• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Pancreas

on desk I let it engaged but since I use PC as source, I found using EQ APO with REW with high Q filter corrects better than the switches, so ended up I turn off all switches and do SW EQ
Pc as source only works if you only use pc

What about my gaming consoles connected to my audio interface

YSC

Major Contributor
Pc as source only works if you only use pc

What about my gaming consoles connected to my audio interface
you can always use the hdmi splitter to use the dac also, but as for actual effect, you need to do measurement in room to decide, no online guessing could get you the best answer

Pancreas

you can always use the hdmi splitter to use the dac also, but as for actual effect, you need to do measurement in room to decide, no online guessing could get you the best answer

and what would be the best way the most quality sound from PS5?

PS5 doesn't have optical, it transfers sound through HDMI, but since my computer monitor has built in speakers, I used the headphone jack to connect computer monitor to audio interface via

3.5mm 1/8" TRS to Dual 6.35mm 1/4" TS Mono Stereo Y-Cable Splitter

It's not ideal but it works and I get decent sound

YSC

Major Contributor
and what would be the best way the most quality sound from PS5?

PS5 doesn't have optical, it transfers sound through HDMI, but since my computer monitor has built in speakers, I used the headphone jack to connect computer monitor to audio interface via

3.5mm 1/8" TRS to Dual 6.35mm 1/4" TS Mono Stereo Y-Cable Splitter

It's not ideal but it works and I get decent sound
if it works, just forget it, without proper EQ to tame and since gaming sound quality isn't that great to begin with, I won't bother changing much, I play PS5 via the TV screen and the paired KRK RP5 G4 only.

Pancreas

Can the 8030c speakers be used for surround setup?

For example. I already have the 8030c but they don't have SAM

If in the future I decided to buy one or a couple of more Genelec speakers and they happen to be SAM, how can they work together with a non SAM?

If I'm going to do surround wouldn't it be better to go with the most affordable speakers such as 8030c regardless if it doesn't have SAM?

I may choose to do 4.1

iNetRunner

Can the 8030c speakers be used for surround setup?

For example. I already have the 8030c but they don't have SAM

If in the future I decided to buy one or a couple of more Genelec speakers and they happen to be SAM, how can they work together with a non SAM?

If I'm going to do surround wouldn't it be better to go with the most affordable speakers such as 8030c regardless if it doesn't have SAM?

I may choose to do 4.1
Sure you can do it multichannel setup with active speakers like the Genelec. You just either need an AVR with preamplifier outputs for all channels (like e.g. Denon AVR-X3800H or up, Onkyo TX-RZ50, etc.), or as an (usually more expensive) option you can go with an AVP (i.e AV Processor) (like for example Anthem AVM 70 8K).

And since you are using the analog inputs on the speakers, it doesn’t matter if you go with 80x0 series or SAM series models. Also you could use the internal DSP in SAM models for room correction, or you can use the Dirac Live, Anthem ARC System, or Audyssey MultEQ XT32 from the AVR/AVP.

Pancreas

Sure you can do it multichannel setup with active speakers like the Genelec. You just either need an AVR with preamplifier outputs for all channels (like e.g. Denon AVR-X3800H or up, Onkyo TX-RZ50, etc.), or as an (usually more expensive) option you can go with an AVP (i.e AV Processor) (like for example Anthem AVM 70 8K).

And since you are using the analog inputs on the speakers, it doesn’t matter if you go with 80x0 series or SAM series models. Also you could use the internal DSP in SAM models for room correction, or you can use the Dirac Live, Anthem ARC System, or Audyssey MultEQ XT32 from the AVR/AVP.

Well, I have my Genelec connected to my audio interface which is this, they connected to the main out. Why would I need an AVR with a preamp?

