• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec lead times

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Mine in black as well. Singapore's local dealer will be coming to deliver, setup and do calibration in person this Friday. Hope it is worth my 11 month of wait.
Lol
It will be
Waiting for your impressions

OP
RobL

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
0425FFBE-F53F-4115-BA66-EA32D1F04A25.jpeg
Oh boy…..

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine just arrived.
0540AD3D-477D-41E1-84D9-92F44882D98A.jpeg

Piatnik

Forum Donor
69501983-CDB3-43D5-94F3-0078F1441E35.jpeg
I ordered 61s last January and received them today. W371 are expected to arrive mid-November. Montreal, Canada. I will install them in an hour. Can’t wait to hear them. Even without W371. I am curious about one thing : part number (type on box sticker) is 8361AW-2. W for white. Does the -2 is something new ? Any owner can comment?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 239666I ordered 61s last January and received them today. W371 are expected to arrive mid-November. Montreal, Canada. I will install them in an hour. Can’t wait to hear them. Even without W371. I am curious about one thing : part number (type on box sticker) is 8361AW-2. W for white. Does the -2 is something new ? Any owner can comment?
My G 5’s say -2 as well. I’m going to guess region.

HairyEars

Seriously the ones are going to be current for a decade at least. That’s why it so easy to pull the trigger on them. Heck I wish I had pair when the first 8351a came out. Instead I was fooling around with some expensive audiophile junk.

I can’t imagine what would obsolete them. I think it could be an idea for an entire thread with people more knowledgeable than me speculating on what would obsolete these.
Usually, Genelec updates a model every decade, typically the electronics is modified, while the acoustic-mechanics stay the same. Still, throughout the life of the models, minor improvements are introduced.

Last edited:

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let’s face it. Have you looked the new BMWs? Beaten with an ugly stick to meet Chinese tastes.

Western markets are no longer as important as the all important Chinese market. They want to keep those dealers and customers happy. While us western folk will have to wait.
Do you suppose that's where the idea for the huge, "gap-toothed beaver" grilles on some of the newer BMW models came from? Not to mention the dated circa 1990s side profiles.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you suppose that's where the idea for the huge, "gap-toothed beaver" grilles on some of the newer BMW models came from? Not to mention the dated circa 1990s side profiles.
Yes. The more a car looks like a ridiculous rolls or something the more “prestigious” it would be in china. If you want more sociological details you can start with the concept of “face” etc.

HairyEars

I have the urge to put in a few comments:

First off, I’m hard pressed to believe Genelec gives China any preferential treatment in terms of production timeline. Just goes against the company’s ethos. If the Chinese placed a large order first, they’d get it first—that’s all.

In terms of designing products to fit Chinses preference, either aesthetically or aurally – forgot about it. The concept is just too foreign to Genelec, who is exceedingly pragmatic and adheres to “form follows function.” Aurally, the company abides by guidelines that were set in stones decades ago: a flat response, neutral and uncolored, while at the same time, pleasing to the ear.

As for lead-time, bear in mind that ocean freight + order consolidation on behalf of the dealer + the custom clearance process can easily take 4 months or even longer.

Happy new year to all.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the urge to put in a few comments:

First off, I’m hard pressed to believe Genelec gives China any preferential treatment in terms of production timeline. Just goes against the company’s ethos. If the Chinese placed a large order first, they’d get it first—that’s all.

In terms of designing products to fit Chinses preference, either aesthetically or aurally – forgot about it. The concept is just too foreign to Genelec, who is exceedingly pragmatic and adheres to “form follows function.” Aurally, the company abides by guidelines that were set in stones decades ago: a flat response, neutral and uncolored, while at the same time, pleasing to the ear.

As for lead-time, bear in mind that ocean freight + order consolidation on behalf of the dealer + the custom release process can easily take 4 months and even longer.

Happy new year to all.
I agree with you. In my case I ordered a product that probably doesn’t sell as well as others so I had to wait for the next run.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
For those in the US still looking, the whole 83 series, including 8361s are in stock at Sweetwater. Only grey, though.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom