• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just picked up a pair of these last night and spent almost 5 hours straight glued to my desk mesmerised, such a good speaker for the money. I really like how the sound so smooth and refined even when fed with source material that can easily get fatiguing on my horn loaded living room setup.

Only one negative for me personally, which I was fully prepared for. I listen to a lot of electronic music much of its energy down really low (20Hz-40Hz) and the 8030C hits the limits real fast in the bass department, as mentioned by Amir. The lows are nicely defined otherwise at lower levels, but if you are anything like me these 100% need to be paired with subwoofers.

All up, super happy camper. Personally I was saving for a pair of Neumann KH120ii/150, but don't feel bad about this "compromise" at all.
Nice "review", from a happy owner. My need for more sound between 20 and 50 Hz is not that urgent, but I also have the sub/s in mind. When I decide to go for it/them I'll have to face the decision to buy one Genelec sub or two mid-tiers, and I guess REW will be entering the equation too... so much work... :D

Elder

Nice "review", from a happy owner. My need for more sound between 20 and 50 Hz is not that urgent, but I also have the sub/s in mind. When I decide to go for it/them I'll have to face the decision to buy one Genelec sub or two mid-tiers, and I guess REW will be entering the equation too... so much work... :D
Personally I am going to build 2x sealed 15" subs (probably Ultimax) and sit one on either side of me. Previous setups with a single sub have always annoyed me eventually due to being able to localize the sub, and I wouldn't mind crossing the subs over fairly high to take a good load off the 8030C's woofers.

Before that though, next plan of action is picking up a mini DSP Flex, since there's no point rushing the subs before I'm able to correct the phase etc. Currently using windows volume control running into an old Cambridge Audio DAC at the moment, far from ideal I'm sure!

Sadly never heard a Genelec subwoofer, but their prices are just out of my league. I'm sure its a decent value if you were to use all the features, but my setup will be really basic and I wouldn't make full use of them. The 8030C is just great though and will serve as the perfect anchor for this system. Doesn't hurt that they are built like tanks and should with some luck last for many years to come.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I am :)

aslan7

Just picked up a pair of these last night and spent almost 5 hours straight glued to my desk mesmerised, such a good speaker for the money. I really like how the sound so smooth and refined even when fed with source material that can easily get fatiguing on my horn loaded living room setup.

Only one negative for me personally, which I was fully prepared for. I listen to a lot of electronic music much of its energy down really low (20Hz-40Hz) and the 8030C hits the limits real fast in the bass department, as mentioned by Amir. The lows are nicely defined otherwise at lower levels, but if you are anything like me these 100% need to be paired with subwoofers.

All up, super happy camper. Personally I was saving for a pair of Neumann KH120ii/150, but don't feel bad about this "compromise" at all.
Get the 7050C sub and you will be totally delighted.

YSC

Major Contributor
Personally I am going to build 2x sealed 15" subs (probably Ultimax) and sit one on either side of me. Previous setups with a single sub have always annoyed me eventually due to being able to localize the sub, and I wouldn't mind crossing the subs over fairly high to take a good load off the 8030C's woofers.

Before that though, next plan of action is picking up a mini DSP Flex, since there's no point rushing the subs before I'm able to correct the phase etc. Currently using windows volume control running into an old Cambridge Audio DAC at the moment, far from ideal I'm sure!

Sadly never heard a Genelec subwoofer, but their prices are just out of my league. I'm sure its a decent value if you were to use all the features, but my setup will be really basic and I wouldn't make full use of them. The 8030C is just great though and will serve as the perfect anchor for this system. Doesn't hurt that they are built like tanks and should with some luck last for many years to come.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I am :)
I am lazy and in the tiny room, got myself a UMIK1 and a 7040A and call it a nice day

aslan7

The 7040A is very fine. I find the Genelec subs easy to set up even though I’m generally inept at such things.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I see it, with no experience, the obvious advantage of picking a Genelec sub is that the curves match, so one only has to take care of the room interaction. And yes, I think I will end up too with a 7040A some day and optimize for a single listening position, my armchair.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
7x60 is first from the models that could be considered subwoofer. 7x50 can work in very small room, but it is rather limited. I guess that's still enough for most music.

YSC

Major Contributor
7x60 is first from the models that could be considered subwoofer. 7x50 can work in very small room, but it is rather limited. I guess that's still enough for most music.
it just depends on your desired volume, room gain and listening distance, or in my case, no room for anything thicker than the 7040. in my normal listening level of ~60-65db, it have plenty of juice, and that with room gain, the extension goes to ~30hz before dropping like a rock, but that is more than enough for most movies and music, and most importantly, going to 30hz is much better than 60hz.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it just depends on your desired volume, room gain and listening distance, or in my case, no room for anything thicker than the 7040. in my normal listening level of ~60-65db, it have plenty of juice, and that with room gain, the extension goes to ~30hz before dropping like a rock, but that is more than enough for most movies and music, and most importantly, going to 30hz is much better than 60hz.
Ok, that's not loud. Still the price difference to 7050 is only 200€. One really, really needs to have small sub to go with that. As long as buyer knows what he is getting then sure.

