• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You missed enough damping material! ;)

All your fault. ;)

Lol, Danny seems to have forgotten that the tested speaker had damping material as per his email...

Ofc, more is better if you are Danny. ;) Still has not fixed his instructions but says “watch the video”. For the LGK2, there are already 2 videos and neither is how to build them.

Would be so much better if he simply fixed his own mistakes.:)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If this is the case then it shouldn't be called 10w rms full range capable. Actually is shouldn't even be called fullrange, more like a big bad tweeter.

No its normal that the max, rms power tells you nothing about thd.

TwoEyedJack

No its normal that the max, rms power tells you nothing about thd.
I see it has more to do with driver "safety" guidelines..?

Well then If i where to play two of them at 1w each i would get 84db+3db because of the second source acoustic reinforcement 87 db there you go crystal clear vocals at more than 86 db. o_O

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Lol, Danny seems to have forgotten that the tested speaker had damping material as per his email...

Ofc, more is better if you are Danny. ;) Still has not fixed his instructions but says “watch the video”. For the LGK2, there are already 2 videos and neither is how to build them.

"..Would be so much better if he simply fixed his own mistakes.."

In german i would say: "Der Zug ist abgefahren"
But iam not sure if i translate to:"This train has left alteady" is realy to understand.

DanielT

Major Contributor

In with stuff so it gets completely full of ditto. What will happen then? Resonances will MAYBE, observe MAYBE, reduce a bit BUT the efficiency decreases. Probably, I will add. Then you need to play at a higher volume .... which leads back to the problems with distortion .... when you play at a higher volume with them.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I see it has more to do with driver "safety" guidelines..?

Well then If i where to play two of them at 1w each i would get 84db+3db because of the second source acoustic reinforcement 87 db there you go crystal clear vocals at more than 86 db. o_O

Sure, put them in a corner and use 4 of them. The problem is how to compare to other single speaker, free field measurements?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sure, put them in a corner and use 4 of them. The problem is how to compare to other single speaker, free field measurements?
More! Lots of small drivers in each speaker. But then it will be something completely different. Which by the way should not be compared with LGK 2.0. These are completely different beasts.

This should be done with small broadband elements:

20220105_112711 (1).jpg

These broadband elements in ppataki's line speakers:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

But iam not sure if i translate to:"This train has left alteady" is realy to understand.
auf Englisch sagt man typisch:
That train has left the station.
or
That ship has sailed.

:)

More! Lots of small drivers in each speaker. But then it will be something completely different. Which by the way should not be compared with LGK 2.0. These are completely different beasts.

This should be done with small broadband elements:

View attachment 214865

These broadband elements in ppataki's line speakers:

Whoa, that image is disorienting! ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

No, that works.

As does "that horse has bolted"
"That ship has sailed"

Probably some others.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Whoa, that image is disorienting! ;)
He he. :D

You probably know this but for general information:

Solution is spelled into a lot of EQ. If I got it all right with line speakers. How they work, in ordinary listening, living room that is. Incidentally, it is addressed in the thread, thoughts and solutions around it.

The advantage of line speakers is how they handle, ...lack of ?, floor and ceiling sound reflexes ... If they are tall enough that is.:)

WAF handle. Well, that's another matter.:p
(everyone with a wife knows that)

Last edited:

TwoEyedJack

This guy.

He says amirm doesnt know how to use the equipment and then goes ahead to say that klippel nfc takes measurements from all around the speaker and averages them? What? He even dares to compare it to the CLIO.

also he thinks that if you add two sources playing on the same lvl you are going to get 10db of spl.... what.??

DanielT

Major Contributor
No, that works.

As does "that horse has bolted"
"That ship has sailed"

Probably some others.
Mega OT:
Or, Archbishop Anton Niklas Sundberg:

Sundberg was considered a very outspoken person, especially considering his position as archbishop. An example of Sundberg's agility is a story where, when he just missed the train, he alleged said: There the train went to hell, and I who was going with it.

Next to divinity and morality, there is nothing worse than small shot glasses! [7]

Next to subjective audiofanning, there is nothing worse than small broadband drivers.
...:D
Which are not used as they were intended, what they fit.Which is as middle register elements. Broadband kiss my a ***)
(Or as small desktop speakers instead of the speaker in the laptop, tablet. They should be cheap then, we do not speak directly "High end" sound in that case)

Edit
Those who are engaged in subjective audiofanning. I do not dislike them as persons. Best to add. Their waffle, on the other hand.:)

Last edited:

squeedle

Apparently Danny follows the "I know you are but what am I" school of speaker design.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mega OT:
Or, Archbishop Anton Niklas Sundberg:

Sundberg was considered a very outspoken person, especially considering his position as archbishop. An example of Sundberg's agility is a story where, when he just missed the train, he alleged said: There the train went to hell, and I who was going with it.

Next to divinity and morality, there is nothing worse than small shot glasses! [7]

Next to subjective audiofanning, there is nothing worse than small broadband drivers.
...:D
Which are not used as they were intended, what they fit.Which is as middle register elements. Broadband kiss my a ***)
(Or as small desktop speakers instead of the speaker in the laptop, tablet. They should be cheap then, we do not speak directly "High end" sound in that case)

Edit
Those who are engaged in subjective audiofanning. I do not dislike them as persons. Best to add. Their waffle, on the other hand.:)
I like the shot glass quote :)

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I personally have no interest at all in bif, and also listen at very low SPL in a small dedicated room and hence do not need any big multi way system. Simply in my experience with small full range drivers 3" is too small.
My current main system is based on a 4", a little bigger than a 3", but the difference is huge, subjectively and also by measurements, of course...View attachment 211980
Speaker cones are much more characterized by area than diameter... and linear excursion, stiffness and deformation, mass, restoring force and mechanical resonance.
The ideal audio driver is wondrously elusive. And outsmarting physics with multiple drivers brings whole new issues. :)

AudioKC

Should that small speaker play louder than 80dB? 80dB for table setup is quite unbearable for longer than 1 song IMO. But it might help Danny customers if he says that explicitly that "do not drive it louder than 80-83dB", which is fine level for me for example.

AudioKC

I see the issue, from the product page:

"smooth response from 80 Hz... and at an impressive 84 db"

This is misleading indeed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see the issue, from the product page:

This is misleading indeed.
It's teeny weeny little drivers put into a oversized cabinet with a high price tag attached for R&D and knowledge. I would not pay more than ~150.00 for the kit. I see the kit as being a nice project for a father/mother and daughter/son project. To ask that ~$1013 for the finished speakers is shameful and gouging. I thought I had seen it all but this is a new one.

Top Bottom