• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Rikard

? I'm confused or maybe not but you seem to be denigrating factual empirical observation. A 3" driver cannot make meaningful bass and crossover upgrade(s) like Danny is offering are pointless. His entire premise on the LGK speakers is absurd. We are not making coffee.
Hi. No it can’t, BUT if you took the time to listen (you can look the other way when Danny shows up) to what is said about the speakers ability, before you hit the keyboard, then you would had known.
I like my coffee hot and with some milk.
By the way, you have a lot of post, so you and I can keep up this for some time. We can agree to disagree.

Rikard

I don't think it is disturbing at all - look at the dates on those awards. One could argue that GR hasn't put out a truly novel design in nearly 15 years.
True! Don’t disagree with that. But he's most certainly confident in his product-line and it’s performance. There are not that many innovations among speaker designs. See on the awards they give to whiskey or wine producer. Same thing with barley or grape and still they compete. Not that much difference from the year before. It’s this too sell more…… I’ll guess.

Rikard

I read review and all comments here and I agree that the speaker is crap.
And I also must criticize that because of hundreds useless, mostly repetitive comments it makes it hard to find the useful once.
amirs measurements are an eye opener!
By this reply there are 641! comments. So GR do make people (some) spin. Many comments are juveniles and out of topic. Just being worse then the other comment.
Measurement is one thing, but we listened to music, not measure it. Have you listened to them? I would like to buy them, to try, to use by my computer, instead for my Dayton 95’s (Soundimport), but the freight cost abroad is a giant killer.

Rikard

It seems like all these "honors" date from over decade ago, when perhaps he still had a technically competent partner -- the "G" in "GR Research." Assuming they indicate actual merit, it seems like the remaining dude -- the business administration guy -- has thoroughly lost the plot.
Might be so, I don’t know. But a diploma on the wall does not show life long experience. Working with things all your life does give you experience. Knowledge and know how.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
By this reply there are 641! comments. So GR do make people (some) spin. Many comments are juveniles and out of topic. Just being worse then the other comment.
Measurement is one thing, but we listened to music, not measure it. Have you listened to them? I would like to buy them, to try, to use by my computer, instead for my Dayton 95’s (Soundimport), but the freight cost abroad is a giant killer.

Why not ask gr research? Maybe they are happy to send them cheap?

Rikard

You are new, have 8 posts and try to complain about people that are years here and have thousends of posts?
Something must be wrong with you.

Let me add, i think you are just someone that got fooled. Now you try to fight against the person that showed you got fooled. Normal reaction, but not wise.
Yes im new. Only 57 years and have used my stereo system since I was 15. Have been working on a Expert store and sold common stereo systems to common people between 1988-2004. Now days can I afford some more expensive equipment. I only read reviews and tests from different sites and YouTube. Some people have a lot of posts, then they do have a opinions about things. But are they all correct and right? Don’t believe so. Many comments are plain gloating. This is not all about GR, but so many others get a bit of the shovel. One give a comment and the next must come up with something worser to say. No experience of the product.
Wrong with me? Might be so but I have a point and sense.
I listen and see what other say about products. ASR have provided some information but others give a more human feeling and sound test. Measurement does a part but actual listen are my goal.
Fooled? Might been so, but I checked so many reviewers before I purchases anything today. ASR is one but reading comments that follow, are usually disappointing.
See David and Goliath if you think I should bend for peoples that I disagree with.
Lets agree that we disagree. I will turn on my stereo and listen to some music.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. No it can’t, BUT if you took the time to listen (you can look the other way when Danny shows up) to what is said about the speakers ability, before you hit the keyboard, then you would had known.
I like my coffee hot and with some milk.
By the way, you have a lot of post, so you and I can keep up this for some time. We can agree to disagree.

Nobody has to listen to Danny if they rather not, they can see what is posted on his website...

1655837389886.png

I read "smooth response from 80 Hz... and at an impressive 84 db".

