• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

wsmith

Yes, he definitely should test them both ways. The room reflections will be quite different between the orientations.

For those unaware, the models being discussed are near-field monitors. Designed to be used close enough that their sound pressure overpowers accoustical reflections which are thus rendered moot, if you will.

As for for stand-mounting, using anything but the Genelec mounting plate will transmit vibration to the stand and also potentially back to the speaker. The Genelec plate is designed to work with the isopods.

Would that make a difference in satisfactory operation? Your mileage regarding vibrational resonances may vary. One could get out the accelerometers for testing... I'll just stick to the mounting plates.

wsmith

For those unaware, the models being discussed are near-field monitors. Designed to be used close enough that their sound pressure overpowers accoustical reflections which are thus rendered moot, if you will.

As for for stand-mounting, using anything but the Genelec mounting plate will transmit vibration to the stand and also potentially back to the speaker. The Genelec plate is designed to work with the isopods.

Would that make a difference in satisfactory operation? Your mileage regarding vibrational resonances may vary. One could get out the accelerometers for testing... I'll just stick to the mounting plates.

The mounting plates can only be used with the monitors in an upright position in order to interface with the isopods. The table stands look cool though.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The K&M mic stands I use are at least as good in isolation, probably better. Remember these are designed for microphones and must prevent movements of the desktop reaching the microphone.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember these are designed for microphones
Given that, I am surprised they can hold loudspeakers steadily despite their weight and larger volume.

wsmith

The K&M mic stands I use are at least as good in isolation, probably better. Remember these are designed for microphones and must prevent movements of the desktop reaching the microphone.

I would argue that:

1) vibrational resonances are nearly the potential problem with mic stands compared with speaker stands.

2) stability of K&M and other comparable, quality stands, really isn't in question. A mic stand can certainly be modified with an adapter to hold a speaker and be stable.

3 The question is how does it isolate against transfer of vibration? The plate catalog no. I refer to in this thread accomplished that function. Other mounting designs may be stable but don't properly work in conjunction with the isopods.

Again, your mileage may vary on whether vibrational resonance is a concern for your particular usage. Genelec makes other types of mounts such as back plates, wall mounts, ceiling mounts, etc. Obviously users of those systems dont find them to be detrimental. As long as the monitor is at ear level and doesn't come crashing down to the ground is enough for them.

wsmith

As a recording engineer of live events I admit that isolation, i.e. shock mounting, for example, of a mic is often important. But I've see any of those that could be adapter for use with a studio monitor.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
3 The question is how does it isolate against transfer of vibration?

The base of the K&M stands has a thick rubber ring on the bottom. I don't know if it isolates as well as the isopods, but it shouldn't be far off?

wsmith

The Genelec plate is specifically designed to isolate the monitor from the stand by preserving the functionality of the isopod which de-couples the monitor from whatever it sits on or whatever the plate is screwed down on.

Look at bottom of isopod to see holes which mate to prongs on plate. That mating prevents monitor from tipping over yet it doesn't interfere with isopod functionality.

A rubber bottom of a mic stand limits transfer of vibration of a stage from entering mics, especially ones with self noise. Performers often like to tilt a mic stand and sometimes the base will "wheel" around a bit too. Then they'll let it plop down flat as they let go of the stand. Handling, or self-noise noise can also be further limited with a de-coupling rubber shock mount to attach the mic to the stand.

Typically, needing to isolate stage rumbling or a mic's handling noise with a rubber stand base isn't needed in a DAW post production monitoring environment. But isolating the monitor is.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The base of the K&M stands has a thick rubber ring on the bottom. I don't know if it isolates as well as the isopods, but it shouldn't be far off?
It could be better. The rubber of this ring is much softer than the isopods, so the resonance frequency must be quite a bit lower.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a recording engineer of live events I admit that isolation, i.e. shock mounting, for example, of a mic is often important. But I've see any of those that could be adapter for use with a studio monitor.
Well, there must have been a reason why my Genelec 8020a has a microphone stand compatible screw hole. Why not use it?

wsmith

By all means then. I am just offering the alternative position that decoupling the speaker from any chosen stand by using the iso-mounting plate + isopod would logically be better. Having said that, if you dont have any resonances feeding back to the monitor's housing, then you need not concern yourself with decoupling.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 8030C’s were delivered today!! I’m really impressed by the level of detail I’m getting out of them. Imaging is also excellent. I’m impressed... Although their intended application is in my home office system, I’m trying them in my main system while waiting for the 8351B’s...

C4D461CC-D4F5-4C93-B464-3F255CE3E4D1.jpeg
C4CBFC4C-66FA-4486-BD09-31E0BA8FCB9D.jpeg
FE8324C9-713F-4E15-B7AC-552DF9EB5863.jpeg

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Just curious as to what the delivery times are. I understood at one point it was hard to get the 8351b's.
I ordered mine in mid August. Yesterday FedEx told me they are on the way...

Last edited:

Maiky76

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Last edited:

scherbakov_al

Good overview. The good news is that more attention is paid to nonlinear distortion. Smooth frequency response, that's cool, of course. But you twist your head, your auricles create frequency changes, the location in the room changes... I think that from a certain level of unevenness the frequency response ceases to be significant, because over time, hearing adapts slightly, as it adapts to the color temperature. But if nonlinear distortion are present - there is no getting around - they can be heard or can make the sound cloudy. Although sometimes they can give a feeling of "assertiveness". For example, I can clearly hear the 3rd harmonic from 1000Hz, which is 50dB below the main signal. Especially, if in the room 1000Hz forms a standing wave, then moving in space you can get into the zone where 1000Hz will fall in level, and 3000Hz will be clearly audible.

Curiously, DACs and amplifiers have reached stunning levels in nonlinear distortion .. distortion is sometimes below 130dB! They are transparent to sound. But the speaker has a distortion level of -50-60dB. I would ask researchers to pay more attention to the topic of measuring nonlinear distortion in speakers. It is interesting! And also add measurements to the table, where it would be possible to compare different dynamics with each other in terms of nonlinear distortion. Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom