• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 94 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 350 75.9%

• Total voters

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do people usually use monoblocks with a pre-amps of some sort where they actually adjust volume?

I imagine people usually set both monoblock amps at top volume, and then actually adjust the volume via a remote control streamer/pre-amp? Or how do you make sure volume is equalized on both channels?

Thanks, sorry for the dumb question.

A pre-amp, DAC with Volume Control, AVR (pre-outs) or even source can be used to control volume in case of any power amplifiers (monoblock or stereo) with or without volume control (you can set the volume knob to max and leave, if the amp has one).

SMen

Do people usually use monoblocks with a pre-amps of some sort where they actually adjust volume?

I imagine people usually set both monoblock amps at top volume, and then actually adjust the volume via a remote control streamer/pre-amp? Or how do you make sure volume is equalized on both channels?

The monoblocks are 'equalized' at whatever the gain is, and then you attach your preamplifier (or dac or streamer) with a volume control to the monoblocks with either two rca cables or two xlr cables for each channel ... one connector lead goes to one monoblock (e.g. left) and the other goes to the other monoblock (e.g. right).

You might be confusing these with another Fosi amp which could be stereo or doubled up and made mono ... in this example they have volume controls and you would need to set these ones to maximum to equalize. The ZA3 here is the one you might be thinking of https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fosi-audio-za3-amplifier-review.52139/

usern

Search interface in Audio Electronics here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/

Not much different than using active studio monitors with audio interface.

Is there any multichannel movie audio processor preamp people use with monoblocks?

ViperDom

how do you make sure volume is equalized on both channels?

MiniDSP here.
It controls the level of all outputs(speakers/subs) independently as well as master volume.

I imagine people usually set both monoblock amps at top volume, and then actually adjust the volume via a remote control streamer/pre-amp?

If an amp has a volume control then i would call it an integrated amp or receiver.
In this case i would not set its vol to max.
50-80% can be sufficient with consideration for overall gain structure & equipment protection.
I am no expert on this, just what ive found works in my listening rooms.

Last edited:

Sound_Designer

@amirm, hello! Which of the two amplifiers (Fosi Audio V3 Mono VS 3e Audio TPA3255 480-1-29A) will have better resolution, detail, tonal balance and less distortion?

I choose for full work with studio monitors in the recording studio. What's important here is clear, clean, detailed sound without distortion.

Perhaps you can recommend something better for similar money.

Thanks for the great test!

Best regards,

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My view of this amp is that it's clearly a great product: PFFB to eliminate load-dependence; sufficient power output for a wide range of typical hi-fi audio applications; sufficient gain with both balanced and unbalanced connections; ability to handle 2 ohm loads; and noise and distortion performance that ranges from Good to Excellent, with most performance measures being excellent.

Personally I would like to see lower distortion in the top octave and better IMD distortion performance. However, given the content of music, as @amirm says, this appears to be inaudible in practice. And crucially, these two measurement results would not stop me from buying this amp if I were looking for a very small form factor amp in this price range. I do not happen to need an amp this small or this cheap in price, so I would probably go for a more expensive amp, perhaps with a different chip/module. But, to @AdamG 's caution about keeping the thread relevant to this review, my point here is that the couple of less-impressive measurements of this amp are not in my view a deficiency of this amp within its class; they are, rather, a more than reasonable performance tradeoff given the value - and a performance tradeoff which will be inaudible in 99-100% of applications.

As to why PFFB has not been implemented more often or for a longer period of time with these kinds of amps, I appreciate @Toku 's very helpful information on that in post 157. I would also say, look at the frequency response graphs Amir posted in his review and the graph Fosi posted of the final production version. Even with Fosi's final, improved response, the PFFB has gained you about 1.75dB in improved linearity (4 ohm up 0.25dB; 8 ohm down 1.75dB) - and that's at a frequency 99% of adults can't even hear.

Don't get me wrong: I love the PFFB linearity and the lack of load dependence definitely is a make-or-break difference for me and I'm sure many others in terms whether we would consider purchasing such an amp. But when these TI-based amps were delivering lower wattage with 15-20dB lower SINAD, less ability to drive sub-4 ohm loads, and competing with similar amps going for $50-$70 online, I can see how there was no use case or business case for the added expense and design work to implement PFFB. Now with these amps going upmarket relative to where they started, it makes sense.

