• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
No such thing as an 800 precursor to 801, AFAIK

Show me on this B&W published response of the original 801:-
View attachment 170532

I don't see it.

cheers
Butting in late here, but the 801 and M801 were rather different to the N series and the Matrix carcass really did subtly improve on the original (a pal was given the 801's he used for mastering when B&W replaced them with the 'M' version and still has them in his home theatre system). I heard an early pair of N801's and disliked them intensely.

Is this later presence dip followed by taking off tweeter something that PMC are also emulating as professionally they may well be competitors?

Just wanted to add that I believe experienced engineers seem well able to 'hear through' their monitors' characteristics once they get to know them.

P.S. I know 'we all' love to read about state of the art and how it's changing the goalposts to higher levels most domestic high-end audio consumers have no idea of, but of at all possible, it'd be great for Amir (or Erin?) to look at previous generations of these models as they just may be affordable on the used market and quite possibly still streets ahead of popular domestic speaker vendors? Not sure older Genelecs ever go at good prices though, at least not in the UK, but maybe Neumann or K&H as they used to be and sometimes ATC's too, but the latter may well be well thrashed examples in need of an electronics service at least?

Last edited:

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Will you be able to play/use the 8361 with GLM?
Because that ultimately has a large influence on how the speaker sounds.
As others have stated, from 300hz on down. GLM doesn’t appear to do anything above 300hz which is why some of us are running Dirac on top of GLM.

CMB

As others have stated, from 300hz on down. GLM doesn’t appear to do anything above 300hz which is why some of us are running Dirac on top of GLM.
I don't understand - Are you saying GLM is limited to below 300Hz?

Also, you can individually adjust so called "sound character profiles" (low and high shelves) and set individual filters up to 21Khz to your taste or requirements. So, you are far from limited to up to 300Hz with GLM.

And indeed, as far as that, ultimately it can have a large influence on how the speaker sound in the end.

Btw: I runned REW and Dirac after GLM.
Actually, with me, Dirac with Audirvana plug-in is always a pain to use as it always crashes before ending all the sweeps...

REW calculated further EQ which I could have integrated directly into GLM filters and saved in the speakers.
I preferred to first implemented them into my RME ADI dac, so I can easily pull them out or adapt/test them.

All I can say is that the speakers now sound very different to my ears in my untreated room as from straight out of the box.

Trell

Major Contributor
I don't understand - Are you saying GLM is limited to below 300Hz?

Also, you can individually adjust so called "sound character profiles" (low and high shelves) and set individual filters up to 21Khz to your taste or requirements. So, you are far from limited to up to 300Hz with GLM.

And indeed, as far as that, ultimately it can have a large influence on how the speaker sound in the end.

Btw: I runned REW and Dirac after GLM.
Actually, with me, Dirac with Audirvana plug-in is always a pain to use as it always crashes before ending all the sweeps...

REW calculated further EQ which I could have integrated directly into GLM filters and saved in the speakers.
I preferred to first implemented them into my RME ADI dac, so I can easily pull them out or adapt/test them.

All I can say is that the speakers now sound very different to my ears in my untreated room as from straight out of the box.

On my 8330A it goes up to around 2K on GLM 4.1 but it appears that GLM mostly leaves higher frequencies alone.

Edit: For my left speaker "leaving mostly" the higher fr is not quite correct for my left speaker. There is also a shelf added.

1639332657974.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I have filters generated at 420 and 1560 Hz.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
On my 8330A it goes up to around 2K on GLM 4.1 but it appears that GLM mostly leaves higher frequencies alone.
I have not run 4.1 yet. But my understanding is that 4.0 and below mainly affected 300 hz and below. That said, I could be wrong about this.

Trell

Major Contributor
I have not run 4.1 yet. But my understanding is that 4.0 and below mainly affected 300 hz and below. That said, I could be wrong about this.

Here is an older calibration using GLM 4.0 for left speaker, while the right has the highest "active" notch at 258Hz. When calibration with GLM I use a tight pattern of 8/9 measuring points around my MLP at the desk.

1639331949153.png

1639332108225.png

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Here is an older calibration using GLM 4.0 for left speaker, while the right has the highest "active" notch at 258Hz. When calibration with GLM I use a tight pattern of 8/9 measuring points around my MLP at the desk.

View attachment 172048

View attachment 172049

Thanks for this. Although most of the correction is happening below 300, it is clearly doing some things above. I will need to look at my measurements more closely and see if I can determine what’s going on.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks for this. Although most of the correction is happening below 300, it is clearly doing some things above. I will need to look at my measurements more closely and see if I can determine what’s going on.
I added a screenshot of GLM 4.1 calibration in post #1427 where a shelving filter is added to my left speaker.

Newman

Major Contributor
Although most of the correction is happening below 300, it is clearly doing some things above. I will need to look at my measurements more closely and see if I can determine what’s going on.
Since Genelec speakers are often very flat in their axial response above 300 Hz, it is undesirable for GLM to change it much, if at all. Genelec probably know this, hence what you are seeing.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a downside to placing them 20cm above the floor pointing upwards instead of wall mounting, pointing downwards? Vertical isn't possible, sadly.
The image will then sit on the ground too. Tilting the speaker will not change this. This is unpleasant to my experience.

Elkios

No it did app
True but you can still have a lot of fun. BBC dip is easy .

Reactions: CMB

Newman

Major Contributor
That would coincide with floor bounce

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK it may be a stupid question but still...
Theoretically is it possible to EQ the 8361 and make it sound like Focal or ATC?
No, you cannot influence the off-axis response separately from the on-axis. So you can’t do a perfect match.

Top Bottom