• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

sonicnoob

Your room is not large, and your speakers are pretty senstive, so you don't need massive amounts of power. Regardless of how "poor" avrs typically measure, their faults will (in most circumstances) probably not be audible.

So you need to have a hard think about whether changing your amp is actually going to deliver any significant audible improvement (if that is what you are looking for with a new amp)

I went through this exact same process two years ago (just as I was starting to read here). I had gone as far as auditioning an amp at home convincing myself I'd heard an improvement (I wanted the shiney), and placing an order.

As a result of what I read here, I listened again with a more impartial frame of mind - and cancelled the order. I'm still using the AVR, and it sounds great - especially with the MiniDSP Flex/Dirac I purchased instead of the amp - which has made a far bigger improvement to the sound than any amp ever could.

acutally you're right, the more I read in here, the more I'm slowing myself down in my decision making!
Am I right to make the generalization that the order of priority to good music experience (highest to lowest) is:
1. good speakers (I have an effectively 4-way bookshelf speakers with my setup)
2. speakers setup in relation to room. Well my room is physicall 12x12 foot and speakers are placed 8ft apart against the wall. Nothing much I can do here, it is what it is
3. amplifiers. I have an old Onkyo AVR (7.1 surround), and the Klipsch iFi sound system (which has the 8" sub).
4. audio cables

So I think you're right, I'll re-evaluate. Honestly, my current sound setup is sweet for under $1200. Ultimate poor man's sound system, 2 4-way speakers, plus an 8" and 10" subs working together, hehe hehe, I can play music at low volume and still get bass fullness!

On a sidenote: i've watched the GR-Research guy Danny on his youtube channel claiming that his special crossovers for speakers will make most speakers sound better, but I have my doubt, besides his crossovers are like $400, damn. Reminds of Monster cable claming this about their cables decades ago.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
acutally you're right, the more I read in here, the more I'm slowing myself down in my decision making!
Am I right to make the generalization that the order of priority to good music experience (highest to lowest) is:
2. speakers setup in relation to room. Well my room is physicall 12x12 foot and speakers are placed 8ft apart against the wall. Nothing much I can do here, it is what it is
3. amplifiers. I have an old Onkyo AVR (7.1 surround), and the Klipsch iFi sound system (which has the 8" sub).
4. audio cables

So I think you're right, I'll re-evaluate. Honestly, my current sound setup is sweet for under $1200. Ultimate poor man's sound system, 2 4-way speakers, plus an 8" and 10" subs working together, hehe hehe, I can play music at low volume and still get bass fullness!

On a sidenote: i've watched the GR-Research guy Danny on his youtube channel claiming that his special crossovers for speakers will make most speakers sound better, but I have my doubt, besides his crossovers are like $400, damn. Reminds of Monster cable claming this about their cables decades ago.
Pretty much - with the following adjustments:

Cross 4 off altogether. You don't need to spend any more on interconnect than is required for basic mechanical robustness - balanced interconnect on analogue connections if possible - and, for speaker cables, suficient cross sectional area/ guage. That is it.

Renumber 3 as 5. You can add a 6 for Dacs if you like.

Then 3 = Room treatment. (or add it on as a part of speaker setup in relation to room)
and 4 = room measurement and equalisation.

DonR

Major Contributor
Pretty much - with the following adjustments:

Cross 4 off altogether. You don't need to spend any more on interconnect than is required for basic mechanical robustness - balanced interconnect on analogue connections if possible - and, for speaker cables, suficient cross sectional area/ guage. That is it.

Renumber 3 as 5. You can add a 6 for Dacs if you like.

Then 3 = Room treatment. (or add it on as a part of speaker setup in relation to room)
and 4 = room measurement and equalisation.
The 4 sources of music enjoyment.

1) The source material
2) The listener
3) The room
4) The hi-fi

sonicnoob

@tonycollinet & @DonR , & et al
thanks folks for giving me some great advice and levelling my head! Time for me to take a deep beath, step back, and enjoy the music, and learn as i go along.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
4. audio cables

Yes. Between 3 and the “rest” there are several orders of magnitude. So spent your money on 1 to 3.

Top Bottom