You need a pre-amp to control volume.

The only way you could connect OPPO analog out to Fosi directly, is by utilising OPPO's USB DAC feature... it will work no problem, but the volume would have to be controlled at the source... I used HQPLayerPro and JRiver when experimenting with my OPPO205. If you decide to try this, limit the maximum volume (in JRiver for example) to something like 50% and do NOT forget to disable all Windows OS sounds (!!).

Just to clarify the use-case with this amp, I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. When using the Oppo's analogue outputs - as one would with this Fosi amp - the Oppo's built-in volume control will work fine, no matter what input you use into the Oppo, with no need to use a second volume control in any device or software upstream of the Oppo. The Oppo is a digital preamp, and its volume control is disabled only at its own digital outputs. Same goes for any DAC or other source device with a built-in volume control.

Why are people asking for a Stereo version?
I thought the original FOSI Audio V3 (STEREO) is what prompted people to ask for a Mono Amp version. Here it is.
If you want Stereo go for the original V3 which also gives you a sub-out.
Am i missing something?

You are not missing anything. It's the internet: Folks say "It should be B, not A" and then when B is provided other folks jump in and say "It should be A, not B," as if the previous comments and discussion never happened.

Last edited:

musicforcities

Just read this from the company in their message to me when the amp was sent:

"We'll provide a bundle including two V3 mono amps and a 48V/10A psu for no more than 260USD. That single 48V/10A psu can power the two sets of v3 mono simultaneously."

lol:

It’s only a matter of time until someone makes a “base” akin to a McIntosh 2200, with the wiring in the bottom and the amps sticking up vertically and the power supplies housed behind inside some metal transformer covers.

Excellent amp, and the option of powering two mono amps from one supply is extremely welcome. Especially given the size of the 48v/5a supply—two of those along with their ac cords would be awkward, while a single larger supply is more easily managed or hidden, not compromising the elegance of the amps.

Sure monoblock purists will balk at a shared power supply option and stick with two ps bricks.

I would be curious to know about how the the single ps working however: is it:
A) fully shared, a single big 10am with two output jacks/ne dc output with a cable splitter to two jacks ? That is can all 10amps be used by a single load,

or is the output of each output somehow managed?

Or
B) more like a dual mono design of yor, one ac power input with preliminary filtering that then splits into but more or less two smps units on contained in a single enclosure, both on a single pcb or separate.

I imagine the first is more likely.

musicforcities

There are no standards for gain in amplification. When I first started to test them, I used 29 dB which was some recommendation by THX. That gain factor though assumed very anemic sources. Just about every DAC I test has far higher output voltage. A high gain amplifier adds noise then for no reason. I picked 25 dB as to not deviate too much from the old gain factor so tests would still be comparable for the most part. This amp gets full power with 2.8 volt input vs 4 volts that is available.
Looks like these mono have selections gain on the back? Could be handy for avr that output lower than ideal line out voltages.

Hart

I think it's a harder sell to many people due to being mono and a separate power supply. An all in one stereo option with a really good industrial design would be a home run for sure. Don't cheap out on the box, an extra $25 at the manufacturing level will go a long way.

morillon

Major Contributor
lol:

It’s only a matter of time until someone makes a “base” akin to a McIntosh 2200, with the wiring in the bottom and the amps sticking up vertically and the power supplies housed behind inside some metal transformer covers.

Excellent amp, and the option of powering two mono amps from one supply is extremely welcome. Especially given the size of the 48v/5a supply—two of those along with their ac cords would be awkward, while a single larger supply is more easily managed or hidden, not compromising the elegance of the amps.

Sure monoblock purists will balk at a shared power supply option and stick with two ps bricks.

I would be curious to know about how the the single ps working however: is it:
A) fully shared, a single big 10am with two output jacks/ne dc output with a cable splitter to two jacks ? That is can all 10amps be used by a single load,

or is the output of each output somehow managed?

