• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This waterfall plot?

I want to point out that instead of telling yourself "I don't know" and just asking, you are inventing reasons.

The messiness is because the graph is not anechoic. The low frequencies are noise in Amir's garage, and the rest are related to resonances of Klippel fixture.

Amir does a poor job of presenting this plot, using inconsistent axes and 3D position/rotation, and furthermore he is aware of Klippel resonances, but never distinguishes between them and speaker resonances in his commentary or labels. I generally ignore it. If there are actual speaker issues they show up in the on and off-axis curves.

index.php

I think @amirm can try 1 test(I mean not all speaker tests) how the spectral decay change depend on volume the measure is. same speaker at 80 db 86 db 96 db 105 db spectral decay show. My guess is it change alot. normal foam below is too soft, can cause resonances too . melamin is stronger as foam or maybe try speaker decoupling feet as this https://alphahighend.be/en/categorie-produit/furniture-decoupling/spikes/ . the genelec is measure with over 100 db and it is very slow decay. see also the time the genelec plot begin. at 5 ms. here is a decay with a 85 db measure. the plot begin with 0.5 ms and it look much better. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-4312m-ii-3-way-studio-monitor-review.51226/ or here also a low volume spectral https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/human-speakers-81-dk-review.50915/

Descartes

Major Contributor
Omg it's beautiful. Are those custom black painted? Looks far darker than the boring genelec grey.

Is there really any actual need for having a studio this overpowered or is it just a mastering studio having to make expenses for tax benefits? :D

Still, I can't get over how pretty genelecs look with this paint, just wow.
They come in black on special order!
Two questions, first how much hiss do you hear from the speakers, and at what distance? Please quantify!
Second, can you just plug them in a pre-pro and just use ARC Genesis or Dirac or do you need GLM

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
They come in black on special order!
Two questions, first how much hiss do you hear from the speakers, and at what distance? Please quantify!
Second, can you just plug them in a pre-pro and just use ARC Genesis or Dirac or do you need GLM
  • Hiss not audible 40-50 cm away*.
  • No need to use GLM.
*This is not a headphone.

Last edited:

Impossible

I've some Genelec 8361a's.

They have too much bass, it like I am crossing over to a ported sub.

I have already set -4db down on the back and roll off then -1db in EQ on the back.

How have people fixed this. does anyone fill the port with foam?

Last edited:

Hephaestus

I have already set -4db down on the back and roll off then -1db in EQ on the back.

Sounds like you did not run GLM. My 8361 came with complimentary GLM kit.

Too much bass in that case is caused by boundary reinforcement and/or room modes.

I highly recommend that you take some measurements with REW and run GLM autocal ( or enter filters manually based on REW measurements ) and enjoy your speakers.

Hephaestus

I did glm then eq on top of that. Still too much.
Post measurements so people can help you. FYI those back controls that you mentioned to adjust -4 and -1 do not work simultaneously with GLM.

People have different preferences what comes to amount of bass - you may like flatter in room curve. It is very easy to expirement with GLM and find suitable solution in your taste.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
It's the room. Please share glm response at listening position.

Impossible

Hi just did the auto cal and generated the report. Please see attached.

Attachments

• Genelec GRADE Report 2024-02-14T09-31-41.pdf
    871 KB · Views: 72

Impossible

Also quick question why does glm only do minus gain peq and never plus to fill the gaps in the frequency response?

Unless there's a settings I am missing turned on by default?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Use GLM it takes a massive +12dB out around 50Hz or so in my room. All rooms have a huge bass hump and those switches help but can’t fix the issue completely.

droid2000

Also quick question why does glm only do minus gain peq and never plus to fill the gaps in the frequency response?

Unless there's a settings I am missing turned on by default?
I'm not familiar with the GLM software, but the general consensus seems to be that it's a bad idea to try and fill in gaps because you'll quickly use up all the power your amp can throw at the problem.

Top Bottom