• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi guys,

Did you hear about SiCFETs ? They claim to be better than GaNFETs

"Launched in 2020 the Singularity 3 Class D modules use the newest technology, and are among the best sounding amplifiers in the world. Even in competition with Class A amplifiers. This is leading edge technology. The switching devices in other Class D modules are regular MOSFET's but we use SiCFET's instead, which are about 10 times faster, giving better resolution in the top region, and less switching noise. Due to the latest enhancements in SiCFET technology, these are even significantly faster than the competing GAnFET technolgy in this power class. This may change as technology progresses though."

si3pic1med.jpg

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you hear about SiCFETs ? They claim to be better than GaNFETs
I think you are missing the real potential of these new devices: As Amir noted in his test of the GaN Systems amplifier eval board:

"Those transistors do not bring much to the plate here in audio amplifiers where voltages are below 100 volts. This focus on lower voltage GaN transistors allows these to have the efficiencies I explained above."

However, the manufacturer claims 10% improvement in energy efficiency versus existing Class D amplification combined with 50% reduction in thermal loss: That's significant! Thank you electric vehicle and renewable-energy industries for driving the development of these new types of devices. It seems that the designers of your amplifier did not fully anticipate such minimal heatsink requirements.

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboin could you remove one of the heat sinks and take a photo?

Hi, I did my best to zoom inside :

Moosi

Those heatsinks do nothing. If these tiny ICs would emit more heat than the flow of air could take away, they would be required by their manufacturer to be cooled in the first place, hence would have heatsinks directly applied to their surface. Can two small piece of metal hovering in the center possibly cool down the entire case to a noteable degree (if a heating up case was an issue here, which it isn't)? No way. If you take them out, put them in the freezer for a day and reinstall them, yes. But only for a while.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Those heatsinks do nothing. If these tiny ICs would emit more heat than the flow of air could take away, they would be required by their manufacturer to be cooled in the first place, hence would have heatsinks directly applied to their surface. Can two small piece of metal hovering in the center possibly cool down the entire case to a noteable degree (if a heating up case was an issue here, which it isn't)? No way. If you take them out, put them in the freezer for a day and reinstall them, yes. But only for a while.

Feel free to report this to the manufacturer )
The main purpose is to debate about how it sounds but not the design issue....

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Completely meaningless without measurements and/or controlled pure-listening tests aka ABX.

Eternal dissatisfied) The shared measurements are @ Page 1... by the Manufacturer
I have a lot of trouble understanding one thing .... I shared my impressions for the Sabaj A20a exactly the same way I did for this Mini Gan ... with exactly the same crtitics) But like the Sabaj is only worth $ 200 so lots of people bought it....

And in the end, everyone is unanimous! it sounds monstrously good ....You can watch on Diyaudio the success he had and that without measures! People just put this argument aside and they are left to convince : So much so that the reviews are almost all super positive)
the moral of this story: I must not have such disgusting ears despite my 43 years)

I am very attached to measurements but I leave room for my instinct sometimes ... I have a risk-taker side and everyone here knows me for this. amigo )

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Is this product UL certified? If it is than those heat sinks are worthless. UL testing usually runs things way above any normal operating temps, and the product has to take it in stride. Unless UL has changed its requirements. In the future they should leave the heatsinks out and save the money. Use more white cementing compound on the inductors, it will anchor them with no problem. Either way, the heat sinks have nothing to do with the sound performance. Everyone knit picking it are just bored. Like me! :)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Manufacturers are not impartial third parties. Manufacturer's measurements are therefore not to be believed. Kinda like subjective listening impressions.

You say you shared impressions before, and received criticisms. Yet you persist in your errant ways. Why? Jim

I respect any opinion that's kind of the reason why I exposed this thread) But the somewhat peremptory opinions bother me ... But my respects)
Fortunately there are still some nice people)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eternal dissatisfied) The shared measurements are @ Page 1... by the Manufacturer
I am very attached to measurements but I leave room for my instinct sometimes ... I have a risk-taker side and everyone here knows me for this. amigo )
I'm afraid that page 1 is simply your subjective review, combined with some numbers copied from the manufacturer's web sites. Everyone has instincts, but these can be very unreliable "test instruments".