Furthermore "This model is perfect for small rooms... they will easily punch far above their weight class".

Yes, Danny is spinning these claims after the fact, but these claims existed before his videos (and still do as shown above).

Amir measured and listened (as did I before I shipped them). If you read the build thread, I stated how easily they bottom out as I changed from one track to another with more bass.

There are so many other good choices than LGK2s. I see no case for any FOMO over these speakers. :)

Last edited:

Rikard

Why not ask gr research? Maybe they are happy to send them cheap?
Have bought the sealed servo sub kit (same as Rhytmik F12?) and know what freight cost and VAT means for us in the EU. DHL aren’t cheap. VAT and toll costs is a giant killer.
GR don’t give away, because they are a company with employees. It’s not charity he does. I do believe they have full return policy on faulty products. Freight cost although.
Soundimport are cheaper but they don’t have the same products. One day will I order some ICE power amps from them.
As a EU citizens and you also, then you know.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I will turn on my stereo and listen to some music.

Awesome.

That's enough for you in this thread. You are simply repeating yourself over and over. In other words, you are becoming a troll. You can stop now.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
What does this mean really? That I no longer have to pay you all to post? You realize how much money I have saved now?
Amir, I did NOT agree to you stopping my payment checks. Please continue paying me. I need the 1 cent per post to keep buying my groceries as a retiree! Inflation, supply chain issues, and hoarding all hits us retirees. :)

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Might be so, I don’t know. But a diploma on the wall does not show life long experience. Working with things all your life does give you experience. Knowledge and know how.

There are aspects of engineering that require a fairly thorough knowledge of the underlying science. Unless one is motivated to do some rigorous study of the relevant science, the results of learning via immersion and even "life long experience" tend to be less than what it takes to speak authoritatively on subjects that are beyond what can be understood by strictly "hands on" experience. In the absence of the discipline acquired through the formal study imposed in the course of getting a professional degree or equivalent credential, one must be exceptionally self-disciplined in obtaining the requisite knowledge -- the quasi-scientific nonsense peddled by the likes of Danny Richie indicates that he is not one of the rather rare individuals who are credible self-taught engineers qualified to helpfully and accurately inform the rest of us.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
There are aspects of engineering that require a fairly thorough knowledge of the underlying science. Unless one is motivated to do some rigorous study of the relevant science, the results of learning via immersion and even "life long experience" tend to be less than it takes to speak authoritatively on subjects that are beyond what can be understood by strictly "hands on" experience. In the absence of the discipline acquired through the formal study imposed in the course of getting a professional degree or equivalent credential, one must be exceptionally self-disciplined in obtaining the requisite knowledge -- the quasi-scientific nonsense peddled by the likes of Danny Richie indicates that he is not one of rather rare individuals who are credible self-taught engineers qualified to helpfully and accurately inform the rest of us.
Sometimes it doesn’t matter one is not the best in class, diy kits imo is allowed to be a bit worse than the all factory made stuffs. But snake oil is another beast

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I wonder how the LGK stacks up against FR based speakers from Fostex, Markaudio, Tang Band etc...

Buy them all and drop-ship them to Amir. After a few months you will know :)

dougi

I wonder how the LGK stacks up against FR based speakers from Fostex, Markaudio, Tang Band etc...
I posted a quick example of my Fostex FF125 kit in room at post #93 in this thread. I have not measured SPL capability yet though but distortion is very good > 100 Hz at normal listening levels (for me).

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Sometimes it doesn’t matter one is not the best in class, diy kits imo is allowed to be a bit worse than the all factory made stuffs. But snake oil is another beast

My post was not about his products, some of which may well have some merit. It was an attempt to explain why I can't take him seriously as a source of technical information that's clearly outside his "I learned it by doing it" wheelhouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: YSC

tomtoo

Major Contributor
We should compare.

100$ a pair.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
We should compare.

100$ a pair.

Buy it and have it drop-shipped to @Rick Sykora

Top Bottom