• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8x3x stands, are they worth it?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

There's the option to design them yourself and have them laser or waterjet cut somewhere, which would allow you to set the height and angle exactly the way you want. There's no need for the hinge, as seen with the (now discontinued, ~700 EUR) G-Stands: https://web.archive.org/web/20171030162216/http://g-stands.net/

I've considered doing that myself, but stumbled across a pair of stands at an acceptable price before I figured out how to specify the bend in a 3D cad model. You're not going to save a lot going the DIY route, but probably worth it if you want floor stands.

I'm not desperate to have them, so I'll just wait for a sale or find them used on reverb, ebay or mercari, i have search saved for notifications

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I also bought these for the 8020d, and yeah they're kind of expensive (I paid £120 for a pair), but honestly they're so nice I'd say that not only are they worth it, IMO it's worth choosing Genelec speakers just to be able to use them. Also fwiw I believe K&M manufacture these for Genelec, might explain where some of this $$$ is going.

Makes sense KM is a german brand. I have their guitar stand and is great quality.

Even so, you're paying the KM quality plus the Genelec tax on top of it. If this was a KM only product, it would be around $50-80 each

YSC

Major Contributor
I have a pair of these and I can tell you the following:

- Overpriced, yes
- Don't get the tweeter to my ear level and therefore need to be angled up
- Were fussy on initial setup to get the angle dialed in due to the tightening mechanism
- Very tight in back when the GLM cable was installed
- Very stable on the desk, no problems (of any sort) since setup
- The space the shape creates is very nice, much more visually and practically satisfying than stands would have been
- Overall I'm happy and see no reason to change them, have no regrets

Edit: P.S. I got mine from Sweetwater here in the States. You may have to call them though, the item may not be on their website.
did you get as in the video mismatched height?

AlmaAtaKZ

I have the smaller version of these stands and the piece you asked about is plastic and is removable.

YSC

Major Contributor
I have the smaller version of these stands and the piece you asked about is plastic and is removable.
but I think the video's pair have the L shape slightly different so one of the the speaker sits lower than the other and lean more forward? he did said he swapped the plastic part and still the same one is taller than the other

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
did you get as in the video mismatched height?
No, they're both angled the same. It took a little fussing it make it so, but I'm talking in terms of minutes not hours. In all, I'm quite happy with them now that the price is out of mind.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
No, they're both angled the same. It took a little fussing it make it so, but I'm talking in terms of minutes not hours. In all, I'm quite happy with them now that the price is out of mind.
nice, I actually just ordered the new 8000-333B for my 8030Cs to lift it more properly and with more desk space, so finger crossed it's fine

Zooqu1ko

nice, I actually just ordered the new 8000-333B for my 8030Cs to lift it more properly and with more desk space, so finger crossed it's fine
I've got no idea where you are, but aren't sales covered by some mandatory warranty where you live?

Zensō

Major Contributor
IMG_3037.jpeg
IMG_3035.jpeg
I went for the K&M small speaker stand which is similar in quality to the Genelec stand (K&M makes the Genelec stands) but allows for more height adjustment. With the 8030C it’s no problem getting these at ear height. They’re quite heavy and plenty stable. There’s nothing in the description that says these are made for Genelecs, but it seems pretty obvious in the design.

YSC

Major Contributor
I've got no idea where you are, but aren't sales covered by some mandatory warranty where you live?
Coz local dealer just don’t import stock and keep on recommending the isoacoustics stands instead… I ended up ordering from Thomann to Asia

Leonm771

View attachment 289027View attachment 289026I went for the K&M small speaker stand which is similar in quality to the Genelec stand (K&M makes the Genelec stands) but allows for more height adjustment. With the 8030C it’s no problem getting these at ear height. They’re quite heavy and plenty stable. There’s nothing in the description that says these are made for Genelecs, but it seems pretty obvious in the design.
If having stand for the speaker , do I need to switch off the desktop control?

EAXAE

I'm using Millenium Desktop Monitor Mount DM1 (Thomann sells them $50 per pair) for my 8030C.
They are height adjustable and don't require any table space, which is a heavy selling point to me. Angle is not adjustable and there aren't any cable management holes though.
It took some tinkering to install them, including buying two long M8 bolts and M8 to 3/8" adapters.

Attachments

• PXL_20231212_125350807.jpg
    PXL_20231212_125350807.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 65

Zensō

Major Contributor
If having stand for the speaker , do I need to switch off the desktop control?
Most likely, yes. If at all possible it would be best to use something like Sonarworks or REW along with a measurement mic to get a clear picture of what’s happening in your space.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VESA mounts of my monitor stand:
PXL_20240327_193208387.jpg

(don't mind the cable flapping in the breeze, it has since mounted to the monitor arm and is out of sight)
61cA+ne40xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The inner 75mm spaced holes fit, but i had to widen them a bit with a 7mm metal drill bit.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VESA mounts of my monitor stand:
View attachment 359513
(don't mind the cable flapping in the breeze, it has since mounted to the monitor arm and is out of sight)
61cA+ne40xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The inner 75mm spaced holes fit, but i had to widen them a bit with a 7mm metal drill bit.
This is very pertinent info since I just picked some some 4030s. A standard 75mm VESA mount fits?

Realistically I'm happy to drill holes in mounts or even make my own adapter plate (I have a little aluminum stock languishing in the back yard) so something like this might be the ticket.

spamilton

I own the bigger version of these L table stands, and they are the only thing I trust to keep my 8341a secure. However, I used to have the 8030c as well, and I had them on Kanto stands which worked perfectly and hid the cables well.

Zooqu1ko

This is very pertinent info since I just picked some some 4030s. A standard 75mm VESA mount fits?

Realistically I'm happy to drill holes in mounts or even make my own adapter plate (I have a little aluminum stock languishing in the back yard) so something like this might be the ticket.
The "correct" solution is of course the 8000-437b-vesa-adapter

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the bigger version of these L table stands, and they are the only thing I trust to keep my 8341a secure. However, I used to have the 8030c as well, and I had them on Kanto stands which worked perfectly and hid the cables well.
I have these for 8350. They are serious piece of work, 6kg of metal. Still, attaching the speakers with two small screws seemed a bit off, but doesn't seem to be a problem.

Zooqu1ko

Agreed, however I am not terribly excited about spending $150 before I even start looking at stands...
They are available for ~40€, including 19% sales tax. Do you really need 4, or are you getting ripped off by the importer?

Top Bottom