• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Nest Audio Spinorama and Measurements

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
I disabled Google assistant for voice on my phone, is it possible on the speaker?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Listened to them in store.
Sound quality was good, but doesnt get very loud.
In my opinion, these won't work for movie or TV show watching...but maybe for kitchen or garage or outdoor patio setup, where these will function more of like "background-music" than anything critical listening.
At only CDN$130/ea, it's competition is Apple HomePod Mini and Amazon Echo (4th Gen), both are omni directional, so the overall experience will be very different since sound is more directional for Google.

It's a tough sell for me, though, considering I bought JBL 305P MKII for CDN$140/ea (aka for 7% more to the cost).
There's just no comparison between the two.

So while I wouldn't buy myself, I can easily recommend to friends looking for a budget speaker with requirements:
- who need a smart assistant
- who need to have a speaker that doesnt stand out (like most studio monitors do) and will blend into the environment very easily (the mesh material is very nice)

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disabled Google assistant for voice on my phone, is it possible on the speaker?

Yeah, the mic off switch is actually a hardware switch, so there should be no potential for audio snooping.

Listened to them in store.
Sound quality was good, but doesnt get very loud.
In my opinion, these won't work for movie or TV show watching...but maybe for kitchen or garage or outdoor patio setup, where these will function more of like "background-music" than anything critical listening.
At only CDN$130/ea, it's competition is Apple HomePod Mini and Amazon Echo (4th Gen), both are omni directional, so the overall experience will be very different since sound is more directional for Google.

It's a tough sell for me, though, considering I bought JBL 305P MKII for CDN$140/ea (aka for 7% more to the cost).
There's just no comparison between the two.

So while I wouldn't buy myself, I can easily recommend to friends looking for a budget speaker with requirements:
- who need a smart assistant
- who need to have a speaker that doesnt stand out (like most studio monitors do) and will blend into the environment very easily (the mesh material is very nice)

Well, the inability to work for movie and tv watching we already obviated by the fact that there is apparently significant delay when using stereo =] As I noted in another thread, I think these are superior to the iLoud micromonitor in direct comparisons at my desk. They wold be perfect as desktop speakers with wired inputs or less latency. Alas.

I do think a pair of them would provide plenty of SPL for a lot of people.

Amazon Echo 4th gen isnt' quite omnidirectional. It has two tweeters on the front at a small angle, so it will likely have wider dispersion than the Nest audio but also probably some weird lobing HF lobing.

1604189101450.png

I do plan on testing the new Echo as well eventually. Just haven't had the time.

Last edited:

Valentin R

By the way, here's a look at the in-house software Google is using to "simulate over 2,500 listening positions."

View attachment 86316

Unfortunately the image is low res so can't make out too many specifics.

I'm not sure if that means they are simulating the response completely, or using a klippel-esque machine, or whatever. They do have an anechoic chamber for testing. But pretty cool to see the 3D directivity balloon.

View attachment 86318Still cool, to see.

And here's a screengrab of the software used by double-blind test participants:

View attachment 86317

So I think there's a clear Harman/TooleSchool influence. Again, I'm just happy to see they're actually putting in the effort to use their massive resources and make something good at this price point. If only there were better inputs...

hi Tim Gladwin used to work in HARMAN and since. 2018 left too Google
So yes their is some of Harmans experience there

D

Deleted member 65

This one is getting very good reviews in Sweden, anyone heard it or have some more information/measurements? Seems as Devialet has been involved.
https://consumer.huawei.com/se/audio/sound-x/

Edit: Wi-Fi & Stereo pair will be available in Dec thru a firmware update according to Huawei.

1604605237875.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A review of the Home Max was recently published, for the curious.
https://www.dxomark.com/google-home-max-speaker-review-powerful-and-well-balanced/
View attachment 91613

Still, the data is no where near as good as nanilopez's data.

Ultimately I see this as a good thing, as I'm always glad to have another measurement source, and DxO mark will give us a basic idea of many speakrs ignored by the audio press (and which I'm unfortunately not set up to do at a quick enough pace).

But yikes, that scaling already makes me question their results and methodology.

