• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec lead times

Recluse-Animator

Thanks for the spreadsheet! Very helpful. Have you ever used these guys? Their pricing is very good.
I have considered 8351’s but the 61’s aren’t a whole lot more money. I want to use these for a 2 channel system in my living room (~135 m^3)…I’m hoping to not require a sub. :)
Judging from the other replies a 6 month turn-around time is pretty reasonable.
Your gonna need more than one sub for a room that size.

williecoin

Ruh-roh…that doesn’t sound promising!
Are you in Canada?
I'm in Singapore. Again, my 'late-September' delivery did not come true, as expected. Local distributor told me, ideally, they will be delivered to their warehouse this Friday instead. Hope Genelec won't screw it up the third time.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in Singapore. Again, my 'late-September' delivery did not come true, as expected. Local distributor told me, ideally, they will be delivered to their warehouse this Friday instead. Hope Genelec won't screw it up the third time.
I don't think you can blame Genelec (maybe). I would bet that their production is right on. It's getting them out the door and shipping that is causing the biggest problems.

williecoin

I don't think you can blame Genelec (maybe). I would bet that their production is right on. It's getting them out the door and shipping that is causing the biggest problems.
I am not sure of that. One fact: you can purchase 83151b or 8361a anywhere in China from numerous dealers right away and get them delivered to your door in a few days. I thought they just have plenty of old stock in China until my recently purchased friend (with a pair of 8361a) told me the production date was just two-three month ago. Another fact, MSRP of Genelec products in China are way higher than any other major regions. With above two facts, I don't know what is going on with Genelec.

Matthias McCready

I’m also on a 6 months wait. I feel like by the time I’m getting the speakers I ordered, it’ll be obsolete and a newer generation will be available by then.

Maybe....

Right now so many manufacturers are scrambling just to get product built and shipped while dealing with significant part shortages. Many products are having to be redesigned around different parts. I know of several large audio companies that are putting new product development on the back burner until supply issues can be fixed; which likely won't be soon.

Just in time manufacturing can work, when everything is flowing smoothly, but even one bad event can throw a wrench in the cog and in the last several years we have seen multiple events going on (global pandemic, war, blocked canal, factory fires etc etc). When a supply chain is multiple layers deep, any disruption at any step will have negative impact for getting the product out the door.

Always fun to tell a client that they "can order object A," but that its lead time is a projected 2-3 years!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got an update from my dealer. Projected arrival to them is Oct 18, then it’s likely 2 days to me. All in all about 11 months.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But what significant improvement would u expect? Very often, next generation products for a successful line are about cost reduction and not performance improvement necessarily. YMMV and all that, but pretty common in high tech product management...
Seriously the ones are going to be current for a decade at least. That’s why it so easy to pull the trigger on them. Heck I wish I had pair when the first 8351a came out. Instead I was fooling around with some expensive audiophile junk.

I can’t imagine what would obsolete them. I think it could be an idea for an entire thread with people more knowledgeable than me speculating on what would obsolete these.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure of that. One fact: you can purchase 83151b or 8361a anywhere in China from numerous dealers right away and get them delivered to your door in a few days. I thought they just have plenty of old stock in China until my recently purchased friend (with a pair of 8361a) told me the production date was just two-three month ago. Another fact, MSRP of Genelec products in China are way higher than any other major regions. With above two facts, I don't know what is going on with Genelec.
Let’s face it. Have you looked the new BMWs? Beaten with an ugly stick to meet Chinese tastes.

Western markets are no longer as important as the all important Chinese market. They want to keep those dealers and customers happy. While us western folk will have to wait.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Seriously the ones are going to be current for a decade at least. That’s why it so easy to pull the trigger on them. Heck I wish I had pair when the first 8351a came out. Instead I was fooling around with some expensive audiophile junk.

I can’t imagine what would obsolete them. I think it could be an idea for an entire thread with people more knowledgeable than me speculating on what would obsolete these.
8351C
More powerful amps
Redesigned drivers

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the spreadsheet! Very helpful. Have you ever used these guys? Their pricing is very good.
I have considered 8351’s but the 61’s aren’t a whole lot more money. I want to use these for a 2 channel system in my living room (~135 m^3)…I’m hoping to not require a sub. :)
Judging from the other replies a 6 month turn-around time is pretty reasonable.
It depends. If you are sitting close you will be fine. That bottom octave is nice but sometimes it’s better not to know how that sounds.

However, once you do hear it and like it, you would be surprised at how much sub it will take to fill that room. Probably 2x7370.

My room volume is roughly 163m3. My 2 7360s can and will go into clipping when listening at spirited levels. Makes me wonder if need a 7370 in the room or 2 more 7360s.

Probably better to just accept lower listening volumes.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8351C
More powerful amps
Redesigned drivers
More power is always better but does not obsolete anything.

The drivers - I don’t know much about that. What parameters could be improved and for what purpose?

Off the bat the first thing I realized when reading the 8361a review is that the first thing to require protection was the tweeter. Given my recent experiences with the 8341 this sounds about right. I can get them to self protect on music without any bass.

I hate to say it but the mid/tweeter on these causes an SPL limit which a person using these for listening in a mid field setting might run into. However since I value quality over quantity I can accept that and just turn down the volume.

Also Amir published the graph and said it’s not audible. This mirrors my experience as well. That light seems to be coming on a lot well before any audible issues. I just covered that damn light.

Any day of the week I’ll take the limits of the mid/tweeter in exchange for that sweet large and forgiving sweet spot. Nothing is more important for me in a practical sense of listening to stereo music. Having a constrained sweet spot is annoying.

So yes perhaps like they did between 8351a and 8351b they will improve power handling.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I just ordered today and it’s easy to reveal this information after I placed my order. :D

Apparently the one dealer in SC, USA is saying that an order today will deliver by the end of the month.

It may not just be them. It seems the supply constraints on these products have been addressed. He also said same delivery time for 8351b. That is in matrix black - a custom color. Maybe producer grey is shipping even sooner.

Also there is one advantage with this dealer apart from getting the GLM unit and volume knob for free which I won’t mention. However some of you may understand when you get to your cart what that advantage is. Let’s just say the amount you pay is lower than you would pay elsewhere.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dealer got my 61’s in, shipping to today…should be here Friday!
I’m so exited for you! Congrats! I hope mine get here next week. It’s going to be fun explorations for 2 weeks!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dealer got my 61’s in, shipping to today…should be here Friday!
Just heard from my dealer. Order shipping today, I should have them by the weekend.

OP
RobL

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m so exited for you! Congrats! I hope mine get here next week. It’s going to be fun explorations for 2 weeks!
I won’t get to play with mine for a while…going out of town for a week :(
Sucks, but very exicited that they are finally coming!
Just heard from my dealer. Order shipping today, I should have them by the weekend.
‘Grats! Enjoy!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a feeling i’m on the same shipment. I understand these show up via sea freight so if he promised end of October mine is probably on the same shipment. I guess they have caught up and might even have some to ship immediately to new orders.

Also I was specific about Matrix Black.

williecoin

Mine in black as well. Singapore's local dealer will be coming to deliver, setup and do calibration in person this Friday. Hope it is worth my 11 month of wait.

Top Bottom