• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

From a quality point of view, does it make sense to DIY loudspeakers?

SnoopKatt

Thanks. When did you purchase? Seems they've been out of stock for a few months now with no predicted re-stock date.
Placed an order in early October, received late November. It seems like ordering just gets you in the queue. I almost canceled my order because I thought they were discontinued, but I'm happy I held out.

H-713

Looks interesting. I have no experience with the Morel woofers. The CAT308 tweeter is a lot like the old MDT30 tweeter, which (for what it is) is a nice and well-behaved driver.

Jeff Bagby was an amazing designer, so I have no doubt that the design would have been well-executed.

SnoopKatt

Looks interesting. I have no experience with the Morel woofers. The CAT308 tweeter is a lot like the old MDT30 tweeter, which (for what it is) is a nice and well-behaved driver.

Jeff Bagby was an amazing designer, so I have no doubt that the design would have been well-executed.
Heard nothing but great things about Jeff. It was very sad when he passed. Wish I would've gotten to meet him at least once.

Should have the measurements tomorrow... wife got off work early and doesn't like to hear frequency sweeps!

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I think open baffle are the easiest when it comes to DIY speakers - this is from personal experience. Easy does not mean you will save money. On the other hand you may come up with something quite satisfying. I enjoyed mine for 8 years until I lucked into a more satisfying commercial option.

bb8

I think DIY can be worth it if you pick the right design. There are a lot more options with flatpacks and driver kits. It can be a fun project if like me most of the time you're sitting/standing at a desk working in front of a computer and want something totally different to do. If you're smart about your finish, you can do a decent job and it will look good. I will say in my humble opinion, I have heard all kinds of ridiculous systems as I have been able to attend RMAF every year for the last 10 years. Linkwitz designs are truly special, especially the LX521, and can really compete with the mega expensive systems. If you have the cash and want end game speakers, those could be it. I know they have sort of a polarizing look to them, but the really do tap into something special. The first system that got me hooked on audiophile sound was an Infinity IRS system (don't remember the exact system). Huge soundstage, scary dynamics. You feel like you're in the room with the musicians. The Linkwitz are better than many multi 100k systems I have heard. I think they can be built for under $5k, so yeah that can be worth it. Just one persons humble opinion though.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Exactly - which is why I stated this immediately before. Don't know how Dennis and his partner make money on the finished but it's great that they do

expand...
Yes but you're saving a few hundred dollars only if you already own the tools to finish them
The BMR kit is something of an odd duck. I arranged for it at a time when I didn't think I would be able to offer a finished version again. Now that I've been able to arrange for continued production, the kit really only makes sense for people who want to build custom cabinets and don't want to pay Jim Salk to do that.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
What about 3d specials printed cabinet?
Better formas and the 3d printer and materials are not that expensive..

tinnitus

What about 3d specials printed cabinet?
Better formas and the 3d printer and materials are not that expensive..

That was my 3d printetd speakers
img_0791copyfjumn.jpg

but it was not fine. The print is to flexible. Still with sand filled it was bad.
And 3D printing takes time. This print is about 130h.

Now i am printiing the positive mold for the concrete housing.
b8jrb.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I think a 3d-printed baffle that overshoots the rest of the cabinet is an attractive idea since the shape of that part of the speaker changes the sound so much.

Ixnay

I can understand that it is fun and that you can save money when you built your own loudspeakers.
But looking at the resources and knowledge that companies like JBL, Revel, Focal and many others have and use to design their products I wonder if the quality of a diy loudspeaker can even come close to the quality that these companies deliver with their products?

Best regards, Marc

Hello there. I'm new here. First post.

My home-made speakers are the first speakers that I'm totally satisfied with and I've been at this since ca 1970.

I've never had rich people speakers but I've had a lot of hi-fi landmarks.

The thing is that if you follow a design from someone you just might as well buy something. But if you've heard this and that and you pretty much know what you like and you pretty much know how to get there, you'll build yourself a pair of speakers that you'll love.

And I ain't really that smart.

Big manufacturers make speakers to make their sales departments happy and their slide rules happy. For the most part, I've never been totally pleased with commercial speakers.

Ix

puppet

I think all speakers, even commercial, are at some point DIY. Customers seem to buy more with their eyes than ears. A successful loudspeaker is usually produced by an individual that can wear many hats. Sans that, one that has the talent on board that can pull this off.

For the truly passionate, the components can be TOTL. Something that a larger fabricator may decide isn't in the best interest of the bottom line. Larger fabricators have additional pressures that often aren't a overriding concern for the little guys .. and that's OK, too. We all have to eat.

If it's just a hobby, enjoy it. Anything that keeps the brain moving is good, as long as you don't forget to feed the dog :)

Top Bottom