• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351b with 2x 7370 vs Sopra No2 vs Atc 50 ASL

dfuller

Major Contributor
No, that's peak. The max long-term (i.e. continuous) is 109dB SPL.

You write they are not passive speakers in studio.?

Correct, ATCs in studios are almost all actives. Look at their pro line - there are like 2 speakers that are passive and they're the SCM12 and SCM20 (which also has an active version). All the "big boy" ATCs are active.

When you have atc fans in a subject, you are in the fourth dimension. The genelec 83...can be flushed with the box made for and made by Genelec.
https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8351-450b-flush-mount-kit

Yes, that's an extra $850 for a pair of speakers and it still doesn't take care of the rear port.

God Floyd Toole give 30° is the minimum. My kh420 have 80°.
Strange world the atc world.

Uh... You sure about that one? Neumann's own specs show about 20 degrees vertically. Note, vertically, not horizontally.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you have atc fans in a subject, you are in the fourth dimension.

I'm not particularly an ATC fan. But I am a reality fan. I worked thousands of hours with ATCs, and they did the job just fine. I have seen plenty of music enthusiastically recommended here that I know for sure was mixed on ATCs. Folks seem to like the results, whatever they say in public.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ultimately you must choose what you like, even if they aren’t the ultimate in transparency.
Keith

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I'm not particularly an ATC fan. But I am a reality fan. I worked thousands of hours with ATCs, and they did the job just fine. I have seen plenty of music enthusiastically recommended here that I know for sure was mixed on ATCs. Folks seem to like the results, whatever they say in public.
Can you name a few tracks?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
No, that's peak. The max long-term (i.e. continuous) is 109dB SPL.

Correct, ATCs in studios are almost all actives. Look at their pro line - there are like 2 speakers that are passive and they're the SCM12 and SCM20 (which also has an active version). All the "big boy" ATCs are active.

Yes, that's an extra $850 for a pair of speakers and it still doesn't take care of the rear port.

Uh... You sure about that one? Neumann's own specs show about 20 degrees vertically. Note, vertically, not horizontally.
Screenshot_20210604-185526.jpg
i guess the 1237A is more comparable
Screenshot_20210604-185506.jpg

DSJR

Major Contributor
You know, I'd LOVE to properly hear some Genelecs, but these aren't available domestically as far as I know so no easy chance to hear them. The Kii's surprised me in a very positive way and I'd like to hear more. ATC have been available domestically for well over thirty years now, so forgive me for going on about them as I do. PMC's domestic fare are a very different kettle of fish too - not the same at all.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Well the 1237A is about 6,000$ cheaper View attachment 133760
I honestly doubt their tweeter can match the quite loaded compression driver in the 1237/8A and that their legendary midrange can actually match Genelec's in-house one that can do
index.php

The day Neumann updates their KH420A to get DSP and maybe some incremental driver advances, things will get very interesting.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For this kind of money I would get Revel 226Be's and subs or 228Be without subs for simplicity. There is a disconnect on this board because Revel and JBL are so expensive in Europe while Genelec and some others are very expensive in the US.

What bothers me about Genelec is the are a few members here who have placed this brand on a pedestal. I keep seeing comments like the 8351 is nearfield or they don't disappear the way Revel's do which make me wonder about their suitability for home systems, especially at the high prices.

It's true they measure great out of the box because of how the DSP is set up, 708P's cost half as much and 5 minutes with their built in DSP will work wonders and they play loud.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
1622830543260.png

Regarding active vs passive the passive has better measurements actually while the D&D 8c has much higher:
1622831589284.png

And the Kii three:
1622832257768.png

Genelec 8351b
Genelec 8351B THD Distortion Measurements Powered Sutdio Monitor.png

Last edited:

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For this kind of money I would get Revel 226Be's and subs or 228Be without subs for simplicity. There is a disconnect on this board because Revel and JBL are so expensive in Europe while Genelec and some others are very expensive in the US.

What bothers me about Genelec is the are a few members here who have placed this brand on a pedestal. I keep seeing comments like the 8351 is nearfield or they don't disappear the way Revel's do which make me wonder about their suitability for home systems, especially at the high prices.

It's true they measure great out of the box because of how the DSP is set up, 708P's cost half as much and 5 minutes with their built in DSP will work wonders and they play loud.

Or LS50 for 1/4 the price of 708P

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or LS50 for 1/4 the price of 708P
I am one of the more visible LS50 owners around here. With subs they really sing, but that costs, and integration has been a PITA. Fortunately, nirvana has arrived and I can spend my money on bar tabs instead.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ls50 have a 8 pouces, a horn, an active crossover and a power amp?

What's a pouce? There's nothing golden about an active crossover or power amp. The JBL LSR 305 delivers that for a pittance. They're nice, but have their limits. What bothers me is the 8351's have too many limitations for $8k per pair as noted by people who have been able to listen to them for a while. They might be great in a studio, but I don't have a studio,

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if Focal or ATC have something like this, but useful for the Genelecs. Add half a dozen more DB if I recall correctly since you are adding a pair of subs with the Genelecs. Top is short term output, bottom is long term output. Might be worth getting an SPL meter to see how loud you listen now, and deciding if more volume is needed.

1622837296532.png

Frgirard

Major Contributor
What's a pouce? There's nothing golden about an active crossover or power amp. The JBL LSR 305 delivers that for a pittance. They're nice, but have their limits. What bothers me is the 8351's have too many limitations for $8k per pair as noted by people who have been able to listen to them for a while. They might be great in a studio, but I don't have a studio,
If you don't know what a pouce, what do you here?
Two jbl 305 haven't the same response.
Pouce?

Top Bottom