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I'm afraid that page 1 is simply your subjective review, combined with some numbers copied from the manufacturer's web sites. Everyone has instincts, but these can be very unreliable "test instruments".

Absolutely note ) This measures have been shared by the Manufacturer himself. I am not a liar
Moreover to account for my neutrality, I even copied and pasted the respective email responses of "ClassDaudio" and "Premium Audio" a few lines before regarding the "flying heatsink" ...but since you only read between the lines ... you probably missed the information

B&WTube

Regarding manufacturer's measurements: re-read post #112.
As for your "neutrality": there are no signs in your posts that indicate you comprehend what neutrality is.

Of course, it's possible that you're being deliberately misleading.
Daniboun seems to have more in person experience with the latest crop of Class D amps than anyone I have seen on this forum. There may be someone else who has more experience, but if there is- I haven't seen them contribute as much on the topic, as Dani. There is continued exploration, money spending, and sharing with the community to best of his ability. Subjective observations still have value (especially from someone with extensive hands on experience), even if it is not up to the standards you would prefer.

Criticizing someone who is striving for something AND trying to add value for others, should probably have a constructive element. Reasonably polite or affable is a nice touch, too. Otherwise, its just not gonna be a good look.

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Daniboun seems to have more in person experience with the latest crop of Class D amps than anyone I have seen on this forum. There may be someone else who has more experience, but if there is- I haven't seen them contribute as much on the topic, as Dani. There is continued exploration, money spending, and sharing with the community to best of his ability. Subjective observations still have value (especially from someone with extensive hands on experience), even if it is not up to the standards you would prefer.

Criticizing someone who is striving for something AND trying to add value for others, should probably have a constructive element. Reasonably polite or affable is a nice touch, too. Otherwise, its just not gonna be a good look.

I really appreciate this answer and I will continue to share my discoveries ) Thanks a lot.

Believe me ... if I was equipped like Amir, it goes without saying that I would have taken more concrete measures, in the meantime, I try to trust those who manufacture. And if I find that an amp is good, I don't hesitate to say it)

My credibility is essentially based on my pragmatism, I just invite you to browse a few Diyaudio pages and see the number of class D amplifiers that I have assembled and tested ....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There is continued exploration, money spending, and sharing with the community to best of his ability. Subjective observations still have value (especially from someone with extensive hands on experience), even if it is not up to the standards you would prefer.

Here's the fix...

Put some controls on those subjective observations so they DO have value. Otherwise, they really don't.

Moosi

I wouldn't overly trust a subjective review if it comes to finding out the differences between two or more top-tier amplifiers, since those are pretty much all so good down to levels you won't even notice anymore (especially DACs). But I certainly can trust upon an experienced, but subjective opinion when it comes to entry class or budget to mid-class amps, for those differences are quite big in a lot of cases. Even Amir claims to be able to hear right away if a system sounds good/measures good, before he measures it. There is some value in Amirs ears, as there is value in Amirs measures. Strip good ole Amir from all his audioprecision devices and guess what, I would still give a damn lot about his opinion.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Hi amigos

Got the answer about the heatsinks... Here what has been said by Premium Audio :

"The inductors were changed because as most know, there is a world-wide chip and parts shortage. The original coils we used were back ordered for months. These toroids have the exact same performance as the others we used. We did just got a few thousand pieces in (that were ordered for months). The toroids actually run a little cooler and performance is exactly the same. As for the as you called it flying heatsinks, we originally had them mounted on the FETs with thermal pads and other, but found the amp actually runs a little cooler like this. The heatsink raised like this draws some heat from the PCB and the FETs can run at rated power without heatsink. "

If the new toroids run cooler then the performance is not the same. Period. W.r.t. the heatsink claim. They are either lying or ignorant.

Top Bottom