• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec M040 vs hifi loudspeakers

Carlangas

I just bought a pair of Genelec M040, as a good-value opportunity came up. I set them up at my friends house and we compared them to her old 3-way Canton Fonum 100 (https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Fonum_100).
I was careful to match levels and EQ (just rolled off some bass from the back of the M040). We compared them in a stereo setup in virtually the same position.

The Canton sounded definitely more enjoyable to both of us. We both agreed the Canton sounded more detailed, open and more tridimensional. On the other hand, the Genelec sounded a bit warmer.
I suspect I should have lowered the bass even more on the M040. But besides that I was stunned with the difference.
Is it too much to compare a 2-way to a 3-way system?

I have a pair of Behringer B2031A at home which are too big for my room (What I do enjoy about oversized speakers is no need for subwoofer at low levels) and that I intend to replace with the Genelecs. Will see how those two stuck up.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Was there a reason you rolled off the bass in the Genelec? In Amir’s review he noted the bass is already shelved down in the M040 and he applied eq to raise it in order to get the most pleasure from the speaker.

OP
C

Carlangas

Was there a reason you rolled off the bass in the Genelec? In Amir’s review he noted the bass is already shelved down in the M040 and he applied eq to raise it in order to get the most pleasure from the speaker.
Just because to me, they sounded a bit boomy on top of the shelf where the Canton pair lay. The Canton didn't though.
I saw his EQ but it was only 1.5dB..

RobL

Just because to me, they sounded a bit boomy on top of the shelf where the Canton pair lay. The Canton didn't though.
I saw his EQ but it was only 1.5dB..
Ok, makes sense if it’s located on a shelf against a wall. I doubt anyone here will dispute what you and your friend find subjectively. :)
If this thread is anything to go by, the Cantons may have a flatter “in room” response, which will make them sound brighter than the Genelec’s. This may also give the impression/illusion of more detail to the sound.

OP
C

Carlangas

Ok, makes sense if it’s located on a shelf against a wall. I doubt anyone here will dispute what you and your friend find subjectively. :)
If this thread is anything to go by, the Cantons may have a flatter “in room” response, which will make them sound brighter than the Genelec’s. This may also give the impression/illusion of more detail to the sound.
That was a great read. How crazy he also compared against Canton loudspeakers! Although those were 2-way.

So yeah, it seems we both prefer brighter speakers. Good to know I guess.

Armin tested the B2030P which should (?) have a similar FR as my B2031A, which I like.
There's also a user who modded the B2031A (and got Armin's approval). Both measurements show a bright response.

Maybe my friend and I are already a bit deaf at high frequencies . What is still puzzling is that this (excess and lack of) brightness seemed to affect our perception quite a bit. I intentionally clarified that I was recounting our impression...

RobL

... What is still puzzling is that this (excess and lack of) brightness seemed to affect our perception quite a bit. I intentionally clarified that I was recounting our impression...
Without measurements it’s pretty difficult to say exactly why you hear such amount of difference between them. It’s quite likely that the Canton 100 (dome mid and tweeter mounted flush on flat baffle) has much wider dispersion in the highs than the Genelec (tweeter in waveguide). This wider dispersion pumps more high frequency energy into the room via reflections so would certainly be quite noticeable I think.

OP
C

Carlangas

Thanks a lot for all your insights @RobL!

Unfortunately, I already brought the new speakers home so I can't compare them to the Canton anymore for the time being, but it would certainly be interesting to get a better idea of what is going on.

dogmamann

I just bought a pair of Genelec M040, as a good-value opportunity came up. I set them up at my friends house and we compared them to her old 3-way Canton Fonum 100 (https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Fonum_100).
I was careful to match levels and EQ (just rolled off some bass from the back of the M040). We compared them in a stereo setup in virtually the same position.

The Canton sounded definitely more enjoyable to both of us. We both agreed the Canton sounded more detailed, open and more tridimensional. On the other hand, the Genelec sounded a bit warmer.
I suspect I should have lowered the bass even more on the M040. But besides that I was stunned with the difference.
Is it too much to compare a 2-way to a 3-way system?

I have a pair of Behringer B2031A at home which are too big for my room (What I do enjoy about oversized speakers is no need for subwoofer at low levels) and that I intend to replace with the Genelecs. Will see how those two stuck up.
You heard it wrong. Measurements won’t lie. Canton is inferior to the m040. May be canton hyped it a bit making you think it’s better but reality is genelec.

Top Bottom