• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Nest Audio Spinorama and Measurements

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'd rather have a "high Q dip" at 9 kHz than the infamous peak at 9kHz exhibited by the classic versions of the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers (I'm lookin' at you Cornwall)! ;)
Looks like the 'sins' of these are sins of omission, which is philosophically the better way to go! Better than to artifically "sweeten" the perceived performance with, e.g., a midbass peak or rising treble below the dropoff frequency.
Thanks for sharing the data.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now if only Google would make a cheap alternate to something like the Sonos Port ($450), this would make for an amazing ecosystem for audiophiles. Even better... they could very easily make such a thing with built-in configurable DSP, if they really wanted, and still ship it for <$100.

bhigh

Now if only Google would make a cheap alternate to something like the Sonos Port ($450), this would make for an amazing ecosystem for audiophiles. Even better... they could very easily make such a thing with built-in configurable DSP, if they really wanted, and still ship it for <$100.
They used to sell the Chromecast Audio for ~ $35 which had SPDIF out.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They used to sell the Chromecast Audio for ~ $35 which had SPDIF out.
Yes, but it is now irrelevant due to being discontinued (not that long after its introduction) thanks to Google’s notoriously short attention span for any products outside their core businesses. I’m quite sure Google Nest Audio will also be discontinued shortly as well, in 3... 2... 1...

anticlimber

Yes, but it is now irrelevant due to being discontinued (not that long after its introduction) thanks to Google’s notoriously short attention span for any products outside their core businesses. I’m quite sure Google Nest Audio will also be discontinued shortly as well, in 3... 2... 1...

It's only funny the first 1,000 times you read about the short attention span. I'll just head back to work on the non-core Google product I've been working on for six years that's been in the market for ten, and doesn't show the slightest sign of going away. Plenty of audio companies have lived and died in that time frame.

Chromecast devices have gone through a number of iterations since being introduced in 2013. The rather beloved Chromecast Audio was a niche device, and still had a 3.5 year run. Lots of Googler audiophiles wish it could have had another iteration.

Chromecast History

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes, but it is now irrelevant due to being discontinued

No more irrelevant than any other used gear. Still 100% functional, and readily available.

It's still a cheap way to solve a lot of issues.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's an image provided by Google of the unit without its cover:

index.php
Weird that at their website Google doesn't mention at all the aluminium but instead:

Materials
The enclosure is made from 70% recycled plastic.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_audio_specs?hl=en-US

So maybe above was just a prototype?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What happens when you put them on some furniture the way normal people do? It's hard to believe that isn't factored into how they were designed.
Aww, c'mon! Surely they have a furniture simulator, no?

Consider a spherical Chesterfield*, of radius r and mass m...

;)

How do they get such good low end extension in a sealed enclosure with a 3 inch woofer? Even with a Linkwitz Transform, that seems wild.
EQ the bejabbers out of the woofer, I'd presume -- a la Prof. Amar Bose and the 4" CTS 'fullrange' drivers in the (original) Bose 901.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird that at their website Google doesn't mention at all the aluminium but instead:

Materials
The enclosure is made from 70% recycled plastic.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_audio_specs?hl=en-US

So maybe above was just a prototype?

Hmm yeah that crossed my mind at some point. I'd just assumed that only the front face was a metal plate, since that image doesn't show the waveguide either.

In this one you can see the front being metal and the back is plastic:
Nest Audio deconstructed.jpg

If the plastic grille and rear are made of plastic, but the face is metal that seems to be about 70 percent. But I don't know for sure, and no easy way to open it up.

IHeartAudio

I haven't seen any for the Home Max unfortunately. It has two tweeters, so I don't know if there'd be any issues with lobing. I really enjoyed the sound of it last time I heard it, but that doesn't mean much for anyone else.

I recently bought the Google Home Max (was on sale) as a little bedroom speaker that'll play music wirelessly with no attachments other than a plug and its sound shocked me. Only real issue I have with it is resonance. I also love how in the dark, it's completely invisible since the lights are off until you interact with it.

RMW_NJ

I bought a pair of these solely based on this review. Was looking for a small, wireless-ish system for my bedroom. Gotta say, these sound pretty damn good, and exceed what I was expecting. For $179/pair, seems like a no-brainer if you’re looking for something in this category of speaker.

Taddpole

Another confirmation that it must be good, What Hi*Fi gave it just 3 stars and criticised its sound :p
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/google-nest-audio

• Not as room filling as expected
  • The Nest Audio’s dimensions are roughly that of a house brick turned upright
Yep I always expect speakers that size to be room filling.

• It's worth remembering that the Nest Audio must be plugged in to an electricity socket in your home to operate
Blimey, must really have low expectancy of their audience to have to put this in the review.

Top Bottom