• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330 A or Neumann KH 120 ii

Miguelón

I want to use 2 channel speakers for acoustic and classical music mainly, and also as digital piano monitors (Kawai ES 920).

My room is untreated so I decided to go for studio monitors with DSP room correction system, I’m hesitating now between Genelec 8330 A or Neumann KH 120 ii connected digitally to a streamer and analogue to the Kawai line out.

If anybody has opinions or experience about which speaker and software could be more natural for this kind of music, please share with me!

I think both are good monitors, and pretty sure by ear that my room need physical and DSP corrections, so I search for the differences between those two speakers rather than capacities.
Even Neumann KH 80 could be an option as I don’t play quite often the lowest octave of the piano.

Thanks for reading, Genelec or Neumann which worths better one month of my salary?

P.S: little stressed by two weeks comparing reviews, frequency response curves and learning room acoustics: no possibility of trying in my town for instance

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a problematic room I would recommend Neumanns because of their narrower dispersion and somewhat flatter response (Genelec user here)

Last edited:

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The KH120ii are a more recent design that offer better performance than the 8330A on most measurements: frequency response, directivity, bass extension, distortion, SPL.

I don't know how Genelec's GLM compare with Neumann's MA 1 for room compensation. That may be more important than the measurements.

OP
M

Miguelón

The KH120ii are a more recent design that offer better performance than the 8330A on most measurements: frequency response, directivity, bass extension, distortion, SPL.

I don't know how Genelec's GLM compare with Neumann's MA 1 for room compensation. That may be more important than the measurements.
I don’t know either, the 8030 sounds fantastic to me without compensations (just for casual listening): voices are perfect.

But Neumann’s specs are so good that I can’t resist the temptation to try. Fortunately I found a dealer who accept send me one that have to show, a couple of weeks…

No MA-1 calibration is possible as the software doesn’t allow a single speaker.

Top Bottom