• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Somafunk

Major Contributor
This is disturbing. The accolades from sources like this.

Not disturbing at all in my opinion as those publication/online sites regularly shill & grift equipment and tweaks that anyone with a sliver of electrical/electronic education can identify as very suspect, it’s easy to go in on certain reviews with all guns blazing which ultimately only engenders an “us vs them” standoff, I’ve found it to be most beneficial to ask pertinent questions regarding design/materials/testing protocols whilst offering faint praise for one element of the product as then you begin to get involvement and perhaps raise questions from other interested parties that are learning to question what is little more than a tarted up press release.

Last edited:

Rikard

We have many passionate members that consider us their "home" as do others. I myself have a ton of posts. Does that mean I am paying myself to post??? :D

Besides, I would go broke if I pay per post at the rate you are talking about!!!
ASR have many talent followers and they do follow all what you say and they want to use it. But some of their language does not fit the subject/object.
You talk about paying post, not me. Only that it seams like some followers does. That you can’t control. Neither me. Only observing.

Rikard

I expect nothing from them, anybody with a modicum of acoustic knowledge knows that asking a 3" driver that is really only suited to use as a midrange to produce low end is utterly insane.

Unless you're a total shyster, trying to sell people on pointless cap upgrades and bogus tube connectors.
Whom from “them” spoke about low end (3” can not give 86dB at 30hz) so it competes with a midrange woofer?

About upgrades so do they great things now days. I don’t boil my coffee on the stove, I have a Moccamaster and it brewing the s—it of these coffee beans. Tastes great. Upgrades matter. Listening also.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Whom from “them” spoke about low end (3” can not give 86dB at 30hz) so it competes with a midrange woofer?

About upgrades so do they great things now days. I don’t boil my coffee on the stove, I have a Moccamaster and it brewing the s—it of these coffee beans. Tastes great. Upgrades matter. Listening also.
? I'm confused or maybe not but you seem to be denigrating factual empirical observation. A 3" driver cannot make meaningful bass and crossover upgrade(s) like Danny is offering are pointless. His entire premise on the LGK speakers is absurd. We are not making coffee.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
ASR have many talent followers and they do follow all what you say and they want to use it.
That would be a dream if it were true. Every day I deal with so many people arguing with me and my reviews. I spend more time answering those challenges than actually doing reviews! Even with the worst designed equipment people come to the defenses of the indefensible. Even the regulars challenge me on the frequent basis.

Remember, I only recommend 1/3 of what I test. So there is tons and tons of negative reviews to object to. And on daily basis no less!

I mean you are here to complain right? You even challenged my and member ethics. If we allow this, what makes you think this place is full of disciples?

Yes, we have attracted a lot of people who see the value of being able to back and opinion with objective data. And those people are also highly technical to boot. So when something is good, it is good. And when it is not as in the case of this speaker, it gets a beating.

When I first started to test speakers, I almost gave up as far as so many people objecting to measurements being valid. But over time people learned the efficacy and value of them and it is now the norm here. Outside though, people still worship subjectivist youtube videos and that of salespeople pushing their own product. They are a much larger crowd than we are. Hopefully over time this changes and we do get to a place where what I said, backed by solid data, is taken at face value. Until then, I waste time answering this as opposed to posting the next speaker review....

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm no stranger to upgrades. However, if we're going for the coffee analogy - this would be like me buying a Gaggia Classic Pro and expecting with an "upgraded" pump I'd end up with performance on par with an ECM Synchronika, ignoring all its other problems.

"Them" in this case refers to the drivers. It's a midrange, probably suitable for crossing around 550-600Hz and 2-3KHz. It loses composure above and below that.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Says far more about your circle of friends/acquaintances than you think
Hmm, taking this out of the context of my post eh'?
You really think I posted what I did without having taken taken a long introspective look at people?
It says what it says about my views on people.
Additionally, I was referring broadly to all the people I have ever met or heard about, not just my personal relationships.

What you are focused on might say more about your lack of understanding regarding the state of affairs' in the human condition. Best to get to work investigating what it has and has not taken to have the lifestyle most of us have on a Hifi forum.
Good luck making money that is not in some way taking advantage of other people. One mans blessing is usually another's curse. There is healthy opportunity in the world, yet hardly anyone can count on it as their only means of income at this juncture in time and those with significant wealth are almost always taking far, far more from others then they give back. This happens in many myriad ways far beyond what has to be said here.

I have met very few responsible saints & a whole mess of finger pointers. (including myself, I am not a saint)

In any case, my point is look in the mirror 1st and foremost. It has to start at home.
In no way do I defend GR per say, just note the 2 way street.
I feel like a lot of triggered folks are coming down way to heavy on Danny at a personal level.

Who in their right mind thinks a single 3" driver is true HiFi speaker and will be usable beyond low SPL listening, let alone worth a grip of $?
GR publishes the specs for the driver and you can even just buy the RAW drivers so no attempt has been made to hide the performance and part cost.
Download WINISD for FREE, plug in the parameters and in 10minutes you can have all the basic data required to vet this on value proposition scale.
Any buyer has to be as responsible here as GR. Only a true fool (or a true patron of the arts ) buys this & we all have been fooled many times in life in HiFi and everywhere else - so take it on the chin and move along.

This speaker is worse than a dubious value - no doubt. It is in no way the worst offender in the HiFi consumer place and nearly every single company has at least 1 or 2 total dud products.
If you want a 3-4" single driver system many options exist for less money and perhaps equal or better performance.

...Or spend even more and get even more fooled :) - Look at this single driver model.
4" inches is more realistic for her pleasure though the Sterophile testing indicated a pretty crappy speaker for $3000+USD. No motion in that ocean.
I do like the look of it though.
GR's speaker is starting to look like a heck of a value now!
I actually purchased some Mark Audio drivers to make a DIY, DSP version because it seems like a good time.
1655765252207.png

YUM! (or WTF)

1655765347616.png

1655765369366.png

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
O. I thought the speakers were the talking point of this thread. 3”

No complaint here, but this is a review thread for a particular speaker.

Was just noting that, despite supposedly sharing a common driver, the youtuber's speaker is not the same one that is reviewed by Amir.

Last edited:

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No complaint here, but it is a review thread for a particular speaker.

Was just noting that, despite supposedly sharing a common driver, the youtuber's speaker is not the same one that is reviewed by Amir.
True, but useful context that you can get single-driver speakers that can perform better in terms of SPL and distortion fairly easily. I built a Fostex FF125 BR kit and, with active EQ and a passive notch filter, get bass down to 40 Hz and low distortion above 100 Hz to reasonable SPLs.

Kevinfc

They really look very cheap from an aesthetic point of view aside from the measurement. I always wondered about these speakers.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
They really look very cheap from an aesthetic point of view aside from the measurement. I always wondered about these speakers.

It's a kit. The enclosure can be finished or veneered, but the point of this particular build was to make it suitable for testing, not visual aesthetics or spousal approval. :cool:

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
That would be a dream if it were true. Every day I deal with so many people arguing with me and my reviews. I spend more time answering those challenges than actually doing reviews! Even with the worst designed equipment people come to the defenses of the indefensible. Even the regulars challenge me on the frequent basis.

Remember, I only recommend 1/3 of what I test. So there is tons and tons of negative reviews to object to. And on daily basis no less!

I mean you are here to complain right? You even challenged my and member ethics. If we allow this, what makes you think this place is full of disciples?

Yes, we have attracted a lot of people who see the value of being able to back and opinion with objective data. And those people are also highly technical to boot. So when something is good, it is good. And when it is not as in the case of this speaker, it gets a beating.

When I first started to test speakers, I almost gave up as far as so many people objecting to measurements being valid. But over time people learned the efficacy and value of them and it is now the norm here. Outside though, people still worship subjectivist youtube videos and that of salespeople pushing their own product. They are a much larger crowd than we are. Hopefully over time this changes and we do get to a place where what I said, backed by solid data, is taken at face value. Until then, I waste time answering this as opposed to posting the next speaker review....
At the risk of sounding like a suck up I appreciate what you do.

YSC

Major Contributor
Good to see he was using cable risers throughout to ensure proper sound quality was achieved. sigh* :facepalm: Sarcasm </off>.
In the setup I am wholeheartedly believe in Danny! But may I ask…

In such setup what’s the point I get the little almost dwarf speakers and not a bigger 5”/6” main…. It just looks weird

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Looking especially thru this tread of LGK and I see so many comments from the same people, that this makes me wonder if they get paid to do this. One Major Donator has posted 12,5 comments per day since December 2019. He’s /she’s a troll? Do this for a living? Do they fit in to this forum at all? Anything to complain about is his thing. Freedom of speech rules, but this is so suspicious. Amir, Gene, anyone?

You are new, have 8 posts and try to complain about people that are years here and have thousends of posts?
Something must be wrong with you.

Let me add, i think you are just someone that got fooled. Now you try to fight against the person that showed you got fooled. Normal reaction, but not wise.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
This is disturbing. The accolades from sources like this.
View attachment 213814

It seems like all these "honors" date from over decade ago, when perhaps he still had a technically competent partner -- the "G" in "GR Research." Assuming they indicate actual merit, it seems like the remaining dude -- the business administration guy -- has thoroughly lost the plot.

ThoFi

I read review and all comments here and I agree that the speaker is crap.
And I also must criticize that because of hundreds useless, mostly repetitive comments it makes it hard to find the useful once.
amirs measurements are an eye opener!

Top Bottom