• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

wsmith

They are too tall for home use.

Genelec makes stand mounting plates #8020-408, specifically for my 8020s. So be sure to get the correct plate for your model. The center mounting hole is 3/8ths. But it's a BSW (British Standard Whitworth) thread. Supposedly compatible with UNC for all widths except 1/2 inch. And it may fit but wouldn't be guaranteed spec'd as stable. So you need either Genelec stands or any that has a 3/8" BSW male threaded bolt. Genelec stand bolt is 20mm max length so plate can be screwed tight but doesn't touch bottom of monitor. Any stand bolt or adapter to a different stand needs to be 20mm max length too.

The thread pitch is different so it wouldn't be good enough for me even if it did fit. Screw it down enough and it could get thread bound and locked up. Then stripped when forced loose.

The plates have 4 prongs for mating with the underside holes of the rubber isolation base that comes standard with the monitors. That holds it from falling off whatever stand you use.

BSW was a standard goin back to old school British camera and video industry gear that somehow persisted internationally before there was any other standard for such. Presumably that's why Genelec chose it. They also use BSW on their stands male mounting bolt threads.

Hope this helps.

wsmith

BTW FWIW,

Below is a Google search for some adapters that can adapt a variety of stand types to Genelec mounting plates. I assume them to all be BSW threads but would verify.

I may get a couple so I can mount 8020s to a couple of extra light stands with 5/8 inch mounting studs. Then I could stand-mount my 8020s at remote locations.

Plus, to me 170 bucks per Genelec stand seems exorbitant for what it is. And light stands I have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baby to 3/8 adapter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A bit late to the (Genelec) party. I have read several posts on this thread and , of course, Amir's review. This is one amazing speaker. In the scheme of things audiophile and arguably consumer, the price is more than decent, for an accurate, nearly full range speaker system.
An HT based on those with some smaller Genelec speakers for height, one of the better measuring Denon with Auro upmixing ( X-3700?). Such a sanely priced system, could be the gateway toward the discovery of MCH Audio too.. A move I am carefully considering.
Some audiophiles conditioning are still ingrained however, I prefer bigger, speakers in general.
I keep on asking: Even with good subs suitably DSP/EQed, say a trio of Rythmik or SVS to name those 2 brands, Can these Genelec, fool one, into thinking you are listening to a "big" speaker system? I welcome subjective answers to these questions.

Important factors for me (And I am sure others):
There are not many Audio dealers for the gears I consider. I usually buy in the USA andd have them forwarded to me.
I don't have the luxury of auditioning, before committing,
Returning if not pleased, is not an option, regardless of the manufacturers policies, because it takes from 2 weeks to 3 months between purchasing and having the components in my possession...
COVID-19
My moves, then, have to be carefully researched, thus the numerous questions, pondering and thought experiments..
Sorry ...and Thanks in advance :)

P.S. The value proposition is important.. The level of accuracy brought in by the gears we are discussing is tremendous. We must keep this in perspective when considering total system cost . $10,000 is what many pay for a set of cables ... Some of these High End aficionados are sincerely and actively trying to achieve accurate reproduction in their home or HT.

wsmith

Hi FrantzM,

Personally, regarding sub woofers to go with Genelecs, I wouldn't even consider any but a Genelec sub rated to pair with biggest ones you ha with e in your surround HT system. Genelec has already done the matching to perfection.

I haven't pressed the buy myself on a HT system yet. Still researching various aspects of general system integration and othe components such as AVR etc.

But I am absolutely decided on going with Genelecs based on my experience using them in my post production listening experience. As I said previously I have recorded enough orchestral, chamber, and piano concerto and recital performances with superbly articulate mic's and a fabulous recorder. I always record from the wings of the stage so I can lift my headphones and hear the performance. Never recording from a remote truck since I know the noise floor is so insignificant.