Motu-UltraLite-Mk5.001.jpeg

Ellebob

Forum Donor
No need for a receiver/processor. I am sure he was thinking you are using this for home theater and not mixing.

iNetRunner

You didn’t specify what your source(s) where going to be. Like Ellebob mentioned, most people use multichannel decoder based products to build their home theater. And they use them for home theater applications, not often as a mixing system, or as a PC only system.

Pancreas

I do everything on desk such watching movies, playing video games, guitar through my speakers, etc. Also my TV is on the wall, above my desk and Ive been thinking about hooking my tv to audio interface with optical so i can use my speakers but I don’t know

Pancreas

You didn’t specify what your source(s) where going to be. Like Ellebob mentioned, most people use multichannel decoder based products to build their home theater. And they use them for home theater applications, not often as a mixing system, or as a PC only system.

Surround can be used for music applications

iNetRunner

Surround can be used for music applications
I didn’t mean to imply it couldn’t. But certainly the Apple Atmos music mixes are a bit unconventional way to enjoy most of the music out there (that is still 2ch).

Also your current interface doesn’t support multichannel digital audio through the S/PDIF ports. So unless you got an external multichannel decoder, you would be limited to just stereo audio from your TV.

Pancreas

I didn’t mean to imply it couldn’t. But certainly the Apple Atmos music mixes are a bit unconventional way to enjoy most of the music out there (that is still 2ch).

Also your current interface doesn’t support multichannel digital audio through the S/PDIF ports. So unless you got an external multichannel decoder, you would be limited to just stereo audio from your TV.

that's what I don't understand, if I have 2 speakers, and buy another one and put in center, i should be able to hear sound from 3

If I have 5 speakers, shouldn't I be able to hear music and movies through all 5 speakers regardless? If they are all connect to the TRS line outs on my interface

How does the guy in the video does it then

YSC

Major Contributor
that's what I don't understand, if I have 2 speakers, and buy another one and put in center, i should be able to hear sound from 3

If I have 5 speakers, shouldn't I be able to hear music and movies through all 5 speakers regardless? If they are all connect to the TRS line outs on my interface

seems you get confused, it's the optical input signal is 2 channels only, so no matter how many speakers you plug in, when you use SPDIF source, you will still get 2 channel

iNetRunner

Please see the specs of your MOTU UltraLite-mk5. The digital inputs only accept 8ch ADAT. But in S/PDIF format you are limited to 2ch (because the device doesn’t know how to decode the multichannel formats like DD, DD+, DTS, etc.).

Snoopy

Major Contributor

A AV receiver would have been better for you.

Multiple Line-in, digital inputs, hdmi input's and usually 2 hdmi outputs.

Pancreas

But I wasn’t thinking of connecting other speakers like that

I would connect other speakers via TRS cables to the line out, as such, shouldn’t I be able to hear sound from all speakers?

I bought an audio interface because I’m a guitar player

Zensō

Major Contributor
But I wasn’t thinking of connecting other speakers like that

I would connect other speakers via TRS cables to the line out, as such, shouldn’t I be able to hear sound from all speakers?

I bought an audio interface because I’m a guitar player
You’ll hear sound in all the speakers, but it won’t be separated out into surround channels, it will just be the same 2-channel stereo mix playing in more speakers, which is not surround.

Pancreas

You’ll hear sound in all the speakers, but it won’t be separated out into surround channels, it will just be the same 2-channel stereo mix playing in more speakers, which is not surround.

So i would need an AV receiver that does surround, and connect all speakers to that?

But then my guitar playing may suffer. These av receivers are not suited for that, plus they dont have an instrument input and are not zero latency and have all the benefits an audio interface offers for music

Zensō

Major Contributor
So i would need an AV receiver that does surround, and connect all speakers to that?

But then my guitar playing may suffer. These av receivers are not suited for that, plus they dont have an instrument input and are not zero latency and have all the benefits an audio interface offers for music
Yeah, they’re two unrelated activities that don’t really cross over. Why is it you feel the need for more speakers?

Top Bottom