• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full size preamplifier options with or without DAC

• Thread starter Deleted member 48726
  • Start date

radix

Major Contributor
Maybe this thread would be of interest

radix

Major Contributor

AaronJ

Thank you for that. You could potentially saved my from disappointment. I assumed it was turned aluminium as well as the fascia plate. Very disappointed if it's not the same silky feel than my Yamaha A-S1000. Do you have a Freya S or used one in the past?

I don't want to have an integrated amplifier just standing there wasting it's potential. It's not the power consumption but rather the idea that it's wasted efforts.
I had a Freya S and had no complaints about performance. The materials are fine, and so is the potentiometer itself. The knob is small and as a result doesn't feel silky smooth and lacks granularity. The relay clicking is pretty loud and distracting when standing next to the preamp (not so bad from a distance using the remote). Can't even tell if the volume changed when making slight adjustments because of the distraction.

I also very much disliked the indicators on the front and can't understand the fascination with obfuscation. I found having to cycle sequentially through 5 inputs from input 2 to input 1 to be annoying. Not to mention the BS of having the power switch in the back.

From a features standpoint the value exceptional, but the user experience leaves a lot to be desired. I highly recommend it as a valuable system component, but definitely do not for your case since you've stated that analog knob feel is important.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

I had a Freya S and had no complaints about performance. The materials are fine, and so is the potentiometer itself. The knob is small and as a result doesn't feel silky smooth and lacks granularity. The relay clicking is pretty loud and distracting when standing next to the preamp (not so bad from a distance using the remote). Can't even tell if the volume changed when making slight adjustments because of the distraction.

I also very much disliked the indicators on the front and can't understand the fascination with obfuscation. I found having to cycle sequentially through 5 inputs from input 2 to input 1 to be annoying. Not to mention the BS of having the power switch in the back.

From a features standpoint the value exceptional, but the user experience leaves a lot to be desired. I highly recommend it as a valuable system component, but definitely do not for your case since you've stated that analog knob feel is important.
Thank you for taking your time to describe your experience. I have crossed the Freya S from my extremely short list of choices..

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I will say, I love the volume attenuation knob on my Nikko Beta 20. It's stepped, but very quiet. The Nikko preamps were built very well and used high quality components but at a value price. The Beta 20, alas, does not have a headphone jack, that's my only quibble. They are not as well known as other older stereo preamps, and usually can be found for a lot less money.

HoweSound

I have the Freya S in silver, paired with a Hypex Nilai 500 stereo power amp. I considered the Topping Pre 90, but chose the Freya S for the form factor. The volume knob has a stepped attenuator, nothing wrong with it, although the steps could be finer. I use the remote almost exclusively to change the volume setting. It is dead quiet as a front-end to my amp. I have seen nothing else in the price range that I would consider in its place (except the new Schiit Kara). My only complaints - no on/off switch on the front panel, no on/off via remote. and no trigger function; none of these are deal breakers for me.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

I will say, I love the volume attenuation knob on my Nikko Beta 20. It's stepped, but very quiet. The Nikko preamps were built very well and used high quality components but at a value price. The Beta 20, alas, does not have a headphone jack, that's my only quibble. They are not as well known as other older stereo preamps, and usually can be found for a lot less money.
Yeah, there's a Nikko Beta 20 + an Alpha III amp for sale for around 300 USD locally. Could be an option.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Update:

I went and bought, drum roll, a Densen DM-20.

This is a high end preamp from 1996. Dual mono with more capacitors than a 120 W amp. Quality components all round. Case in bent aluminium, large (!) knobs in solid metal.
A high quality product no doubt. Beautiful inside out.

As much as I love the feel, build and design of the Densen I realised during the first 20 min. of use that this was a huge leap backwards in convenience. I had been made a victim of nostalgia.

The outcome of this is that I've gone back to controlling the volume from whatever "smart device" I'm casting from. Nothing beats this kind of convenience. Not even nostalgic memories..

But I want to share with you a few pictures of this gem of a preamp-->

IMG_5086.jpg
IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5076.jpg

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agree with vintage and value, but for new, please investigate the Topping pre90!!!

Best wishes, so many choices.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Agree with vintage and value, but for new, please investigate the Topping pre90!!!

Best wishes, so many choices.
It's firstly not full size, secondly it doesn't have a quality metal knob. And lastly I'd rather support western manufacturers if I were to buy a new product. Which I'm not as I found out I don't want a preamp after all.

radix

Major Contributor
Update:

I went and bought, drum roll, a Densen DM-20.

This is a high end preamp from 1996. Dual mono with more capacitors than a 120 W amp. Quality components all round. Case in bent aluminium, large (!) knobs in solid metal.

As much as I love the feel, build and design of the Densen I realised during the first 20 min. of use that this was a huge leap backwards in convenience. I had been made a victim of nostalgia.

The outcome of this is that I've gone back to controlling the volume from whatever "smart device" I'm casting from. Nothing beats this kind of convenience. Not even nostalgic memories..

But I want to share with you a few pictures of this gem of a preamp-->

There are some nice vintage preamps with a remote (not sure of the particulars of the volume control, might be electronic not mechanical). I have a vintage McIntosh stack that has no remote, but it's a small room and we use the knob. In the living room, I have a modern preamp with full remote support. I prefer remotes to doing it in-app. It's just a lot easier than futzing with unlocking the phone and finding the app all the time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems strange to add a pre-amp to an integrated amp....the volume knob on the yamaha is lacking somehow?

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

There are some nice vintage preamps with a remote (not sure of the particulars of the volume control, might be electronic not mechanical). I have a vintage McIntosh stack that has no remote, but it's a small room and we use the knob. In the living room, I have a modern preamp with full remote support. I prefer remotes to doing it in-app. It's just a lot easier than futzing with unlocking the phone and finding the app all the time.
I / we use Spotify. You can control the casting volume directly on the volume buttons on the side of the phone / tablet so no need to even take it out of the pocket to adjust volume.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Seems strange to add a pre-amp to an integrated amp....the volume knob on the yamaha is lacking somehow?
I don't use an integrated. I just have plenty of unused gear so I contemplated whether I should use it as a preamp or not.

My setup consists of Chromecast Audio, DDRC24 and a Yamaha P7000S.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use an integrated. I just have plenty of unused gear so I contemplated whether I should use it as a preamp or not.

My setup consists of Chromecast Audio, DDRC24 and a Yamaha P7000S.
Misread the comment about your Yamaha integrated....thought that was your amp. But if it has the silky feel and it's just sitting around....

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Misread the comment about your Yamaha integrated....thought that was your amp. But if it has the silky feel and it's just sitting around....
Yeah. Mr. Chris, if you don't mind, read the whole thread. At least the update I did yesterday..;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. Mr. Chris, if you don't mind, read the whole thread. At least the update I did yesterday..;)
You mean re-read? I did read from the start the other day... ;) Personally I like remotes rather than walking across the room....

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of my old PS Audio 6.2 pre amp (from the early 90's) with the big elongated front knobs. Sold it here on ASR at the beginning of of Covid.

PS Audio 6.2 Pre Amp.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Reminds me of my old PS Audio 6.2 pre amp (from the early 90's) with the big elongated front knobs. Sold it here on ASR at the beginning of of Covid.

View attachment 314303
PS Audio makes quality gear. They should just stay out of the snake oil business.. Their DAC (the silver one) sell 10 minutes after being put up on the used market.

I've not seen this description before. Usually it's Direct or Pure Direct.

1695530952549.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio makes quality gear. They should just stay out of the snake oil business.. Their DAC (the silver one) sell 10 minutes after being put up on the used market.

I've not seen this description before. Usually it's Direct or Pure Direct.

View attachment 314305
How do you equate quality (assuming value as well) with their snake oil aspects?

Top Bottom