Then to listen to the recordings in post, I think I have gained a fine sense of how accurate and transparent my 8020s are near-field. Even without a matching sub woofer. Since I know I'm going to upgrade my Genelecs I see no need to get a sub to match my 8020s. I have also listened to my recordings on a friend's tube system with audio sub for comparison.

My research on the newer SAM models says that using the GLM calibration system will not modify each monitor's tonal signature based on its position and room accoustics. It will automatically calibrate the latency timing of each monitor relative to my position. I see this feature to manually do it or use an included mic in some systems to do so automatically in some systems but Ie never bothered. I know its important to fiddle with for a high end HT system and room and will just trust the Genelec SAM and GLM system to do it all perfectly.

So you can see I have faith in Genelec. I just wish I currently was not out of work due to the pandemic and could justify the expense. I feel my recording experience has opened my ears and mind to audiophile inclinations. I also have to be careful with with money.

So I sit here patiently and research other components like AVRs and DACs and Roons, etc etc. Mind numbing. I think this site is great!

wsmith

Sorry, I incorrectly state that the GLM app "will not" modify the tonal signature. Of course, it will do so.

¥€$

Even with good subs suitably DSP/EQed, say a trio of Rythmik or SVS to name those 2 brands, Can these Genelec, fool one, into thinking you are listening to a "big" speaker system? I welcome subjective answers to these questions.

My understanding is that small speakers + sub/subs will never sound as good as a "true" full range system with more than three capable drivers could. It's potentially a lot better of course.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An HT based on those with some smaller Genelec speakers for height, one of the better measuring Denon with Auro upmixing ( X-3700?). Such a sanely priced system, could be the gateway toward the discovery of MCH Audio too.. A move I am carefully considering.
Some audiophiles conditioning are still ingrained however, I prefer bigger, speakers in general.
I keep on asking: Even with good subs suitably DSP/EQed, say a trio of Rythmik or SVS to name those 2 brands, Can these Genelec, fool one, into thinking you are listening to a "big" speaker system? I welcome subjective answers to these questions.

By spec the 8030C maxes out at 104dB@1m from 100hz to 3khz. To me that is not enough headroom for L/C/R in a home theatre setup, especially at 2 or 3m, but it might be enough for some. I don't think any number of subwoofers is going to make you believe a 2-way with a 5" woofer sounds like a full range floorstander with multiple larger drivers though. The range from 100hz - 500hz is very important and has a lot of high SPL content in it. And these speakers won't be able to keep up in that range.

I'm personally going with 8351Bs but I think 8350A are in the same ballpark(of output). I realize those are way more expensive and not really a solution for someone who is budgeting under $1K/channel for speaker+amp. Of course we have a thread about solutions to this problem.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit OT , I will be brief.

The above posts from @wsmisth, @¥€$, @Sancus, and others match my experience with smaller speakers ... even active.
I do not have any doubt that Genelec's subwoofers are good and their software too but the price of an all Genelec system is rather severe...
It remains that the 8030C is a fine, loudspeaker.

radio3

By spec the 8030C maxes out at 104dB@1m from 100hz to 3khz. To me that is not enough headroom for L/C/R in a home theatre setup, especially at 2 or 3m, but it might be enough for some. I don't think any number of subwoofers is going to make you believe a 2-way with a 5" woofer sounds like a full range floorstander with multiple larger drivers though. The range from 100hz - 500hz is very important and has a lot of high SPL content in it. And these speakers won't be able to keep up in that range.

I'm personally going with 8351Bs but I think 8350A are in the same ballpark(of output). I realize those are way more expensive and not really a solution for someone who is budgeting under $1K/channel for speaker+amp. Of course we have a thread about solutions to this problem.

Is the 8350A the same as the 8050B only,with room correction and slightly more powerful amplifiers? The price difference between the 83xx models and 80xx models is quite large. I wonder how useful SAM is if you already have a room correction such as Dirac via something like a MiniDSP device.

