• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,
Hope you can help about my dilemma.
I have recently bought pair of Focal alpha 80 evo's, for nearfield music listening on my computer desk at home. Room is pretty small, 10m2, without acoustic treatment. For some type of music, electronic, blues and similar are ok, but for rock for example, highs are just to harsh for longer listening so I'm looking for alternative and heard good things about Genelec monitors.
Choice is between 8030c w. 7050c or 8330a w. 7350a. Second combo is better in terms of adjustability with GLM but I'm not sure can I use calibration mic that I already have from Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 room correction system and connecting laptop with ethernet directly to speakers or I need GLM kit for that?
Are there any sound differences between the two and would it make sense to get 8030c with 7350a sub or vice versa, 8330a with 7050c to cut down some expenses?
Sound wise as I understood reading multiple threads on this forum, without sound correction, they should sound the same, or maybe I'm wrong.
You need the GLM kit.

Just get the SAM speakers. The resale value is better and with the GLM they are ready to be used for your second (or seventh) system later on. The specs are better on SAM versions, no idea if that brings audibly benefits.

Then there is room correction. I know GLM does a good job, but no idea about Room Perfect. Does it do subs? You have an old amp, does it use the "best" version of Room Perfect? In case of Audyssey example the budget implementations are not that great.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi all,
I have recently bought pair of Focal alpha 80 evo's, for nearfield music listening on my computer desk at home. Room is pretty small, 10m2, without acoustic treatment. For some type of music, electronic, blues and similar are ok, but for rock for example, highs are just to harsh for longer listening so I'm looking for alternative and heard good things about Genelec monitors.
Choice is between 8030c w. 7050c or 8330a w. 7350a. Second combo is better in terms of adjustability with GLM but I'm not sure can I use calibration mic that I already have from Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 room correction system and connecting laptop with ethernet directly to speakers or I need GLM kit for that?
Are there any sound differences between the two and would it make sense to get 8030c with 7350a sub or vice versa, 8330a with 7050c to cut down some expenses?
Sound wise as I understood reading multiple threads on this forum, without sound correction, they should sound the same, or maybe I'm wrong.
Are you using PC as source? if so I would suggest you use EQAPO and REW to do the calibration manually, not difficult to implement but the restriction is that you need a PC as only source for that purpose, saving a lot of money for other investments seems better to me

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi all,

Unless you buy the GLM Kit (used for room EQ, sound character profile and other settings) there is no benefit in buying the 8330A/7350A over the 8030C/7050C.

I've two pairs of 8330A for desktop use where one pair has the 7350A subwoofer and the other has the 7360A. Both are very nice desktop setups, in which the 7360A subwoofer can play louder and a little deeper than the 7350A.

Once you've calibrated the monitor/subwoofer there is no need to keep the GLM Kit connected, unless you want to change the volume level via GLM.

Roolieman

You need the GLM kit.

Just get the SAM speakers. The resale value is better and with the GLM they are ready to be used for your second (or seventh) system later on. The specs are better on SAM versions, no idea if that brings audibly benefits.

Then there is room correction. I know GLM does a good job, but no idea about Room Perfect. Does it do subs? You have an old amp, does it use the "best" version of Room Perfect? In case of Audyssey example the budget implementations are not that great.
SAM option is best off course, but with glm kit will cost ~1000EUR more than non SAM.
Room Perfect does a great job with room correction, but it works only on TDAI 2200 and connected speakers (Gallo Strada, and TR-1 stereo subs). Idea is to use just Room Perfect supplied microphone for calibration, but if it is not possible for SAM to use it without glm box, then I will use it on non SAM option.

Are you using PC as source? if so I would suggest you use EQAPO and REW to do the calibration manually, not difficult to implement but the restriction is that you need a PC as only source for that purpose, saving a lot of money for other investments seems better to me
Yes, PC is primary source, maybe sometimes phone via BT. Focals are now connected though iFi Gryphon DAC/AMP.
Will try to test room perfect mic with software you suggested on Focals.
Other option is Singxer SU-6 audio bridge and AES/EBU digital if opted for SAM Genelecs, but just for test purpose since I use that for connecting PC to primary Lyngdorf/Gallo system.

