• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 215 49.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 40.0%

• Total voters

marX

So, I connected everything today (laptop-spotify>Topping nx4>Fosi audio>Revel M16) and I'm sensing a massive mid-bass hump. It's a temporary setup (will be adding babana plugs to the speaker cables, proper stands instead of the carbord boxes the speakers came in etc) but I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

Also I'm hearing crackles at lower volumes like those from a record player. Don't know where it is coming from but I'm guessing it's the amp (I tried my Sennheiser headphones with the dac and there is no issue).

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
So, I connected everything today (laptop-spotify>Topping nx4>Fosi audio>Revel M16) and I'm sensing a massive mid-bass hump. It's a temporary setup (will be adding babana plugs to the speaker cables, proper stands instead of the carbord boxes the speakers came in etc) but I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

Also I'm hearing crackles at lower volumes like those from a record player. Don't know where it is coming from but I'm guessing it's the amp (I tried my Sennheiser headphones with the dac and there is no issue).
Replug all connections, check your cables. I personally would not use these smaller amps without banana plugs for the speaker wire, it's awfully easy for a stray wire to cause a problem. AND THOSE ARE NICE SPEAKERS, keep them safe.

You should not be hearing any crackling from the amp. You could test by putting a source directly into the amp, such as phone via 3.5 to RCA cable, or a CD deck (RCA to RCA).

marX

Replug all connections, check your cables. I personally would not use these smaller amps without banana plugs for the speaker wire, it's awfully easy for a stray wire to cause a problem. AND THOSE ARE NICE SPEAKERS, keep them safe.

You should not be hearing any crackling from the amp. You could test by putting a source directly into the amp, such as phone via 3.5 to RCA cable, or a CD deck (RCA to RCA).
Yeah, I just did that.

I had a Yamaha AS500 with Magnat floor standing speakers based system at my home and I'm comparing that with this system from memory. Those speakers can shake my house, it was that good (bass). I guess it's a bit unfair to compare a bookshelf speaker against a big speaker.

Regarding the crackle, it kind of disappeared. Btw, I changed the decoding to 32 bit, 384khz. May be it did the trick?
No idea.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I connected everything today (laptop-spotify>Topping nx4>Fosi audio>Revel M16) and I'm sensing a massive mid-bass hump.

Also I'm hearing crackles at lower volumes like those from a record player.
The mid-bass hump is easy to see in the Revel M16’s measurements.

I had crackle on my Fosi V3 when using the TRS “preamp out” socket but no issues when using the RCA connectors instead.

plastico

Since it was asked upthread a bit (how's it sound?) with no real answers, I will say that I'm very happy with the V3, which is subbed into my main system at this point. I have a Wiim Pro feeding a Schiit Modi 3E, into an Audio Research LS-1 (a vintage high-gain line stage), into the V3 with 48V PS, into JBL Studio 590s. I also have a Rega Planar 6 feeding a Hagerman Cornet 3 into the LS-1.

The V3 has done a beautiful job in this system, which IMO says a lot about how good it is. I'm in absolutely no hurry to sub it back out. I listen at moderate volumes and don't ever need loads of power in my systems and I could absolutely be happy with this as my main amp in any system I listen to.
I have this driving my turntable/Parks Audio Puffin/Topping E30/ARC SP9/GoldenEar Triton 2's/Paradigm PW2100v2 sub. All I can say is WTF???! I have a Bryston 4BST and I cannot believe what I am hearing from this little amp!
Cheers, Doug

TurtlePaul

IMG_1861.jpeg
Finally got my setup tweaked the way I like it. Fosi V3 working well and looks good beside my stack.

Fox _ Mulder

Testei o V3 com o D10s Topping DAC e descobri que faltava potência. Depois testei com o Tempotec march iii, que atua como DAC e pré-amplificador. Eu realmente gostei do que ouvi. O V3 está no volume máximo e o Tempotec na metade do volume.

original_0d08e8b9-3f6c-46bb-a358-3727f2760f1b_20231018_155300.jpg

Last edited:

saberger0357

It's warm in Northern California today, so I decided to experiment with the V3 by connecting it to my 1977 Klipsch La Scala's(with updated crossovers). They are normally driven by a tube amp, most recently my McIntosh MC30's, but with my no air conditioning and temps in the 90's, better to go with solid state, at least until it cools off tomorrow. And the result is...mighty impressive! I suppose my expectations were that the sound would be on the thin side, perhaps a little brittle. Nothing could be further from the truth. The presentation is warm and full. And this is just trying it out streaming. Completely relaxed, non fatiguing. I'm really surprised and pleased! Honestly, this is the kind of amp that wouldn't make me feel very bad about selling my Mc tube gear, if and when it comes down to it.

At some point I'm going to try the La Scala's out with the Ayima 07 and I wouldn't be surprised if I get similar results.

These continue to be very special little inexpensive boxes with the capability to become everyday drivers.