I have to admit that the 7x60 is kind of huge, but it sure made a big difference compared to 7350.

YSC

Major Contributor
Ok, that's not loud. Still the price difference to 7050 is only 200€. One really, really needs to have small sub to go with that. As long as buyer knows what he is getting then sure.

I have to admit that the 7x60 is kind of huge, but it sure made a big difference compared to 7350.
My listening space is like 30 sq foot here, so you know the reason;)

Leonm771

guys , having the genelec sub , do I need to reset the speaker's dips to default? ?

YSC

Major Contributor
guys , having the genelec sub , do I need to reset the speaker's dips to default? ?
I would do so, so that the cross over slope matches without the bass management dip switches affect the FR, of course, if you are putting them on a desk those desk mode and HF trim switch can still be used, just don't use the bass -2, -4 or bass tilt switches

Leonm771

I would do so, so that the cross over slope matches without the bass management dip switches affect the FR, of course, if you are putting them on a desk those desk mode and HF trim switch can still be used, just don't use the bass -2, -4 or bass tilt switches

Before having 7040a , only bass roll off -4dB is on.

Now only bass tilt -2dB is on.

I feel like I should not do any change on dips.

YSC

Major Contributor
I feel like bass tilt -2 or -4 are still needed, bass roll off -4dB should be off.
Did you do some measurement? coz I found engaging that will make a wider dip and making crossover slope mismatch, instead after I added a 7040A I reset all dip switches and use EQ APO in my PC to do the in room EQ for bass

Leonm771

Did you do some measurement? coz I found engaging that will make a wider dip and making crossover slope mismatch, instead after I added a 7040A I reset all dip switches and use EQ APO in my PC to do the in room EQ for bass

Nope :( I do not have measurement microphone, maybe I will buy one few months later.
I was just testing the Phase Alignment , in my case , 0 is loudest .

Can you share your setting? I feel like everyone is different.
Should I follow the guidebook to adjust the sub and monitors , close to the wall bassroll -2dB , speaker bass tilt -4dB ?

My dips setting right now ,
sub: bass roll -2dB
speakers : bass tilt -2dB

I feel like the speakers are little bit noisy when everything set to default , my experience is bass roll -4dB , everything sound good . I am wondering should I just use the old setting .

Before having 7040a ,
speakers : bass roll -4dB

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Nope :( I do not have measurement microphone, maybe I will buy one few months later.
I was just testing the Phase Alignment , in my case , 0 is loudest .

Can you share your setting? I feel like everyone is different.
Should I follow the guidebook to adjust the sub and monitors , close to the wall bassroll -2dB , speaker bass tilt -4dB ?

My dips setting right now ,
sub: bass roll -2dB
speakers : bass tilt -2dB

I feel like the speakers are little bit noisy when everything set to default , my experience is bass roll -4dB , everything sound good . I am wondering just use the old setting on dips.

Before having 7040a ,
speakers : bass roll -4dB
I right now have both set to zero, the sensitivity to be same as the main monitor, and then go REW and EQ for the PC, but if you don't do the measurement and bass EQ, I would say just set the sub to bass roll off to your liking, since it will take care of the all critical bass frequency, and high pass to the 8030C with no dip switch engaged at the correct cross over slope above 85hz.

ModularInsanity

Ready to upgrade from Sonos junk, but won’t be able to buy a sub till my next birthday. concerned about the low end. How do these sound on Daft Punk’s Homework album? and maybe NIN hesitation marks?

YSC

Major Contributor
Ready to upgrade from Sonos junk, but won’t be able to buy a sub till my next birthday. concerned about the low end. How do these sound on Daft Punk’s Homework album? and maybe NIN hesitation marks?
Sonos usually are quite good already. For low end you will need to consider listening distance also, in near field, putting near a wall the mid bass is still quite ok for music content, but if you are after those chest vibrating bass, sorry, 8030C won't do it

Liya

IMG_5038.jpeg
IMG_5038.jpeg

I just put the 8030C on my desk. I am sitting same distance to the speakers as the distance between left and right speaker. They sound dreadful. What I am doing wrong?
btw, I have applied 'against a wall' bass correction via switches at the back of the monitors. No other corrections on my RME.

Top Bottom