Unless you buy the GLM Kit (used for room EQ, sound character profile and other settings) there is no benefit in buying the 8330A/7350A over the 8030C/7050C.

I've two pairs of 8330A for desktop use where one pair has the 7350A subwoofer and the other has the 7360A. Both are very nice desktop setups, in which the 7360A subwoofer can play louder and a little deeper than the 7350A.

Once you've calibrated the monitor/subwoofer there is no need to keep the GLM Kit connected, unless you want to change the volume level via GLM.
Thats about what my thinking is, don't see any SQ difference besides better/easier correction setup. One more thing I stumbled in Genelec threads is that cross frequency on 7050 is fixed on 85Hz, and on 7550a is configurable, which might help a lot in my room.

What are your thougths about using hybrid configuration, for example 8030c with 7350a sub, in theory than I can play with cross frequency on sub, and on speakers with jumpers.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thats about what my thinking is, don't see any SQ difference besides better/easier correction setup. One more thing I stumbled in Genelec threads is that cross frequency on 7050 is fixed on 85Hz, and on 7550a is configurable, which might help a lot in my room.

What are your thougths about using hybrid configuration, for example 8030c with 7350a sub?

No point using the 7350A with the 8030C if you want to use GLM as that does not work with the 8030C, and then the 7050 is cheaper and works the same.

The 7050 has the fixed crossover of 85Hz, but depending on the situation it can beneficial to change that. For me I use 95 Hz as to partly avoid deep dips my 8330A has, and using GLM it's quite quick to try out various placements of the monitors and the subwoofer. It's worth noting that Genelec uses a steep crossover slope of 48 dB/octave (at least for the SAM).

With something like SAM enabled Genelec monitors/subwoofer is that it just works (transparently) after setup and calibration, and no update of other software/driver on my PC will break that. No other software or drivers on my PC even knows about it nor need to. It really is low maintenance and reliable, but it does cost more. It's similar for my RME ADI-2 DAC FS where I use its onboard DSP (like PEQ, dynamic loudness). Works like a charm all the time with, just like the Genelec.

You can do all of this using PC software (or similar for other OS), but for me that is a hassle that is prone to break at any time and does not work well with other software you've installed.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
SAM option is best off course, but with glm kit will cost ~1000EUR more than non SAM.
Room Perfect does a great job with room correction, but it works only on TDAI 2200 and connected speakers (Gallo Strada, and TR-1 stereo subs). Idea is to use just Room Perfect supplied microphone for calibration, but if it is not possible for SAM to use it without glm box, then I will use it on non SAM option.

Yes, PC is primary source, maybe sometimes phone via BT. Focals are now connected though iFi Gryphon DAC/AMP.
Will try to test room perfect mic with software you suggested on Focals.
Other option is Singxer SU-6 audio bridge and AES/EBU digital if opted for SAM Genelecs, but just for test purpose since I use that for connecting PC to primary Lyngdorf/Gallo system.

What are your thougths about using hybrid configuration, for example 8030c with 7350a sub, in theory than I can play with cross frequency on sub, and on speakers with jumpers.
I do suggest you to try use the free REW and EQ APO, using those to fine tune how many filters you want to put to follow whatever target curve is more free compared to GLM but you lost the store in speaker setting advantage.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
At @Roolieman : try this ^^^ first before investing money. It is free, there is a good chance it fixes your problem and you will learn more about the problem to begin with. After that you can still spent money on nice monitors.

Edit. You need a ca 80USD Umik1 so it is not entirely free but pretty much a small invest in comparison.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
highs are just to harsh for longer listening
Have you used the adjustment knobs in the back of the speakers? If that doesn't suffice, use parametric EQ as you should be doing anyway for room compensation. Try REW and EqualizerAPO.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Room is pretty small, 10m2, without acoustic treatment. For some type of music, electronic, blues and similar are ok, but for rock for example, highs are just to harsh for longer listening so I'm looking for alternative and heard good things about Genelec monitors.
I doubt the Genelecs are going to solve this for you, more likely you’re hearing characteristics of your untreated room. I would do as others have suggested and use REW to find out what is happening, then make whatever corrections are needed to compensate for your room and personal preferences.