I'd rather they stick to established standards that can be compared against other measurements rather than vague graphs with little explanation on how they arived at those figures. Like they're presenting so much data, but not enough focus is given to properly interpreting FR and directivity imo.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to get a preference score from the spins originally posted? I'm interested to see how it fares

I haven't messed around with the preference formula for a while so I don't know if the the old sheet I have works right, but I got a 5.5/7.6. Perhaps @Maiky76 wants to give it a go? Not near my PC now for the raw files, but digitizing should be fine as an estimate.

There's the very important caveat that I measured at a low SPL and bass will compress substantially at higher SPLs, so it only applies to listening from very close by or for rather low volumes, neither of which the preference score was really designed for.

samwell7

I haven't messed around with the preference formula for a while so I don't know if the the old sheet I have works right, but I got a 5.5/7.6. Perhaps @Maiky76 wants to give it a go? Not near my PC now for the raw files, but digitizing should be fine as an estimate.

There's the very important caveat that I measured at a low SPL and bass will compress substantially at higher SPLs, so it only applies to listening from very close by or for rather low volumes, neither of which the preference score was really designed for.

Thanks for getting back to me!
If it ends up being >5 I find that highly impressive, and I completely agree re: the volume.

My use case would likely be a stereo pair, used at moderate volume (not quite 'music as the sole focus' loud but louder than 'background' levels) in a living area/kitchen; with the +3dB (or is it 6?) stereo advantage I think they'd perform pretty well.

Being in Australia, where most 'low cost' speakers are far more expensive, the cost at $268AUD for a pair ($149 ea with a $30 discount on the second unit) is very reasonable.

JDragon

I am using a pair of these stereo in a nearfield desktop setup with several issues for traditional speakers (cramped space, close to wall, in a corner) and they are performing admirably. Bass is definitely not optimal - it does have nice extension but sounds a bit "bloated" - but was quite surprised at the imaging. Bonus points for being able to order me a pizza or let me know when someone rings my smart doorbell, which traditional speakers definitely can't do without a ton of work. Great value for the current sale price of $170/pr.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They can probably put more expensive parts in it than other $100 speakers because of the revenue they'll make from selling all your household's secrets.
That's true! Heck, I bought your Christmas list for $7.30...but crosschecking your spouse's card purchases, SPOILER: you're in for disappointment.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather have a "high Q dip" at 9 kHz than the infamous peak at 9kHz exhibited by the classic versions of the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers (I'm lookin' at you Cornwall)! ;)
So you put this Nest on top of your Cornwall, and it all evens out! Audio Paradise! Perfect Sound Forever!

samwell7

I am using a pair of these stereo in a nearfield desktop setup with several issues for traditional speakers (cramped space, close to wall, in a corner) and they are performing admirably. Bass is definitely not optimal - it does have nice extension but sounds a bit "bloated" - but was quite surprised at the imaging. Bonus points for being able to order me a pizza or let me know when someone rings my smart doorbell, which traditional speakers definitely can't do without a ton of work. Great value for the current sale price of $170/pr.

I think I'm going to do the same thing after having trouble with a few other speakers, does turning the bass down on the in-app EQ make a difference to the bloat?

samwell7

After re-reading this thread and a few more reviews online I'm really struggling to find anything that will sound better for near the stereo price of 268AUD while being self-powered and having Bluetooth for the case of low volume listening. Any suggestions? Only thing I can find that might be close is the Audioengine A2+ wireless but that'll cost around 399AUD

Benedium

Forum Donor
After pairing my Nest mini/nest audio to my bigger speakers, I found out that the volume of the Nest units are tied to the bluetooth signal to my bigger speakers.

Now if I want to hear the bluetooth Nest transmission on my bigger speakers, I also have to put up with the uncomfortably loud google assistant voice on the Nest audio/mini.

Couldn't they have made a separate volume setting for bluetooth transmission? Hope they can do it in next firmware update.

samwell7

I ended up buying a set of Nest Audios, I ummed and ahhed for a day before opening them - worrying I wouldn't be able to return them.
I was thinking there's no way a speaker that small will be able to really get down to 40-50hz or give a full enough sound.

I opened them and I am pleased to say I was wrong, I can't believe the bass extension on speakers this size, generally good sound all-round.

They've replaced the Sony SS-CS5s we were using in the kitchen (the Sonys are going to my desk now), they're at about head height on the fridge so I've dropped the treble back one notch on the app, overall I'm thoroughly impressed.

Thanks @napilopez for your original post/spins, a set of these speakers is never something I'd imagine being happy with, but here we are.

Top Bottom