• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320/8330 + 7350 or Neumann KH80/120mkII + KH750

mgu

Hello

Looking to get an upgrade over current Yamaha HS8 pair for a small home studio. Room is 2x3m, listening position will be 50-75cm from the monitors, which will be around 20cm from the back wall. Little treatment possible.

Was all set to go for the Genelec 8320/7350 with GLM and then looked more closely at the recent Neumann DSP monitors.

Questions as I see them:

1. Front vs rear ported - will it make a meaningful difference?
2. GLM vs MA1, the Genelec system seems to be more user friendly/fewer bugs compared with MA1. Perhaps this was teething problems with Neumann software; is it better now?
3. Genelec designs are now 10+ years old. Intrinsically not a problem but should this be a reason to prefer newer Neumann?
4. Other factors I haven’t considered.

I recognise that room treatment would likely make a much bigger difference than the delta between these manufacturers, but this is the art of the possible.

Any advice on which option to choose and why would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hello

Looking to get an upgrade over current Yamaha HS8 pair for a small home studio. Room is 2x3m, listening position will be 50-75cm from the monitors, which will be around 20cm from the back wall. Little treatment possible.

Was all set to go for the Genelec 8320/7350 with GLM and then looked more closely at the recent Neumann DSP monitors.

Questions as I see them:

1. Front vs rear ported - will it make a meaningful difference?
2. GLM vs MA1, the Genelec system seems to be more user friendly/fewer bugs compared with MA1. Perhaps this was teething problems with Neumann software; is it better now?
3. Genelec designs are now 10+ years old. Intrinsically not a problem but should this be a reason to prefer newer Neumann?
4. Other factors I haven’t considered.

I recognise that room treatment would likely make a much bigger difference than the delta between these manufacturers, but this is the art of the possible.

Any advice on which option to choose and why would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
My take

1) no difference
2) Yes GLM seems more stable. MA1 is frequently updated and worked for me from the start ca 2 years ago. Your individual network may differ and therefore your experience.
3) The Genelecs I had at home had more hiss when idle, which bothered me sitting at my desk. I therefore kept the KH80s. If this is important to you, better check.
4) Nope.

I had both at home, which I would suggest to everyone else. Just be careful and don’t abuse the return policies.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I would prefer GLM to MA1 hands down. But you probably calibrate not that often. The KH750 is hard to beat in a setup like yours. I am more than happy with with KH120/KH750 on/under my desk. Did not apply MA1 calibration, though I have everything in place to do so. Did not feel I need it.

mubix77

I would prefer GLM to MA1 hands down. But you probably calibrate not that often. The KH750 is hard to beat in a setup like yours. I am more than happy with with KH120/KH750 on/under my desk. Did not apply MA1 calibration, though I have everything in place to do so. Did not feel I need it.
How big is your desk? My desk is 180x80, would a combo of KH120/KH750 work or better to go with KH80?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
How big is your desk? My desk is 180x80, would a combo of KH120/KH750 work or better to go with KH80?
L-shaped combo, about the same size as yours on the longer part. I am fine with the KH750/KH120, but this is a very personal choice.

Top Bottom