IMG-9052.jpg

IMG-9053.jpg

IMG-9054.jpg

Last edited:

Talisman

Forum Donor
It's warm in Northern California today, so I decided to experiment with the V3 by connecting it to my 1977 Klipsch La Scala's(with updated crossovers). They are normally driven by a tube amp, most recently my McIntosh MC30's, but with my no air conditioning and temps in the 90's, better to go with solid state, at least until it cools off tomorrow. And the result is...mighty impressive! I suppose my expectations were that the sound would be on the thin side, perhaps a little brittle. Nothing could be further from the truth. The presentation is warm and full. And this is just trying it out streaming. Completely relaxed, non fatiguing. I'm really surprised and pleased! Honestly, this is the kind of amp that wouldn't make me feel very bad about selling my Mc tube gear, if and when it comes down to it.

At some point I'm going to try the La Scala's out with the Ayima 07 and I wouldn't be surprised if I get similar results.

These continue to be very special little inexpensive boxes with the capability to become everyday drivers.
As a lover of the brand (one of the very few on ASR) I would always like to see these posts accompanied by some nice photos :D

plastico

It's crazy eh saberger0357? My V3 is sitting on top of the unhooked Bryston! And I got this for the basement!
Cheers, Doug

plastico

Here's some pics.
20231019_155936.jpg
20231019_160111.jpg

NoMoFoNo

My V3 is still serving in my main system and I'm not likely to get my other 'main amp' back for a while so it'll stay. I may even sell that amp and leave the V3 long term, or get a pair of the upcoming Fosi mono blocks in the new year. The V3 is absolutely capable of being the main amplification in a 'main system' and it would be awesome to see blind testing if it against 'big iron big money' amps. It's one of the two or three best value performers I've come across in audio.

DavidMcRoy

Pictures added to my original post.
Your experience doesn't surprise me. There isn't anything subpar about the Fosi V3, the Aiyima A07 or the A07 Max when operated within their limits. I'm using them to power individual drivers in my custom 3-way and 5-way active DSP speakers, where they each just loaf along with only a fractional slice of the spectrum feeding each one. At the same time...used within their power limits...any one of them can drive a pair or my c. 1990s Acoustat Spectra 1100s full range to "adequate," but not crazy-loud levels. The future of power amplification is here.

wavetrade

I have boxed up all my fancier amps (Rega, Rotel, Creek and Marantz) and hoping to sell them. I love the sound of the Fosi V3. Actually pretty happy with the SMSL A300 as well. Finally getting the sound that I always wanted. Last week I unboxed my first bookshelf speakers, Paradigm Mini Monitors from the 90's, and can't stop grinning at how much better they sound using these inexpensive class D products. I used to hear a touch of tweeter sizzle with some of the A/B amps.

Palladium

I have boxed up all my fancier amps (Rega, Rotel, Creek and Marantz) and hoping to sell them. I love the sound of the Fosi V3. Actually pretty happy with the SMSL A300 as well. Finally getting the sound that I always wanted. Last week I unboxed my first bookshelf speakers, Paradigm Mini Monitors from the 90's, and can't stop grinning at how much better they sound using these inexpensive class D products. I used to hear a touch of tweeter sizzle with some of the A/B amps.

I love these cheap class-D amps like the V3 myself. They are compact enough to put on a cramped tabletop, draw little idle power (4W on the 32V 5A PSU) and still go louder than what my ears can comfortably bear without even drawing more power than idle.

Fox _ Mulder

Is it worth changing opamps? I never believed that a "simple" change could change the amp's "signature".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it worth changing opamps? I never believed that a "simple" change could change the amp's "signature".

OP amp rolling is a chancy endeavor. Swapping OP amps is not a science based project and it is purely a hit and miss thing. The electronics designer will have calculated very accurately the parameters of the stock OP amp circuitry and feedback network(s). To swap out OP amps with different circuitry requirements is not a smart thing to be doing. It is however a entry point for enthusiasts to cut their teeth on electronic circuitry and the PCB re-working. I don't encourage OP amp rolling and I do recognize that I cut my teeth on electronics doing many different projects that where just dreamy thinking and it got me to study electronics formally and take it up as a occupation. So have fun and remember you could be making things worse by OP amp rolling.

Fox _ Mulder

OP amp rolling is a chancy endeavor. Swapping OP amps is not a science based project and it is purely a hit and miss thing. The electronics designer will have calculated very accurately the parameters of the stock OP amp circuitry and feedback network(s). To swap out OP amps with different circuitry requirements is not a smart thing to be doing. It is however a entry point for enthusiasts to cut their teeth on electronic circuitry and the PCB re-working. I don't encourage OP amp rolling and I do recognize that I cut my teeth on electronics doing many different projects that where just dreamy thinking and it got me to study electronics formally and take it up as a occupation. So have fun and remember you could be making things worse by OP amp rolling.
I understand, but if I want to change it, I'll take the V3 to a qualified technician. At 50, I don't want to venture into the world of electronics.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand, but if I want to change it, I'll take the V3 to a qualified technician. At 50, I don't want to venture into the world of electronics.
I see. Most technicians don't get into the intimate detailed workings of OP amp circuitry and how to design and calculate for OP amps and the circuitry requirements. So they will mostly just swap out the new OP amp and call it a day. Some may be capable of calculating for in circuit parameters and checking specifications but most are so busy doing other circuitry stuff that they have little time for OP amp rolling calculations and have grown rusty in their OP amp calculations.

Top Bottom