• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351b with 2x 7370 vs Sopra No2 vs Atc 50 ASL

dfuller

Major Contributor
He says the actives sound better, but i Only trust my ears and they do sound better in the video.

Okay honestly I am seriously surprised there was as much of a difference as there was. The passives sounded very laid back by comparison. I wonder why this is?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Iam another one who is enamoured by the techological brilliance of the kii3 and D&D. However, after many listening sessions I would still pick ATC for my own use.

Other cheaper options are the dynaudio xd series and the Buchardt actives.

tw99

Okay honestly I am seriously surprised there was as much of a difference as there was. The passives sounded very laid back by comparison. I wonder why this is?

He explains at the beginning that the recording setup wasn’t guaranteed to be identical as it was done weeks apart, and he also mentioned he’s using Dirac with a different set of measurements for each speaker. That could certainly make a very big difference to how they sound! There's also no information on what level matching he did.

His contention is that the video reflects his original listening experience, but if the Mic was say a centimetre or two out of place, and also Dirac is doing something different by a dB or so here and there, that can account for a lot.

Having said that, I'm sure it's possible that there are audible differences between the two flavours.

Last edited:

Cadguy

In this video Ben Lilly from ATC mentions that a small number of people may prefer the passive ATCs because they're "less revealing" and "smooth the edges" of lesser recordings. (he says this at the 18.00 minute mark).

Frgirard

Major Contributor

In this video Ben Lilly from ATC mentions that a small number of people may prefer the passive ATCs because they're "less revealing" and "smooth the edges" of lesser recordings. (he says this at the 18.00 minute mark).
This is the reason for why in mastering studio the hifi passive speakers are more used.
This is the reason for why the passive NS10 invaded the consol of the galaxy.
:eek:

The atc guy better brag about the rosewood or the cd players sold at the price of the Paladium.

He should study a Infinity p360.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
This is the reason for why in mastering studio the hifi passive speakers are more used.
This is the reason for why the passive NS10 invaded the consol of the galaxy.
Not really. Most mastering studios I've been to that use ATCs use the actives. Active vs passive in mastering is a taste thing but ATCs are generally not passive.

As far as NS10s, they're grotboxes. Nobody expects them to be super flat and wide range, because they're quite audibly not.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How is this better than the 8361A that costs half?
Screenshot_20210604-171450.jpg
Screenshot_20210604-171457.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
How is this better than the 8361A that costs half?
Few things...
1, they can be flush mounted because of the front port. This is a useful thing in a large studio which is the use case for these.
2, they go louder. 115dB/1m continuous per speaker is truly monstrously loud (and this makes sense, as they are midfield designs rather than nearfields).
3, ATCs have a very long reputation for being damn near indestructible - drivers and amplifiers both. The Ones haven't been around that long and their long-term reliability track record is not known (this is not to suggest they're unreliable, but rather that they're a newish product).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Because every measured parameter is better.
Keith

Frgirard

Major Contributor
10 degrees for the vertical directivity, We must not move.

And the measurements where are they?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Not really. Most mastering studios I've been to that use ATCs use the actives. Active vs passive in mastering is a taste thing but ATCs are generally not passive.

As far as NS10s, they're grotboxes. Nobody expects them to be super flat and wide range, because they're quite audibly not.
Not really B&w in abbey road, amphion,revel, Yamaha ns1000... and the better speakers in the universe the JBL LSR 32 OR LSR 6332, classical labels...

Atc as B&W make great discounts.

dfuller

Major Contributor
10 degrees for the vertical directivity, We must not move.
+/-10 degrees is ATC understating it. They state that for everything and it's really more like +/-20 degrees in 3rd party tests (which is about average for a non-coax design).

Not really B&w in abbey road, amphion,revel... and the better speakers in the universe the JBL LSR 32 OR LSR 6332, classical labels.

Atc as B&W make great discounts.
Not sure what Amphion, B&W, JBL, or Revel have to do with studio ATCs almost always being the active ones???

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what Amphion, B&W, JBL, or Revel have to do with studio ATCs almost always being the active ones???

Confirmed - I have never seen a passive ATC in a studio. My only problem was (with my usual old-guy somewhat out of date caveat) is that the cone doping used to be a bit inconsistent. I assume it was done by hand, at least back in the day.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
+/-10 degrees is ATC understating it. They state that for everything and it's really more like +/-20 degrees in 3rd party tests (which is about average for a non-coax design).

You write they are not passive speakers in studio.?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Confirmed - I have never seen a passive ATC in a studio. My only problem was (with my usual old-guy somewhat out of date caveat) is that the cone doping used to be a bit inconsistent. I assume it was done by hand, at least back in the day.
They are bad. Luckily.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Few things...
1, they can be flush mounted because of the front port. This is a useful thing in a large studio which is the use case for these.
2, they go louder. 115dB/1m continuous per speaker is truly monstrously loud (and this makes sense, as they are midfield designs rather than nearfields).
3, ATCs have a very long reputation for being damn near indestructible - drivers and amplifiers both. The Ones haven't been around that long and their long-term reliability track record is not known (this is not to suggest they're unreliable, but rather that they're a newish product).
Isn't this louder?
Screenshot_20210604-181503.jpg

Top Bottom