• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8x3x stands, are they worth it?

Pancreas

Apparently, BHphoto is the only website that sells them for $125 each and $250 the pair. At first, I thought it was $125 the pair, so I was considering it. Why so expensive, is just a metal, maybe because they can?

Here is a youtube review. They're nice, have a hole for cables. One 8030C is like $695 and the stand is not that far off.

Does anyone here have them and can honestly they are worth the price? They look nice and all, but $250 for a couple of metal stands seems expensive, then again everything Genelec seems to be.

I'm looking for used ones on ebay, reverb, online, but only found white ones. I need black ones. Maybe I'll buy the white ones and repaint them lol

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec, in general, is questionable on the "is it worth it" front for a home user. If you absolutely love the way the stands look and $250 doesn't ruin your retirement or vacation plans, then sure it's worth it. Otherwise, if you just need something to put speakers on, there are obviously much cheaper options.

beeface

Can't comment on them from personal experience, but it looks like someone is getting some healthy margins on those

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Genelec, in general, is questionable on the "is it worth it" front for a home user. If you absolutely love the way the stands look and $250 doesn't ruin your retirement or vacation plans, then sure it's worth it. Otherwise, if you just need something to put speakers on, there are obviously much cheaper options.

The problem is the Genelec don't have a flat surface, so they need the isopod to stand. This makes using other stands more difficult. So for other stands to work, you'd need a stand with a flat surface.

It just doesn't look good imo

shopping

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes they are quite expensive. I definitely thought twice before buying the ones for my 8020s but have not regretted the decision.

Bought mine from Thomann.de - £120 for a pair shipped to the UK. (They were slow to arrive but this was during covid).

Edit: One advantage is that they are nicely weighted and are not easily moved accidentally. This is good if you don't want to keep having to re-do your EQ. (It is a bit difficult to get accurate positioning with the isopods).

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

ain't that great. It seems Genelec doesn't like doing business with USA, is not the first time I encounter this

thoman.png

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I have a pair of these and I can tell you the following:

- Overpriced, yes
- Don't get the tweeter to my ear level and therefore need to be angled up
- Were fussy on initial setup to get the angle dialed in due to the tightening mechanism
- Very tight in back when the GLM cable was installed
- Very stable on the desk, no problems (of any sort) since setup
- The space the shape creates is very nice, much more visually and practically satisfying than stands would have been
- Overall I'm happy and see no reason to change them, have no regrets

Edit: P.S. I got mine from Sweetwater here in the States. You may have to call them though, the item may not be on their website.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

- Overpriced, yes
- Were fussy on initial setup to get the angle dialed in due to the tightening mechanism
- The space the shape creates is very nice, much more visually and practically satisfying than stands would have been

Edit: P.S. I got mine from Sweetwater here in the States. You may have to call them though, the item may not be on their website.

How much did they cost? and how did you know Sweetwater would have them?

The base is 7x7.5, so you could put something on top of it, it frees up space on the desk

I found some white ones for cheap like $45 each, maybe if i buy them, I'll repaint lol save myself like $150

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

is this piece metal or plastic? Can it be removed? I need to know this if I'm going to repaint

index.php

@GD Fan

Attachments

• piece.png
    piece.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,242

GD Fan

Forum Donor
is this piece metal or plastic? Can it be removed? I need to know this if I'm going to repaint

index.php

@GD Fan
That looks quite a bit different from mine (pictured below). That caused me to worry I'd given you a bunch of input that's not applicable, but the second / rear photo in your B&H link looks like mine do:
20230209_215927.jpg

GD Fan

Forum Donor
It looks like mine ran $99 apiece from Sweetwater but that was 2.5 years ago. When I was on the phone with my guy there placing the speaker order I mentioned the stands and he said they could get them for me (i.e. maybe don't keep them in stock?).

If you can get white ones that cheap it might compensate for a repainted finish!

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They work and look great.

Can you get that cheaper? If so, get them instead.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

They work and look great.

Can you get that cheaper? If so, get them instead.

yeah but white and i dont know how they would look if i repaint, theyre powdercoated

having someone powdercoat them would cost me the same as just buying the black ones new lol

if i can spray them bacl they may look ghetto

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

It looks like mine ran $99 apiece from Sweetwater but that was 2.5 years ago. When I was on the phone with my guy there placing the speaker order I mentioned the stands and he said they could get them for me (i.e. maybe don't keep them in stock?).

If you can get white ones that cheap it might compensate for a repainted finish!

short of can spraying it myself and looking ghetto, paying someone else to paint or powdercoat black would cost me as much as just as buying the black one new lol

$250 for some stand is some bs tbh

just a couple of metal pieces joined together with a plastic/metal screw, yeah they're powdercoated

with $250 you could literally buy a pair of Yamaha HS5s lol

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No, it is not. It's perfectly acceptable cost for a good product that does what it is supposed to. And nobody is forced to buy it, just get the HS5s and put your speakers on top of them if you like. Or couple of bricks, they work very well actually.

For cheaper and often used stand option you could also look at K&M 26772 table monitor stands. Middle ground could be IsoAcoustics stands, I have those under my 8350s because the Genelec table stands for those are huge and hard to fit nicely on my desk.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Lol people be quoting me like $100-200 to repaint powdercost white stands to black

Might as well buy them from bhphoto

Trell

Major Contributor

- Overpriced, yes

I’ve two pairs of them for two 8330A desktop setups and I generally agree with you. Perhaps cheaper as I live in EU.

The Genelec L-stands also have usable desktop space underneath the monitors, which is quite handy.

Zooqu1ko

short of can spraying it myself and looking ghetto, paying someone else to paint or powdercoat black would cost me as much as just as buying the black one new lol

just a couple of metal pieces joined together with a plastic/metal screw, yeah they're powdercoated

There's the option to design them yourself and have them laser or waterjet cut somewhere, which would allow you to set the height and angle exactly the way you want. There's no need for the hinge, as seen with the (now discontinued, ~700 EUR) G-Stands: https://web.archive.org/web/20171030162216/http://g-stands.net/

I've considered doing that myself, but stumbled across a pair of stands at an acceptable price before I figured out how to specify the bend in a 3D cad model. You're not going to save a lot going the DIY route, but probably worth it if you want floor stands.

PyramidElectric

I also bought these for the 8020d, and yeah they're kind of expensive (I paid £120 for a pair), but honestly they're so nice I'd say that not only are they worth it, IMO it's worth choosing Genelec speakers just to be able to use them. Also fwiw I believe K&M manufacture these for Genelec, might explain where some of this $$$ is going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom