• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full size preamplifier options with or without DAC

• Thread starter Deleted member 48726
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48726

Hi

I'm missing the analogue feel of a volume knob.
I'm looking for a full size preamp to put on top of my power amp. I'm not interested in the small form factor ones. The only one I've come across that seem to match what I want is the Schiit Freya S. It would ideally be cheaper than this as well. ~700 USD / EUR

1695043233562.png

It may or may not have a DAC as It's just a matter of placement in my setup.
Aluminium or black finish.

I'm willing to pay up to one like for good suggestions. :)

zeropoint

It used to be highly regarded, and still is despite an apparent slight relaxation of standards in some areas, although I have no personal experience, just opinion gleaned from observation over the years.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

It used to be highly regarded, and still is despite an apparent slight relaxation of standards in some areas, although I have no personal experience, just opinion gleaned from observation over the years.
Thanks. Price on the BasX PT1 amounts to the same as I can buy the Schiit Freya S for and the tuner, bluetooth and DAC isn't needed anyway. Taking into account that the design looks cheap to me with the blue lights I think this is not for me.

AaronJ

Volume knob feel on the Freya S isn’t good. It’s too small, and the Freya is really meant to be used with the (awful) remote. The bang for buck on it is excellent but it significantly lacks in tactile feel and styling in my opinion.

Have you considered getting a used integrated you enjoy the look of and just using it as a preamp?

radix

Major Contributor
Would you consider used/vintage? There's a lot of yamana, SAE, sansui, etc., out there. You could also find a receiver (tuner + preamp).

New, there's the Yamaha wxc-50 (open box for $390, new $450), in addition to what was mentioned above.

I think component preamps are kind of rare nowadays, so they tend to be expensive component systems. There's a ton used, you just need to narrow down brands/models to something with decent sinad/thd and the I/O you want, and the looks of course.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The hypex kit ?

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Volume knob feel on the Freya S isn’t good. It’s too small, and the Freya is really meant to be used with the (awful) remote. The bang for buck on it is excellent but it significantly lacks in tactile feel and styling in my opinion.

Have you considered getting a used integrated you enjoy the look of and just using it as a preamp?
Thank you for that. You could potentially saved my from disappointment. I assumed it was turned aluminium as well as the fascia plate. Very disappointed if it's not the same silky feel than my Yamaha A-S1000. Do you have a Freya S or used one in the past?

I don't want to have an integrated amplifier just standing there wasting it's potential. It's not the power consumption but rather the idea that it's wasted efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Would you consider used/vintage? There's a lot of yamana, SAE, sansui, etc., out there. You could also find a receiver (tuner + preamp).

New, there's the Yamaha wxc-50 (open box for $390, new $450), in addition to what was mentioned above.

I think component preamps are kind of rare nowadays, so they tend to be expensive component systems. There's a ton used, you just need to narrow down brands/models to something with decent sinad/thd and the I/O you want, and the looks of course.
Absolutely. I'm open for the right one regardless if it's vintage, used or new. I have a Yamaha CX-50 but think it looks too plasticky square and the feel of the buttons isn't the best.

I just need a single pair of inputs and a singe pair of outputs (RCA)

The Yamaha WCX-50 is small form factor. -No go.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

The hypex kit ?

Waay over my budget for a preamp :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 48726

There is a Cambridge CXN-V2 for sale used where I live for what amounts to 720 USD.
Is this a great product?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Waay over my budget for a preamp :)
Maybe you don’t need the balanced feature it literally more than doubles the price ?

Imho high end “took care” of cheap preamp they don’t seem to exist anymore and also all preamp features are removed too only leaving the input selector and volume knob . The hypex thing is cheap compared to the typical boutique pre amp of similar features.

Headphone amp that also moonlighting as a preamp these seems common , but then there is often only one input ( removing yet another feature ) and they are not full size, which tells a bit of what part is the most expensive.

I subscribe to your tread I also want to know if they are any reasonable preamps anymore

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for that. You could potentially saved my from disappointment. I assumed it was turned aluminium as well as the fascia plate. Very disappointed if it's not the same silky feel than my Yamaha A-S1000. Do you have a Freya S or used one in the past?

I don't want to have an integrated amplifier just standing there wasting it's potential. It's not the power consumption but rather the idea that it's wasted efforts.

The Schiit Freya uses stepped resistor so turning the volume knob leads to a very loud clickity/clack. Every change of volume involved a loud audible click of a relay.

Remote is small, not pleasant, but very functional. It’s very much a sound quality first, build and finish second product.

If you want a premium feel, that’s not Schiit. That’s your Yamaha C-5000. It’s hard to match the fit and finish of a mass market premium integrated such as the PMA-A110, Marantz PM-KI Ruby, or Yamaha hifi line. They have economies of scale that the smaller companies cannot match. It’s also telling that none of them, save for Yamaha, have a 2ch preamp in the lineup anymore.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

The Schiit Freya uses stepped resistor so turning the volume knob leads to a very loud clickity/clack. Every change of volume involved a loud audible click of a relay.

Remote is small, not pleasant, but very functional. It’s very much a sound quality first, build and finish second product.

If you want a premium feel, that’s not Schiit. That’s your Yamaha C-5000. It’s hard to match the fit and finish of a mass market premium integrated such as the PMA-A110, Marantz PM-KI Ruby, or Yamaha hifi line. They have economies of scale that the smaller companies cannot match. It’s also telling that none of them, save for Yamaha, have a 2ch preamp in the lineup anymore.
Yeah, I figured. I've actually sat down and searched before posting and what I found (besides used) is disappointing. I might end up using my Yamaha A-S1000 as a preamp after all..;)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I figured. I've actually sat down and searched before posting and what I found (besides used) is disappointing. I might end up using my Yamaha A-S1000 as a preamp after all..;)
It’s a nice preamp, but it’s almost impossible to avoid ground loops with SE equipment. The ground loop may not be audible but it’s certainly measurable.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
we're probably going to have to rely on fosi... or heaven forbid, Topping Professional

like some of you guys I too think there's a market for say a 1 ru 19" wide line stage preamp with vol. knob and remote... and thats it

you guy might like tone loud and maybe headphone... or even bluetooth (yuck)

but this market is tiny

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I personally think there is money to be made by more offerings for a new full size preamp, both regular RCA type and balanced type. I am still using my vintage NAD 1020 and Nikko Beta 20 for these purposes, as they have everything I need, including pretty good phono stages.

The offerings are so slim in the under-$1000 category, it's good that Schiit is making a product...

Top Bottom