• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Cigibroke

Sound volume in computers is regulated by software, and there are a lot of programs that control de volume, so it's quite easy, in my experience, that some program changes the volume and you don't realize it. Or you simply set the volume at 100% for some application and then play music using another program and discover 100% it's way too loud for that application due to amplification or different sensitivities along the signal path or whatever. When playing audio from a computer, I never use the analog output, always digital at 100% and then attenuate externally. It's just my experience, others may be fine connecting the computer output directly the amp/speakers input. I don't, it's too risky and time consuming.
Thanks for your explanations.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It depends on the recording, but usually I don’t pay attention to key stops sounds. For the pedaling yes, I can hear it on some recordings, Vikingur Olafsson is a pianist whose recordings are made with microphones very close to the piano or even inside. I remember also some jazz recordings with audible mechanical sounds.
But the majority of the tracks I listen recently are piano concertos, so the orchestra is superposed to the piano and also the microphones use to be places at some distance of the ensemble, impossible to my ears to detect those details.

Been keeping an eye out for a track with the key hitting the stops to share with you, to see if the Genelec's do that detail well. Granted it's a very minor detail that is irrelevant for a large majority of music, it's just a measure I go by as some speakers that particular detail is lost or not so clear, lol, it's kind of one of my strange requirements in a speaker.

Granted, this isn't really an attribute in all piano when played delicately, but this track should be a good test for you to see what I'm referring to if the 8030C's indeed presents such.

Top Bottom