Or
B) more like a dual mono design of yor, one ac power input with preliminary filtering that then splits into but more or less two smps units on contained in a single enclosure, both on a single pcb or separate.

I imagine the first is more likely.
"""PFFB to eliminate load-dependence"""
reduce load-dependence.... not eliminate

musicforcities

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this. But here goes, these amps are great, no doubt and an excellent value. But what is the deal with external power supply? And what is the deal with that cute little miniature size form factor, is it meant to be a desktop amp?

Can't we just put two of these mono and their power supply into one case? Who started this silly trend? It screams dorm room HiFi component. :p
Far less expensive to manufacture, source the PS fabricator, deal with international regs, AND get proper safety certifications for the high voltage parts. You certify ONE 48v/5amp supply and use it for multiple amps, rather than get separate certifications for every amp.

Also easier to shield any electrical noise from the smps to the line level inputs and circuitry.

Also because external power supplies are easier to replace if they blow…which they can.

Hey, audiophiles pay big money for things like separate power supplied…if someone threw fossi’s plastic smps boxes into into cnc aluminum boxes they could charge more than the amp…lol.

Also dude, you can throw the power supplies into a cabinet or otherwise out of sight for neatness,

And more easily keep your thick ac power cords away from one level interconnects.

SMen

I'd need to check the PCB to be able to answer these questions with 100% accuracy. There are also 3 relays... so Fosi may be using 2 of them as well, to implement gain control and to create the same balanced level signal drive to TI, irrespective of which input is used (RCA / XLR).
I'd really like to know this. This put me off the ZA3 when I was looking at it.

Ein

Thats insane. Smth near 1 kilo with stick 130 USD and 2/4/6/8 ohm with tons of power. With good / great measure… too good, to be true? But hey, you can today match extremely performance setup for only 500 bucks (2 pwr and pre). No less, no more, but done. So, 99.99% of audiophile stacks hundreds more expensive (thousands) with poor skills, dramatic poor value and yes - pure - worse sound… for what purpose? Bigger dikus? Bigger egos? Bigger nothing.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This is a power amplifier which means they usually don't have volume controls. You need a preamp in front of it or a DAC with volume control.
Interesting, so this is literally what Pre-Amps are for! I never knew because I have never had a powered speaker setup like this, only powered monitors & subs.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
11.png

To me the closeness of the DC 32-48V power plug to the speaker binding post on the rear of the Fosi Audio V3 is an avoidable design flaw. It will be interesting to see what electrical issues or damage occurs from this poor design. Not to mention the inconvenience of having these two plugs jammed up against each other.

musicforcities

I wish they first considered an Amp+PSU combo in a single chassis. That would be more welcome.

Topping, I'm also talkin' to you!
Unlikely to happen for several good reasons I mention elsewhere in the thread.

unless they create a different product and likely somewhat modular case product line. Like topping did with their RA3, a “rack mount” form factor version of the pa3. The RA3 is 1u height but full width. Sort of wasteful as they could have put it in a 1u half rack (8.5” wide” easily and allowed two to be put in a 1u space. I’m thinking of Parasound’s Zamp series form factor here.

But I’m not sure the market is really there…

musicforcities

Looks ok-ish from here, given the size constraints. You could do better but not by much.
I seriously doubt there is any issue or much sinaid gain from greater distance. I would surmise it’s not different from the output of a traditional linear ps amp rails. It’s bit like its next to the line level inputs and there is not going to be long runs of speaker out wiring running parallel to the dc power in. it’s not like running 120v ac in parallel for a few feet with rca cables.

musicforcities

It has no volume controls? So how do you adjust the volume?
Otherwise the performance looks quite good especially at this price. Like I am really surprised. I think this is the #1 budget amp now

Monoblocks are not usually as “integrated amps”, but a pure power amps. monoblock devotees will have separate preamps/receivers/streamers, etc.

And how exactly would you use an integrated volume control since each MONO amp powers only ONE channel? would have to adjust EACH Amp separately.

If you want integrated volume knob, this is not the amp you are looking for.

Or dude, just buy a 10-20 dollar volume knob. Or go nuts and get one with a remote.

Top Bottom