• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I tried GLM in my room today for the first time and it made zero difference?

Fatlarry

I tried it using the 8330A on my desktop in a small 3m x 2m room around 0.5-1m listening distance.

The 8330As are running analog through an RME ADI 2 Dac up on stands placed on my desktop either side of an ultrawide monitor.

There's really no difference when I turn on and off autocal.

I had the 8020D and also the 8331 (without GLM) using the dip switches -4db bass and -2db treble which did make a big difference in my room.

With GLM I can't even turn down the bass at night. With the RME ADI 2 or dip switches I can put my ears behind the speakers and turn the bass down so it doesn't sound boomy behind the speakers.

What am I doing wrong? I read GLM makes a wonderful difference to the sound.

Is it because I'm listening so near field in such a small room that I only really hear direct sound anyways?

(Room photo is with previous 8020D)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-201624.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-201624.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20231221-201706.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-201706.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20231221-201726.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-201726.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20231125_174603.jpg
    20231125_174603.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can create profiles wherein you can pEq out the bass

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty nasty bass null measured in both speakers, they should definitely have more to give down there. Are the DIP switches all off?

IMG_0002.jpeg

OP
F

Fatlarry

You can create profiles wherein you can pEq out the bass
That's okay but not as handy as having a bass tone knob on the desk depending on song.

Pretty nasty bass null measured in both speakers, they should definitely have more to give down there. Are the DIP switches all off?

View attachment 336075
Here's another measurement. I don't have a mic stand so I'm sitting in my chair holding the mic I don't know if that matters.

I still can't hear a difference and neither can my friend. I was expecting an audible improvement for £280. Is it only worth it if you have a sub?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-203939.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-203939.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20231221-203929.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-203929.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 65

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you hover the cursor over the “Group” button, does the drop-down indicate that the group is calibrated?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't take this the wrong way but are you uploading and saving the correction filters to the speakers?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's okay but not as handy as having a bass tone knob on the desk depending on song.

Here's another measurement. I don't have a mic stand so I'm sitting in my chair holding the mic I don't know if that matters.

I still can't hear a difference and neither can my friend. I was expecting an audible improvement for £280. Is it only worth it if you have a sub?
Agreed on the knob. You still can have one place before the monitor.

I have one for volume and i don’t really use tone anymore but I did I would figure out a physical control.

I saw your graphs and yeah you’re sitting very close and also the major corrections in GLM happen under 100Hz.

You can see what it did around 150Hz and maybe it’s not easily audible.

OP
F

Fatlarry

If you hover the cursor over the “Group” button, does the drop-down indicate that the group is calibrated?
Yep the tool tip displays "Calibrated: Yes (AutoCal 2)"
Don't take this the wrong way but are you uploading and saving the correction filters to the speakers?
No haha I didn't think I'd have to store the calibration as the app was allowing me to turn it on and off. Oh wow yeah now I can hear a difference, took some tisss noise off the drum track but it's subtle, I will test again tomorrow as it's late here now.
Agreed on the knob. You still can have one place before the monitor.

I have one for volume and i don’t really use tone anymore but I did I would figure out a physical control.

I saw your graphs and yeah you’re sitting very close and also the major corrections in GLM happen under 100Hz.

You can see what it did around 150Hz and maybe it’s not easily audible.
Yeah I guess you don't really need tone control if calibrated correctly but it's nice on a night with neighbors.

I played a 150hz and also a 315hz tone test and yeah with autocal on the volume is lower so it's definitely working now.

Yeah I sit very close and my room acoustics only really happen when I play very loud over 90db which I never listen that loud anyways. Wondering if I'm just better off with dip switches really.

I'll update tomorrow

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep the tool tip displays "Calibrated: Yes (AutoCal 2)"

No haha I didn't think I'd have to store the calibration as the app was allowing me to turn it on and off. Oh wow yeah now I can hear a difference, took some tisss noise off the drum track but it's subtle, I will test again tomorrow as it's late here now.

Yeah I guess you don't really need tone control if calibrated correctly but it's nice on a night with neighbors.

I played a 150hz and also a 315hz tone test and yeah with autocal on the volume is lower so it's definitely working now.

Yeah I sit very close and my room acoustics only really happen when I play very loud over 90db which I never listen that loud anyways. Wondering if I'm just better off with dip switches really.

I'll update tomorrow
Most of us have neighbor issue haha. So for those situations only you can make a profile for them. Like listening after 11pm etc.

unpluggged

There's really no difference when I turn on and off autocal.
This is very weird since even when I made a quick correction with REW, UMIK-1, and ADI-2 Pro's EQ, it did make a noticeable difference with my KH 120's (I'm in a similar room to yours). The sound is much clearer now, so it finally made me pull the trigger and order the KH 750 DSP with MA 1.

I can put my ears behind the speakers and turn the bass down so it doesn't sound boomy behind the speakers.
Do you always listen to music with your head behind your speakers?

OP
F

Fatlarry

Really need is one thing. Useful is another. Doesn't the RME DAC have eq options?

/me misses tone controls
True, it's nice to quickly adjust a song to your own preference if you feel like it. The RME does have an EQ which is great for my HD650 as I can just enter settings from someone else who knows what they're doing.

I can EQ speakers with RME but how do I know if it's accurate and there's so much tinkering changing the filter type, frequency, gain, Q factor etc. Also I have tested the EQ of RME vs APO and they sound exactly the same to me. My plan is to sell the RME and go fully digital. My onboard audio sounds the same as the RME using HD650 just quiter but a £30 portable headphone amp fixes that.

I'll probably miss the tone controls hmm but as with most choices there's usually pros and cons to each.
I think the concern is what the neighbors can hear. Makes sense to dial down the bass if you're listening after hours.
That's it. I can't hear that boomy bass unless i put my head behind the monitors. When I lower the bass down using RME or dip switches it takes away the boom behind the speaker but doesn't take away the bass when I'm listening in front. I'll make a profile in GLM for that.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, it's nice to quickly adjust a song to your own preference if you feel like it. The RME does have an EQ which is great for my HD650 as I can just enter settings from someone else who knows what they're doing.

I can EQ speakers with RME but how do I know if it's accurate and there's so much tinkering changing the filter type, frequency, gain, Q factor etc. Also I have tested the EQ of RME vs APO and they sound exactly the same to me. My plan is to sell the RME and go fully digital. My onboard audio sounds the same as the RME using HD650 just quiter but a £30 portable headphone amp fixes that.

I'll probably miss the tone controls hmm but as with most choices there's usually pros and cons to each.

That's it. I can't hear that boomy bass unless i put my head behind the monitors. When I lower the bass down using RME or dip switches it takes away the boom behind the speaker but doesn't take away the bass when I'm listening in front. I'll make a profile in GLM for that.
you're fine you won't miss the tone controls. good move, yes read your grade report and just take out the problematic frequencies

Top Bottom