• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Nest Audio Spinorama and Measurements

Benedium

Forum Donor
Sorry but I was looking at the google nest audio faq and no where does it say Stereo. If multiple units of this just plays in group then doesn't this just mean Dual Mono instead of real Stereo?

ttimer

Makes me wonder what Google could do with a serious budget to work with. Very good engineering here for $100.

These are probably sold far below cost, like a lot of Google or Amazon hardware. This is not primarily a speaker, but an enabler machine to lock the user into the Google ecosystem, where the profits are generated.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I think there's a clear Harman/TooleSchool influence. Again, I'm just happy to see they're actually putting in the effort to use their massive resources and make something good at this price point. If only there were better inputs...
The probably hire engineering grads who are well versed in the research, and haven't been corrupted by the traditional hifi industry.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker is also well controlled within its vertical listening window, though it is better below the tweeter axis than above it. I feel this should be the other way around, as this is the type of speaker you are more likely to hear while standing up. ± 0/5/15 vertical:
What happens when you put them on some furniture the way normal people do? It's hard to believe that isn't factored into how they were designed.

Taddpole

These are probably sold far below cost, like a lot of Google or Amazon hardware. This is not primarily a speaker, but an enabler machine to lock the user into the Google ecosystem, where the profits are generated.
Yeah so locked in whilst able to send tidal, quboz, Deezer, Amazon etc to them

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like the idea of these, but I'm having a hard time imagining a use scenario even though we are full in on the google ecosystem. Our living room has 'real' hifi, but does have a google home mini but just to yell instructions to it for smart home stuff, etc. So this is a non-upgrade since we don't use the living room google speaker to play music. In the dining/kitchen I need something that can mount on/in wall and look nice or even just disappear, the wall wart kills this for me. I'm also kicking around getting some speakers for the garage to upgrade over a small Bluetooth speaker. These would work there but I feel for a little more $ I can get something like the JBL 305P and have a ton more SPL/low freq capability due to much larger driver. On the other hand that doesn't have the smarts/streaming capability. Maybe that's OK but it would be really nice to tell it to skip a song or go to different playlist without having to touch my phone with grease and oil covered hands. Something like the 305P is also much bulkier and not as inside of the home friendly.

As someone else said if they put a little bigger driver or added a 'sub' this would be an amazing proposition. But then they are probably not targeting that much SPL/low freq extension, form factor/size was more important. I guess many of us are in the same basic boat, but we are probably not typical users. It's great that this is $100, has streaming, looks good, is small enough to make most people happy with putting it anywhere in their home, and has well thought out audio to boot.

Trouble Maker

Can anyone find any info on the external power supply, the physical size specifically?

If I can mount a recessed outlet up on the wall, put the power supply in there and mount the speaker in front of it this could be a great option for the dining room audio.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again a major consumer brand schools the boutique cottage industry with their massive economies of scale in manufacturing and R&D, creating an unreasonably good speaker for the form factor and price. This is getting tiring, to see the kind of performance in compromised packaging, and seeing the backwards state of the broader industry despite less compromises being required in packaging.

ElNino

How do they get such good low end extension in a sealed enclosure with a 3 inch woofer? Even with a Linkwitz Transform, that seems wild.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice review. Impressive performance.

Anyone seen measurements for the Google home max, I tried searching for some but found only it's physical dimensions and links to this review. :)

If it wasn't made in similar way to this I wonder if the next version will be, seems potential for something pretty impressive in a Google nest audio max.

I haven't seen any for the Home Max unfortunately. It has two tweeters, so I don't know if there'd be any issues with lobing. I really enjoyed the sound of it last time I heard it, but that doesn't mean much for anyone else.

Can anyone find any info on the external power supply, the physical size specifically?

If I can mount a recessed outlet up on the wall, put the power supply in there and mount the speaker in front of it this could be a great option for the dining room audio.

Dimensions for the power supply chunky bit, sans the prongs, are roughly 2 3/8 x 1 3/4 x 1 inches.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just realised that I might need one of these, didn't expect that to happen. I've been looking for something for the kitchen for a while, and as this has chrome cast built in it should work with Roon, which is good for me, the other cast options and Bluetooth make it wife friendly, and the auto vol when kitchen noise goes up will hopefully work well. More investigation required.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
>Product Manager Chris Chan
That's not a good name to have on some parts of the interweb.

Anyway, thanks for the review, it's incredible what economy of scale, massive R&D and judicious corner cutting can do. It could maybe have challenged the 8010A if costing the double.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Dimensions for the power supply chunky bit, sans the prongs, are roughly 2 3/8 x 1 3/4 x 1 inches.

Thanks for measuring it!

I assumed it wouldn't be small, hence my worry about where to put it. I assume that is HxWxD if you were looking at it as it while plugged into the wall?

I've got a few of these around the house, but they are buried behind appliances. From what I can gather about generic dimensions online it is probably too small to fit that power supply. I was imagining this in the wall wherever you wanted the Nest Audio, hide the power supply in it, then it gets covered up by the Nest Audio which would be mounted to the wall somehow.

https://www.legrand.us/wiring-devic...d-tamper-resistant-duplex-outlet/p/r885trwcc6

1602005747394.png

1602005627757.png

But anything larger is typically 2 gang or 1 + some low voltage stuff and much larger; too big to hid behind the Nest Audio.

Top Bottom