages as well. It would be foolish to think otherwise.
Why does this have to be a battle!?
It's an expression :facepalm: Don't take everything literally! All speakers are a compromise, so you'll need to figure out which things are important to you, and based on that make decisions... so you: "have to pick your battles". Got it?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You're just saying with a smirky attitude that "fullrange drivers suck". This is precisely the kind of attitude I expect from ASR. Why does this have to be a battle!?

Why can't everyone be more like Erin and talk about different loudspeaker designs with their advantages/disadvantages?

".....This is precisely the kind of attitude I expect from ASR....."

You see the problem?

shumi

Guys, (and I mean the ASR clan), you are coming off as petty and obsessive about your efforts to defame your targeted audio professional with your $100,000 measurement system. Is it true you guys proved no electromagnetic interference on speaker cables from a power cable which was not conducting electricity? Refocus and try to provide a real value to the audio community. As far as these speakers are concerned, we all know that small monitor speakers distort at levels above comfortable listening levels (83dB in stereo configuration, not single) with content which is full range. If you want to play at concert levels and at full range, you should purchase the right (and more expensive)speakers (with multiple drivers). BTW, do us all a favor and once at least, turn both speakers on and do some critical listening. You do listen to music, do you?

Mr. E. Guy

Guys, (and I mean the ASR clan), you are coming off as petty and obsessive about your efforts to defame your targeted audio professional with your $100,000 measurement system. Is it true you guys proved no electromagnetic interference on speaker cables from a power cable which was not conducting electricity? Refocus and try to provide a real value to the audio community. As far as these speakers are concerned, we all know that small monitor speakers distort at levels above comfortable listening levels (83dB in stereo configuration, not single) with content which is full range. If you want to play at concert levels and at full range, you should purchase the right (and more expensive)speakers (with multiple drivers). BTW, do us all a favor and once at least, turn both speakers on and do some critical listening. You do listen to music, do you?
Are you trying to make people feel embarrassed about calling out BS? Do you really think posting measurements is libel?

The only thing a comment like yours will do is provoke more responses, regardless of the topic.

Sonny1

O. I thought the speakers were the talking point of this thread. 3”

You were busted, posting a video of speakers you implied were GR, even though they were not. Just admit it and move on. Your video, including the title was very deceptive. I’m guessing this was no accident. Nice try but the guys on this site are pretty smart and sniffed it out quickly.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as these speakers are concerned, we all know that small monitor speakers distort at levels above comfortable listening levels (83dB in stereo configuration, not single) with content which is full range. If you want to play at concert levels and at full range, you should purchase the right (and more expensive)speakers (with multiple drivers). BTW, do us all a favor and once at least, turn both speakers on and do some critical listening. You do listen to music, do you?
1656421355604.jpeg

mglobe

Forum Donor
ASR is a great forum that has been very helpful to me in selecting and setting up equipment. This is one of a VERY few places on the web where you can get actual measurements on audio gear, and where the testers are not beholden to the advertisers. However, the comments that are personal and judgmental (regardless of who they are directed towards) detract from the value here. If I were a moderator (and I’m certainly not volunteering!) I would shut this “discussion” down.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is it true you guys proved no electromagnetic interference on speaker cables from a power cable which was not conducting electricity?

You don't believe a plugged in cord has a magnetic field? You sure about that?

BTW, do us all a favor and once at least, turn both speakers on and do some critical listening.

If you're here just to add to the troll invasion, it's getting less and less amusing the more the tired old nonsense is trotted out.

So, do us all a favor and either contribute in good faith, or find your way to a place where this silliness is encouraged.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm guessing that you're gonna tell me that any small fullrange driver is hot garbage and you'd be stupid for even considering one. Just do a 2 way crossover with a tweeter and a woofer like everyone else.
Well, I wouldn't tell you that ;)

I will offer a size-related tidbit here that are - I think (hope!) tangentially related to the topic of this thread. :)
I think that the "optimal" size for an extended range driver ("fullrange" is a convenient term of art for a single-driver loudspeaker, but a bit too optimistic even for me) is in the range of 6 to 8 inches. (i.e., 150 to 200 mm, give or take) -- although, for best results (as they say) some means of extending HF (e.g., dual compliance cone suspension, a parastic ("whizzer") cone, and/or a domed and/or metal dustcap will help with extension, if not necessarily with smoothness.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR Clan? You've been here 2 years. Doesn't that make you part of the clan also?

(Hint - ASR is not a hive mind. Each member is their own person)

And the speakers distorted at low level according to the test carried out - not "above comfortable listening levels", Nor "concert levels". So, as others have pointed out, take your straw manning / trolling elsewhere.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a new video detailing that a open circuit of AC electricity does indeed affect interconnects. You could watch that and learn something new.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, do us all a favor and once at least, turn both speakers on and do some critical listening. You do listen to music, do you?
I did listen critically and that is how I found the clip that brings out this distortion. It is the company that lacks critical listening skills to release a speaker with such obvious distortion.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did listen critically and that is how I found the clip that brings out this distortion. It is the company that lacks critical listening skills to release a speaker with such obvious distortion.
I suspect @shumi just came to rag/troll on ASR because he is annoyed and can't explain what he reads and hears. :facepalm:

Indy

This is one of the reasons I appreciate ASR. It's not just measurements when it comes to speakers. To me, listening is more important.

Top Bottom