• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
Golden phase plugs cost money...:)
He he..:)

Speaking of potential, small broadband elements.25 pieces of tc9 in each loudspeaker. Wesayso's speakers::)

inroom.jpg

Or ppataki's
(with another broadband element)

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/murphys-corner-line-array-project.25983/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Uhhh... that's what unfinished MDF looks like, guys. It's a great material for speaker enclosures and ubiquitous in the well-loved commercial designs here. You would typically seal and paint it or veneer over it.

Just kinda annoyed that you are, from a place of ignorance, insulting @Rick Sykora 's hard work and contributions to the site.
And I'm "kinda annoyed" that you think these comments are coming from a "place of ignorance". I've made fine furniture for many years and I simply made a subjective comment regarding their appearance. You're right they're not fiberboard but they still look like a science project IMO.

mmuetst

Did Amir use The correct cable lifters to test these speakers?
[
1654978298305.jpeg

Sorry, I did respect Danny first, but after a lot of BS video‘s I’am finished with GR Research.
This video
tells me Danny lost it…..

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[View attachment 212263

Sorry, I did respect Danny first, but after a lot of BS video‘s I’am finished with GR Research.
This video

But have you tried and Listened For Yourself??!! Until you have, you don't haven an opinion!

:D

DanielT

Major Contributor
What does it mean...

Have you heard those speakers? Do they thump and have slam?
Not them, but similar. Well built / constructed plus EQ, line speakers can be awesome.:)

[View attachment 212263

This video
He's a flake.
But he does not even sell cable risers?!

Those who believe in cable risers, why do they lift the cables so little? Shouldn't they think that if you lift them halfway to the ceiling, the excellent sound will come?:)

Last edited:

moonlight rainbow dream

And I'm "kinda annoyed" that you think these comments are coming from a "place of ignorance". I've made fine furniture for many years and I simply made a subjective comment regarding their appearance. You're right they're not fiberboard but they still look like a science project IMO.

Tell us more about your opinion about the appearance of raw MDF. It is riveting.

carlosmante

The specs of these Peerless are very similar to the LGK2, except maybe that Sd is a bit larger 35mm2 vs 30mm2. The linear cone excursion Xmax is also the same and limited to 2.5mm. As result, if mounted is the cabinets of the LGK, the bass response will be similar too, and the distortion also similar. I made a quick simulation with Vituix and checked that Xmax is reached at less than 2 W giving and SPL under 90db at 1m. So that it will be as easy to make these saturate as happens with the LGK.

To be honest, GR Research mentions in their specs, that though the max power of their driver is 30W, this must be reduced to 10-15W if used without HPF and subwoofer. Which I consider also optimistic...

Btw, 30W is also the max power specified for the Peerless.
Sd is measured in square centimeters Not in square millimeters. Peerless TC9FD18-08 are a Sd of 36.3 square centimeters.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor
Klippel measures in 3D. If you know the reflecting surface material, dimension, position you can calculate the in-room response of the speaker on a bookshelf, flush to wall, etc.

I’m not sure but I assume the in-room response that @amirm posts are of listening in an undefined “typical” listening room condition.
No, it's a straight formula from the Klippel data, which is as per CEA 2034 Spinorama data:

index.php
(JBL LSR-305P measurement)

The room used to generate the percentages was the prototype IEC 268-13 (1985) room, meant to represent fairly normal home listening scenarios. So not undefined, but actually quite precisely specified.

Toole says that by itself the PIR curve is an unreliable predictor of sound quality.

What we can do to make some sense of this, instead of just concluding "well that room is not my room so what's the point", is compare the PIR curve with the axial anechoic curve and see the amount of difference between those two curves. We can then say to ourselves if our room is, we think, relatively highly dampened, that the in room curve in our room will be somewhere between the two. And if we think our room is somewhat of an echo chamber with no carpeting and no soft furnishings, we could predict the in room curve in our room to be further out beyond the PIR curve from the anechoic curve. This notion applies to the mid and high frequencies: the bass is a different issue, and the standard PIR curve is not meant to apply to the bass; it does not predict the in room bass response.

cheers

DanielT

Major Contributor
In short, what ever you do with that 3inch, no umpff there. ;)
Missed to mentioned earlier, the line speakers I have heard have been added with subwoofers. So bass in itself, the lowest frequencies they have taken care of by subwoofers. :)

Wesayso also uses subwoofers. See #1358 in this thread. More pictures of his speakers, line speakers + subwoofers. Plus some measurements on them:

Room-a-small (1).jpg

Edit:
That was a speaker circus, TuneTot.Poor performance at the huge price, rendered in 77 pages. 77 pages of let's say critical comments.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Missed to mentioned earlier, the line speakers I have heard have been added with subwoofers. So bass in itself, the lowest frequencies they have taken care of by subwoofers. :)

Wesayso also uses subwoofers. See #1358 in this thread. More pictures of his speakers, line speakers + subwoofers. Plus some measurements on them:

View attachment 212293

I did not talk about line arrays, i talked only about a single 3inch driver. Line arrays are a different beast to talk about, and it makes no sense to compare to a single driver speaker.

Top Bottom