Roolieman

Thx, will try to fix Focal issues first, and learn how to use calibration tools, before going Genelec way. Also at least some basic room treatment can be done.
There should be guides on this forum about that.
If lucky I don't even need to buy Umik1 since room perfect mic has standard 3.5mm connection adapter.

Attachments

• microphone.jpg
    microphone.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 40

aslan7

After a long wait I pulled the plug and bought a pair of the 8030Cs and they are quite amazing. They also fit very well on the very solid Genelec 8000 409B stands that are made by K & H in Germany. I'm not certain if a sub will be necessary down the line but the 7050 is very tempting. Everyone insists on the "near field" term but they sound great eight feet away and five feet apart. I did try the Focal 65 EVO but it struck me as a little harsh in the highs and the size was too big. Still, it sounded quite good. I could easily envision using the 8030s in the living room instead of the computer room. Anyhow, the 8030 is a great product and it's easy to see why Genelec has such a high reputation.

Roolieman

The same harshness is making me replacing Focal alpha 80 evo's with Genelec's. I will probably get 8330a + glm and add 7350a sub later if needed.

aslan7

The same harshness is making me replacing Focal alpha 80 evo's with Genelec's. I will probably get 8330a + glm and add 7350a sub later if needed.
I'm sure you are going to be extremely pleased with your new Genelec system. I found the Focals to be exhausting, really fatiguing, but the bottom end was fine. For the money the Evos are a great deal. They are also huge, too much so for me. I forgot to mention that there is absolutely zero hiss with my Genelec 8030s (I run them through my Topping DX7 Pro). I'd like the sub at some point but lack the knowledge to set it up correctly.

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm sure you are going to be extremely pleased with your new Genelec system. I found the Focals to be exhausting, really fatiguing, but the bottom end was fine. For the money the Evos are a great deal. They are also huge, too much so for me. I forgot to mention that there is absolutely zero hiss with my Genelec 8030s (I run them through my Topping DX7 Pro). I'd like the sub at some point but lack the knowledge to set it up correctly.
if single sub and using the Genelec ones, it can't be easier... get rew if you have, try start with same sensitivity setting as your 8030Cs, plug in and the built in high pass filter will do the cross over with you, if you don't have rew to check the phase, try using it in same distance from the 8030C to your listening position, it should do the timing well, use EQ and REW to fix the room modes, or if you don't have, follow the manual suggestion to set the sub roll off dip switches and you get it like 80% there

Trell

Major Contributor
if single sub and using the Genelec ones, it can't be easier... get rew if you have, try start with same sensitivity setting as your 8030Cs, plug in and the built in high pass filter will do the cross over with you, if you don't have rew to check the phase, try using it in same distance from the 8030C to your listening position, it should do the timing well, use EQ and REW to fix the room modes, or if you don't have, follow the manual suggestion to set the sub roll off dip switches and you get it like 80% there

In the Genelec manual for the 7050C there is also a step-by-step how to set the phase as long as one can feed the subwoofer with a 85 Hz tone.

YSC

Major Contributor
In the Genelec manual for the 7050C there is also a step-by-step how to set the phase as long as one can feed the subwoofer with a 85 Hz tone.
yea but that is not too precise though

Martini

Forum Donor
EQ question:
I just received a pair 8030c for a desktop set up. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, as I'm waiting for my new DAC to show up. I use Dirac (Stand-alone) on my main system and may run it on these too. Question is, unless I get very lucky and able to get a reasonably smooth response by adjusting the DIP switches; should I run Dirac with the DIP switch adjustment IN or with them all OFF, letting the computer handle it all?

Trell

Major Contributor
EQ question:
I just received a pair 8030c for a desktop set up. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, as I'm waiting for my new DAC to show up. I use Dirac (Stand-alone) on my main system and may run it on these too. Question is, unless I get very lucky and able to get a reasonably smooth response by adjusting the DIP switches; should I run Dirac with the DIP switch adjustment IN or with them all OFF, letting the computer handle it all?
Run Dirac with the adjustments off.

Martini

Forum Donor
Run Dirac with the adjustments off.
Thanks. Hopefully I'll get to mess with stuff today or tomorrow, depending on when UPS makes the drop today.

Reactions: YSC
Top Bottom