• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 amplifier discussion

asimze

Very wrong thinking with an a priori negative view!!!
At a time when every idiot has measuring equipment and can technically analyze them and write possibly negative criticism, lying does not bring any benefit.
I see Fosiaudio as a group of young innovative engineers who use all the advantages of the latest technologies to make a business success. By opening the discussion, I only open the field for them to show what they know. The information I was looking for is not a military secret and a slightly better electronics engineer can measure it. I don't have that equipment or knowledge.
It is to be expected that Fosiaudio and @Fosi Audio will enable us to exhaust the possibilities of their product to the limit. I think positively

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
tbf fosi engage in the op amp rolling bullshit too... so much so they have videos on how to change them

but i can give them leeway simply because if its sell devices then i guess our path is set?

Witterings

Stumbled across these the other day and just found this thread, is there any way to use a remote with these or do you have to switch on / adjust the volume via the dial on the front?
Also do they go into standby if not used for a while and if so will they come out of standby on receiving a signal, thinking I could control the on/off and volume via preamp instead if so?

gcogger

Stumbled across these the other day and just found this thread, is there any way to use a remote with these or do you have to switch on / adjust the volume via the dial on the front?
Also do they go into standby if not used for a while and if so will they come out of standby on receiving a signal, thinking I could control the on/off and volume via preamp instead if so?
There's no remote option, and no auto standby on/off - this is a very simple device.

ComasSky

It would be incredible to be able to bypass the preamp with a switch to transform the V3 into a stereo or mono power amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be incredible to be able to bypass the preamp with a switch to transform the V3 into a stereo or mono power amp.
Well seeing as the only preamp function is a volume control - set it to max - and it is bypassed :)

There are no mono options though.

gcogger

No worries and thanks for the response .... still seems like a great little piece of kit.
It is indeed. I find it remarkable that you can buy a product of that quality (both in terms of the audio performance and the build) for that price. I ended up paying £63 delivered, with the 32V PSU, which I think is fantastic value.

asimze

When I decided to join the discussion on this topic, I started with the desire for dialogue, to learn something new and to solve some of my doubts. Some members welcomed me with a knife, because they understand all this as a religion, but I see it as a game and pleasure.
I highly recommend playing with another OPA!!! I installed OPA 1656 today. It's a whole new level of gigging!!!
If you've tried it before and didn't get an improvement, then try the following:
1. Borrow or get a better USB cable!!! Forget about the cable that came with the DAC.
2. RCA cable. I've tried a couple of British, mid-priced ones, they're badass. Now I have a DIY cable, a German Sommercable Albedo MKII and a €5 HICON connector.
3. Speaker cable. Van den Hull per meter. Even the cheapest.
Everything else is stories and theories, forget it. Change the OPA.
When would I have money to buy MUSES 02?!!! But I managed to get 8820. As my friend said 8820 is 80% MUSES 02.
Life is Beautiful. Play and enjoy.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I decided to join the discussion on this topic, I started with the desire for dialogue, to learn something new and to solve some of my doubts. Some members welcomed me with a knife, because they understand all this as a religion, but I see it as a game and pleasure.
I highly recommend playing with another OPA!!! I installed OPA 1656 today. It's a whole new level of gigging!!!
If you've tried it before and didn't get an improvement, then try the following:
1. Borrow or get a better USB cable!!! Forget about the cable that came with the DAC.
2. RCA cable. I've tried a couple of British, mid-priced ones, they're badass. Now I have a DIY cable, a German Sommercable Albedo MKII and a €5 HICON connector.
3. Speaker cable. Van den Hull per meter. Even the cheapest.
Everything else is stories and theories, forget it. Change the OPA.
When would I have money to buy MUSES 02?!!! But I managed to get 8820. As my friend said 8820 is 80% MUSES 02.
Life is Beautiful. Play and enjoy.
How's that learning something new going for you? :facepalm:

asimze

With the help of good friends who have more experience and knowledge, plus a little personal adventure, everything ends successfully. The goal is not to show your smarts. but to enjoy good music and selflessly share it with others. And never be a perfectionist!!!

Freezak

So
With the help of good friends who have more experience and knowledge, plus a little personal adventure, everything ends successfully. The goal is not to show your smarts. but to enjoy good music and selflessly share it with others. And never be a perfectionist!!!

A specific cable and op amp swap? Dude, please stop. Don't get me started on "better usb cable"

asimze

This is basic one:
but strongly advice this one:
This is my experience!!!
My DAC is Topping E30 II.

olieb

but strongly advice this one:
Nooo! Way too cheap! Below 500€ you can't get anything decent. After all it's the price tag that is most important, as we all know. ;-)

gcogger

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I can't find any mention of this...
https://fosiaudio.com/products/2024-version-v3
New 2024 variant of the V3
Introducing the Enhanced Pre-out Feature: In the 2024 version, it's no longer a simple pass-through interface; instead, it's controlled by the V3's power switch and volume.
Something that people were wanting, I believe. Definitely an improvement IMHO.