¥€$

A bit OT , I will be brief.

The above posts from @wsmisth, @¥€$, @Sancus, and others match my experience with smaller speakers ... even active.
I do not have any doubt that Genelec's subwoofers are good and their software too but the price of an all Genelec system is rather severe...
It remains that the 8030C is a fine, loudspeaker.

"Lifelike" reproduction of music tends to require a multitude of large drivers, unfortunately. I'd guess that three drivers per speaker is an absolute minimum.

Is the 8350A the same as the 8050B only,with room correction and slightly more powerful amplifiers? The price difference between the 83xx models and 80xx models is quite large. I wonder how useful SAM is if you already have a room correction such as Dirac via something like a MiniDSP device.

Their sound is probably closer to the 80xx series than "the ones", 83x1's.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I dunno what drivers are used, afaik Genelec doesn't disclose that, but the 8350A is smoother/flatter on and off axis and has more power as you stated. The price difference is generally 15-20% between the lower end 80x0 models and the 83x0 which I don't consider to be all that much really.

That said I haven't done much research on what is available around the 8350A/8050B price point so there may be better stuff out there from other manufacturers.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

A bit late to the (Genelec) party. I have read several posts on this thread and , of course, Amir's review. This is one amazing speaker. In the scheme of things audiophile and arguably consumer, the price is more than decent, for an accurate, nearly full range speaker system.

Important factors for me (And I am sure others):
There are not many Audio dealers for the gears I consider. I usually buy in the USA andd have them forwarded to me.
I don't have the luxury of auditioning, before committing,
Returning if not pleased, is not an option, regardless of the manufacturers policies, because it takes from 2 weeks to 3 months between purchasing and having the components in my possession...
COVID-19
My moves, then, have to be carefully researched, thus the numerous questions, pondering and thought experiments..
Sorry ...and Thanks in advance :)

P.S. The value proposition is important.. The level of accuracy brought in by the gears we are discussing is tremendous. We must keep this in perspective when considering total system cost . $10,000 is what many pay for a set of cables ... Some of these High End aficionados are sincerely and actively trying to achieve accurate reproduction in their home or HT.

What's your listening distance and room size?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is going in the wrong direction; sorry if it was my doing. I didn't like them in the living room after a 5 min listen; lets not blow this out of proportion. They sound pretty good on my computer desktop. Slightly bright but nothing major. I plan on keeping them for now - they are just the perfect size too:

View attachment 80405
Sorry, a bit late, but you have to put the Gennies on stands, for 2 reasons: the tweeter should be ear's height; and it prevents boomy upper base and wiggly FR in the mids. Don't know whether the 8030C has a microphone stand compatible screw hole like my 8020A; if it has I suggest a table mic stand from König&Meyer.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
König & Meyer 23310 rebranded by Genelec: https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8000-406-short-table-stand

I plan on getting a pair of 23310 from Thomann :)
I use these, they're 200% more rad:
14057_8000-323B_8331_horizontal_2.png

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, a bit late, but you have to put the Gennies on stands, for 2 reasons: the tweeter should be ear's height; and it prevents boomy upper base and wiggly FR in the mids. Don't know whether the 8030C has a microphone stand compatible screw hole like my 8020A; if it has I suggest a table mic stand from König&Meyer.

Thanks. They are on the isopod rubbery stands they come with and slightly tilted up. With the Desktop setting and treble tilt, they sound great and look great, so I don't plan on changing anything for now.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. They are on the isopod rubbery stands they come with and slightly tilted up. With the Desktop setting and treble tilt, they sound great and look great, so I don't plan on changing anything for now.
Anyway, just pile enough books to get them about 25 cm higher and have a listen. Then decide.

¥€$

Anyway, just pile enough books to get them about 25 cm higher and have a listen. Then decide.

Yes, he definitely should test them both ways. The room reflections will be quite different between the orientations.

Top Bottom