• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

YSC

Major Contributor
My post was not about his products, some which may well have some merit. It was an attempt to explain why I can't take him seriously as a source of technical information that's clearly outside his "I learned it by doing it" wheelhouse.
right, same here, for me the most trusted sources on the web are the kowledgable person without any business incentive on web, even a very professional guy would need a stance to promote his own company

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Buy it and have it drop-shipped to @Rick Sykora
Thanks. Rick already bought it on my credit card. :) It is an ugly looking thing but maybe it performs. The contrast in price is incredibly though. $99 for a pair compared to $430 for LGK 2.0.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks. Rick already bought it on my credit card. :) It is an ugly looking thing but maybe it performs. The contrast in price is incredibly though. $99 for a pair compared to $430 for LGK 2.0.
The driver looks similar so I won’t have high hope for it, but then now this is what a replacement speaker for pc at reasonable price, plus a good start point for kids to learn building own toy

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The driver looks similar so I won’t have high hope for it,
But wait... I can take the tube connector from LGK and put it on that! That should make it sound so much better....

tomtoo

Major Contributor
... this will be interesting, can I pre-subscribe? I'm going to have to stock up on popcorn. :cool:

JSmith

I have stolen from you. I give it back. ;)
438180c0afd051439f68d4c9bc5aa6e4.gif

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Interesting would be how big is the difference after eq?

YSC

Major Contributor
But wait... I can take the tube connector from LGK and put it on that! That should make it sound so much better....
Nice you proposed this yourself! A fun and priority test imo to measure it as a kit, and swap the fantastic connectors to measure again and do some myth busting fun

DSJR

Major Contributor
Aren't they crimped on?

I was told ages ago in fairness that a tightly crimped connection can be something of a 'cold weld' (so better than a screw or plain solder join and the solder can make it as air tight as possible (a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing here). The belief systems in this industry (not just the hobby side) are horrendous, but it's been fun trying to learn my way out of it...

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Aren't they crimped on?

I was told ages ago in fairness that a tightly crimped connection can be something of a 'cold weld' (so better than a screw or plain solder join and the solder can make it as air tight as possible (a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing here). The belief systems in this industry (not just the hobby side) are horrendous, but it's been fun trying to learn my way out of it...

Installing those "tube connectors" involves both crimping and soldering -- honestly, they appear to be a giant PITA.
tubeconnector.png

DSJR

Major Contributor
For audio frequencies, I'd totally agree and I suppose that's why US amplifier owners (primarily) generally prefer spade connectors?

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For audio frequencies, I'd totally agree and I suppose that's why US amplifier owners (primarily) generally prefer spade connectors?

We'd have to take a poll. I for one prefer solder-tinned bare wire ends -- but, in certain situations I do resort to banana plugs. I haven't used spade lugs since the previous century, when many speakers like my late, lamented E-Vs still had crude screw terminals with knurled nuts instead of today's five-way binding posts (and the occasional spring-loaded insertion connector, nowadays found only the very lowest-cost models).

DSJR

Major Contributor
I cheated with my 1971 IMF Compacts and even earlier Wharfedale Denton W20's, both with nasty (to me) screw terminals. The thread of the screw insert is exactly the same as many older 4mm binding posts and these screw straight in, so no butchery of the terminal block.

At you Mr Ritchie - Rubberised cone surround, cast chassis in a bottom range speaker - wool sheet filling - and no, I've no intention of replacing the 8uF cap in there - that's the LEAST of any issues this endearing old speaker may have :D (it's a touch on the 'foggy' side and everything sounds equally 'nice' which was fine for low budget stereo's of the time, fed by a Garrard SP25 turntable with G800 or AT55/66 cartridge!

DSCF2059.JPG

DSCF2058 crop n zoom.JPG

Here in the UK, 4mm banana plugs are the standard although the short lived BFA plugs can still be found (Z Plugs work on both and I'm happy with them as long as they're not snagged)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Have you ever thought of taking the cheapest $2 speaker terminal cup with steel nuts and possibly steel posts (or ferromagnetic as Danny says), and test them against the tube connectors? It would be interesting to see no difference, or as I always say "no audible difference". But I guess if you did that he would think you really do have a vendetta against him. I guess maybe we shouldn't poke him for awhile. He has been drawn and quartered ever since your review which showed them to be total junk. Oh and remember, Power to the Panther!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

index.php

Is the Charles King quoted above tape, FM tuner, Quad ESL (and Cello) guru Charles "Stellavox" King?!?

Top Bottom