Dinesh Menon

Fosi V3 review
Hello audio lovers
I wanted to share with you one of those little diamonds that sometimes break into the market.
Fosi V3 a little gem that doesn't need much light to shine.
What is it about?
From a minimalist amplifier from the company Fosi, a brand that for a few years has been positioning itself as a reference in a market range that previously did not exist.
HI-FI has historically been inaccessible to the general public .
Fosi is offering products with a high level of quality at a very competitive price that allow you to enjoy quality sound at a reasonable cost
A great advantage of globalization and new communication channels is that the customer/brand relationship has changed radically.
In this case, the FOSI brand listens to its customers and takes their opinions into account in the product development phase.
Something unthinkable a few years ago and that changes the rules of the game, the client no longer buys what a brand has designed according to their ideas, the client is part of the project.
What does the FOSI V3 offer us?
In a very compact enclosure of 105x143x40 mm. hides a successful selection of components that in the sound test show their potential.
View attachment 306245
The minimalist design offers a front with an operating indicator LED and a volume adjustment dial with a very good touch plus a silent connection "there is no expected connection / pop noise".
There is no remote control and I think it is not necessary, if you use it as a desktop amplifier it is within your reach and if it is a distant installation, remember your old school times without this accessory.
The rear remains minimalist, RCA signal input connectors, speaker output with screw/banana connectors and a 3.5 mm output with fixed signal level independent of the front regulator.
View attachment 306233
Fosi in future reviews of the device indicates that it will be variable depending on the front regulator.
For this test I have two V 3 units, a 32V version and another 48V.
It is the same device where only the PSU varies, the PSU 48V is larger than the V3.
I have done the listening tests with HECO VICTA PRIME 302 speakers and a DAC S.M.S.L DO300.
Two configurations
  1. One V3 unit in normal connection mode
  2. Bi-wired mode with two V3 units (32V-48V)

Sound checks
View attachment 306241
Preparation and deployment of equipment for testing
View attachment 306242
Comparison between PSU
View attachment 306235View attachment 306237
View attachment 306243
Bi-amplification mode tests

View attachment 306240
Wait a minute, where's the secret chamber? How is it possible to obtain this power with these micro dimensions?

View attachment 306234
These are the maximum powers declared, in the range of 20 to 20000 hz and with Thd < 1% are lower but enough to move any box on the market with quality.
The test speakers offer a sensitivity of 90 dB (2.8V/1M) and during tests with the 32 v and 48 v versions give a good result.
The potentiometer offers a logarithmic curve in its operation, that allows a better more precise adjustment when you use a lower volume, it may seem strange but it is a resource used in professional audio regularly.
View attachment 306239
The hated but necessary connection cables

So 32 V or 48 V? It all depends on the set and the power of use that you are going to use regularly.
You want quality sound at low volume, the 32V version is enough.
Is your installation demanding? Uses 48v
Music is clear and no background noise is present.
You can position the instruments in front of you and the timbre is totally neutral.
This sound will always depend on the speakers you use in your installation the V3 is only a neutral link in the sound chain , it does not color the signal.
In this sense, the V3, Fosi offers the possibility of replacing the NE5532 operational amplifiers as standard.
The V3 supports a variety of dual 8-pin op-amps such as Sparkos SS3602, MUSES02, OPA2604, OPA2134PA, OP249, AD827, RM4559, LM4562, LME49720HA
Among the different musical styles, from classical, pop, rock to techno, the V3 shows no fatigue or distortion.
The TPA3255 chip does an exceptional job, during the tests carried out and using techno music with a lot of bass the external temperature of the V3 did not exceed 40ºC with a starting temperature of 30ºC (Spain, August 2023, full heat wave).

View attachment 306236View attachment 306238

Bi-amplification tests
In the bi-amplification tests I used the 32V version to power the treble and the 48V version for bass.
Changes?
An improvement in sound clarity is achieved , an improvement in details since there is greater dynamics to work with the speaker.
In future tests I will perform a signal filtering prior to V3 to assign a frequency range to each V3.

View attachment 306244
The usual version in the markets is the 32 V version (32V / 5A external power supply), although there is the version with 48 V / 5A source and the V3 only version without power supply, different options for different equipment, that added to the possibility of customizing the device positions it as a very useful component in the usual puzzles that are high-level sound equipment.
Conclusions
An essential component in main, secondary and desktop systems.
Pros
Build quality
Quality/price ratio
Power module performance
Possibility to customize operational amplifiers
Cons
Remote control? May be necessary in some cases
Pre-out output without regulation. We are in the same case as the remote control, a large majority of users do not use that function.

Specifications
Max Power Output: 300Wx2 @4Ω
SINAD: ≥88dB
SNR: ≥110dB
Terminating Impedance: 2-8Ω
THD: <0.003%
Power Amp: TI TPA3255
Op-Amp: TI NE5532 x2
Power Supply: 32V/5A, 48V/5A
Power Input Range: DC 24V-48V
Frequency Response Range:
20Hz-20kHz(±0.1dB)
Actually I was searching for the review of
HECO VICTA PRIME 302 speakers, and I couldn't find it anywhere, but luckily your fabulous setup and test showed up.
Like to know your opinion on this speaker.
In the pics, their bass vents look larger than the standard type.
Thanks in advance.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Actually I was searching for the review of
HECO VICTA PRIME 302 speakers, and I couldn't find it anywhere, but luckily your fabulous setup and test showed up.
Like to know your opinion on this speaker.
In the pics, their bass vents look larger than the standard type.
Thanks in advance.
If you can get these speakers used cheaply, that's ok, but the 702 floorstanding speaker is currently being traded at similar prices, both used and new.
If you want to buy new ones, I would definitely go for the Heco Aurora 300.

Dinesh Menon

If you can get these speakers used cheaply, that's ok, but the 702 floorstanding speaker is currently being traded at similar prices, both used and new.
If you want to buy new ones, I would definitely go for the Heco Aurora 300.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm getting the new ones, here in India.
Price of Aurora 300 is double than that of Victa Prime 302.
Is there that much difference in the specs also ?
It seems Prime 302 is discontinued,
so selling cheaper.
Price of new 702 floor standing speaker is almost thrice more than that of-
Prime 302.
And in the price range of Prime 302, many options from Elac, JBL, Polk, Q Acoustics & Wharfedale are available.
302 stood out with its design. Maybe you can guide me on the better option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom