• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

beagleman

Major Contributor
On what basis you are so sure? You have not listened to it, right?
Busted.....~!!

No I have not for sure. I was only assuming it can not be "That" bad.....:facepalm: ((humour/sarcasm))

Additional evidence....I need to take this in first. :)

Last edited:

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Okay, quite amusing rant there!

But I have one question......

Have you heard the speaker, or are you Calling it junk based on price and measured distortion?

I see it as a poor value, BUT, for a 3" full range speaker, I am sure it is relatively normal performance.
I would think at normal desktop levels, with TWO speakers playing, it would sound "Decent" and okay at least.

to develop a speaker it is very important that the case fit in size to the speaker parameter. TSP (thiele small parameters) are used to find the correct case that fit to the damping of the speaker. It give also very much distortion(it depend on driver strength) when close the bass port of a bassreflex speaker. for example this is the waveform of a sine tone of 50 hz (when i remember correct) on closed port in kali lp6 i do longtime ago. the tone can hear very much that it sound not as a clean sine tone. I have add wav so can hear how this sound. can on abx foobar compare easy hear. sorry to say the distortion chart of this LGK 2 speaker look as it does not fit for this case and port design.

thats the waveform how it look when port is close with many large pressed foam i put into port. it was only around 70 db volume. distortion on measure increase of course too and even more when it is louder.

if you like the sound with closes port better is another thing. in music rock bass is distort too. so for people that like distort basses this lgk are maybe nice. but it is not hifi

close bassport.jpg

Attachments

• with bass port.zip
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • without bassport.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 49

soundintubes

Audio Company
You are welcome.
You made the claim. The burden of proof lies with you, not me doing the research for your false statements.
If you knew the measurements existed but withheld them until the later post, this served no purpose except to inflate your self-importance.
In scientific discussion in a public forum it is entirely acceptable for one person to provide conjecture, while another provides evidence to support or refute. This is an important principle of scientific community in general. A false statement is presented as absolute truth without question.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Okay, quite amusing rant there!

But I have one question......

Have you heard the speaker, or are you Calling it junk based on price and measured distortion?

I see it as a poor value, BUT, for a 3" full range speaker, I am sure it is relatively normal performance.
I would think at normal desktop levels, with TWO speakers playing, it would sound "Decent" and okay at least.
if you watch Amir's Youtube vid, we ALL get a chance to listen to it replaying the distortion in the bass which is a shame. Amir also says the mids can be quite good otherwise if the bass wasn't modulating them.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
if you watch Amir's Youtube vid, we ALL get a chance to listen to it replaying the distortion in the bass which is a shame. Amir also says the mids can be quite good otherwise if the bass wasn't modulating them.
Dang. OK. Guess I'll have to watch (listen to) the video review.

DSJR

Major Contributor

kokakolia

So I'm not on board with AudioScienceReview's snarky attitude.

But they get the "W" thanks to the thorough YouTube review.

Yes, the distortion is audible. A speaker costing $1000 shouldn't distort like this.
But do you really have to act so righteous about it? You don't have to answer. You made your point.

Furthermore, GR Research posted a "follow-up" video and it seems like he's back to the drawing board:

Happy now?

From my perspective the situation stinks. GR Research were arrogant to release an unfinished product with their brand on it.
And AudioScienceReview were like sharks smelling blood.

I demand a redemption arc for GR Research and I look forward to the LGK 3.0 review!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But do you really have to act so righteous about it?
How should we act in your opinion when a ripoff is blatantly offered to the public?
Furthermore, GR Research posted a "follow-up" video and it seems like he's back to the drawing board:
It's called damage control.
From my perspective the situation stinks. GR Research were arrogant to release an unfinished product with their brand on it.
Perhaps we should have offered a bottle of wine and a fruit basket instead?

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Yes, the distortion is audible. A speaker costing $1000 shouldn't distort like this.
But do you really have to act so righteous about it? You don't have to answer. You made your point.

Happy now?

I demand a redemption arc for GR Research and I look forward to the LGK 3.0 review!

Whats wrong with you? Its a 500$ speaker, it was on the testbench.

No sharks, no blood. Just a not very well performing speaker.

kokakolia

Perhaps we should have offered a bottle of wine and a fruit basket instead?
Heck yeah! Have a meet and greet. Eat fruit. Talk about the speaker. Point out the glaring flaw (distortion). Go back to the drawing board. Build a better speaker.

Yes it's too late now. Damage control is the only option.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Happy now?

Yeah, don't worry about it, the dude will change/improve his speaker designs or he won't, it's not a big deal - but what is important is consumers having objective measurements on which to judge & then buy speakers......so thank god really!

Ageve

It might seem that way, but Danny makes a living of dissing other speaker manufacturers, and selling mods to "improve" them. By doing that, and by frankly having a complacent attitude in his videos, he opens himself up to criticism.

I mean, the guy talks about "obvious" differences between binding posts, resistors and capacitors, yet he releases a product that sounds horrible. Thanks to Amir reviewing it, he's now back to the drawing board, and that's a good thing for potential customers. So if anything, ASR did him a favour.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Whats wrong with you? Its a 500$ speaker, it was on the testbench.

No sharks, no blood. Just a not very well performing speaker.
Well, for one speaker though, Amir:
".. fully finished pair ($ 1,038)."

There is really nothing wrong with a few small speakers, to the laptop. If you set the bar higher than the sound you get from the laptop's own speakers ..... but .... 1,038 ... that's the crux.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Well, for one speaker though, Amir:
".. fully finished pair ($ 1,038)."

There is really nothing wrong with a few small speakers, to the laptop. If you set the bar higher than the sound you get from the laptop's own speakers ..... but .... 1,038 ... that's the crux.

Sure thats the crux. If GR research likes to compete in the desktop speaker market, they should come up with somethink better, at least from my point of view. No blood no sharks.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It might seem that way, but Danny makes a living of dissing other speaker manufacturers, and selling mods to "improve" them. By doing that, and by frankly having a complacent attitude in his videos, he opens himself up to criticism.

I mean, the guy talks about "obvious" differences between binding posts, resistors and capacitors, yet he releases a product that sounds horrible. Thanks to Amir reviewing it, he's now back to the drawing board, and that's a good thing for potential customers. So if anything, ASR did him a favour.
How does the old saying goes, live by the sword, die by the sword.
He thought he can take B&W, Dynaudio, KEF, and Focal to school.
Well, Amir just pointed out that his Giant Killer has some growing to do.

P.S. I forgot to add Revel to the above group. ;)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Better? You mean lower price for them?
Really much lower in this case. ;)
Yes, like tops ~$325.00 for the pair assembled. One must consider what they are getting. A single little driver, some sort of filtering and a cabinet. I can only think he has a cult following and that's why he gets away with this blatant ripoff.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, like tops ~$325.00 for the pair assembled. One must consider what they are getting. A single little driver, some sort of filtering and a cabinet. I can only think he has a cult following and that's why he gets away with this blatant ripoff.
In addition .These expensive connectors, crossover parts and so on. Over 2000 years old word of wisdom:

"The phrase derives from Matthew 23:24, 'Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel'."

Edit:
I'm not a religious dude, but that's a good expression, say, I think. :)

Last edited:

puppet

How does the old saying goes, live by the sword, die by the sword.
He thought he can take B&W, Dynaudio, KEF, and Focal to school.
Well, Amir just pointed out that his Giant Killer has some growing to do.

P.S. I forgot to add Revel to the above group. ;)
There are plenty of offerings on his site. Honestly, wonder how there hasn't been a cease and desist order from some of these makers at this point.

Top Bottom