• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 amplifier discussion

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Guys, why we dont use 56v for this? The chip specs allows that.
I continue to say: this is a bad, bad idea. These small, convenient amps are not really meant to push tons of watts, despite the "me too" ism of the various manufacturer claims. If you want that kind of power - get Hypex or Purifi amps. Yes, a cost jump. But they are designed for 100+ watts output.

Tenfilip

I continue to say: this is a bad, bad idea. These small, convenient amps are not really meant to push tons of watts, despite the "me too" ism of the various manufacturer claims. If you want that kind of power - get Hypex or Purifi amps. Yes, a cost jump. But they are designed for 100+ watts output.
I got crown xls 2500 for this, I just wonder, "why not" - that's all :) I don't listen a high volumes, but for dynamics, this might be good.

mlieber507

The trick with EQ is to make sure it does not introduce any signal noise. It will be hard!

I the EQ choice is difficult because it really depends on the musical instruments. Even more complicated if it’s movies with sound effects. Your four choices sound good. Schiit audio makes a very nice EQ with 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 8kHz. Of course a great EQ should have “bypass” mode or a very nice middle detent click to make the settings flat. According to the reviews of your BT20a Pro, you already know how to make a EQ knob with a perfect neutral detent.

By the way I think you mean “sub bass” meaning all frequencies below 50hz, not “super bass” which is what cheap audio products call their awful sounding distorted bass.
Assuming a parametric equalizer that provides adjustable gain, Q and frequency selection, 4 bands are usually enough. A lot of graphic equalizers, however, have 10 or more bands.

Syncope

Could anyone tell me what the rca input impedance of the v3 is? I'd greatly appreciate an answer if anyone has already tested of got information from fosi! Thanks!
Hi, did you get an answer to this question? I was playing around with input HPFs but I don't know the impedance(assuming 10k) so not 100% sure if I am doing right.

Tenfilip

Quick review from my side:

I switched to 32v version from crown xls 2500. I use Tannoy xt 6f speakers (91 dB, really like them) and Chromcast Audio, in a bigger volume room, but I listen 2-4 meters away. Volume at 11 is already too much, but I usually limit the volume at chromecast via app, depending on the need. At 12 you can hear some noise from the tweeter, but need to put you ear just next to it, so not a problem. The sound get's louder with increasing the volume.

I like the sound much better than my 2x400 w crown:) It's easier to say where the instruments are, also sounds a bit "easier" to the ear. Bass is a bit less present, but this is good for my room and listening. Still, seems precise and controlled. There is some part of the upper mid frequency that seems a maybe a bit muffed, but I actually it all sounds pleasing, so I don't bother. It does seem less aggressive from the crown, but for living room listening this is good.
I don't feel like I need to switch to 48v version, also my seller (amazone.de) didnt offer a version with 48v, so I would need to throw away the 32v power supply.

My small complain is that the volume knob goes very fast to very loud on my moderately sensitive speakers. Of course, the preout fixed volume control is a bummer for subwoofer integration, but it was already made clear here.

Overall, very happy with it, I might get 3 more for my denon x3500h preouts for HT, but this time likely with the 48v :)

asimze

@Fosi Audio I have some technical question.
Do you have measuremet voltage power supply for OPA with 32V and 48V general PS?
What constructor of V3 think which OPA ist most MUSICAL. I know it depend on many thinks in setup, but for me their opinion is intreseting!!!

Tenfilip

@Fosi Audio I have some technical question.
Do you have measuremet voltage power supply for OPA with 32V and 48V general PS?
What constructor of V3 think which OPA ist most MUSICAL. I know it depend on many thinks in setup, but for me their opinion is intreseting!!!
What does it mean MUSiCAL?

asimze

You have a "perfect" but flat sound, you have a "perfect" but sterile sound and then you put at least MUSES 8820 and something pops in your brain and in your heart and that is MUSICALITY. Feel the beauty and fullness of the sound. Here, Google struggled to translate my expression, it succeeded the third time. If you listen to MUSIC and not a device, then you understand what I mean

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a "perfect" but flat sound, you have a "perfect" but sterile sound and then you put at least MUSES 8820 and something pops in your brain and in your heart and that is MUSICALITY. Feel the beauty and fullness of the sound. Here, Google struggled to translate my expression, it succeeded the third time. If you listen to MUSIC and not a device, then you understand what I mean
The MUSIC is what is musical.

The device should pass that music through it unchanged - that way all the musicality of the MUSIC is retained.

Amplifiers are not musical instruments. The device should not be audible. People who listen to MUSIC and not a device understand what that means.

I don't know how many times this needs to be re-stated on this forum of all forums.

Oh, and your MUSES 8820 won't change the sound in any audible way unless it breaks the design and causes the amp to oscillate. Disagree? Prove it with measurements - or if you are unable to do that, perform a well controlled, level matched blind test with at least 10 repeats.

Don't bring anecdotes.

Last edited:

asimze

The MUSIC is what is musical.

Don't bring anecdotes.
"On the other hand, what we have been searching for is more than just spec numbers, but having an effect on all the music fan' emotion".
I am not interesting to spend even on minute on this discusion! Sorry.
I am interesting for info from Fosiaudio constructor.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"On the other hand, what we have been searching for is more than just spec numbers, but having an effect on all the music fan' emotion".
If you're not interested in discussing it - don't start (and continue) the discussion.

Again - the music brings the emotion. Not the gear.

D

Deleted member 48726

I think you may be in for a disappointing stay here on the Audio Science Review forum then. What the incredibly patient @antcollinet has written to you is the truth whether or not that's the answer you are looking for.

You can search on YouTube for "fosi audio op amp rolling" and gobble up the marketing all you want. Here they swap op amps and record the sound from each.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you trying to set up a trap for Fosi Audio? If Fosi Audio gives you the kind of answer you expect, he/she will be summarily roasted, most likely far worse than what you got.

asimze

The first welcome, however, was unnecessarily harsh. We can have a discussion about everything, but if you take an exclusive position at the beginning, then I don't see a reason for discussion.
OPA musicality, does it exist? Take the same piano, the same etude, let three different musicians play the same etude. Everything will be the same??? C1 is C1 right?
My colleague is currently engaged in the construction of OPA for his own pleasure. He had 10 OPAs on test (and he had the most expensive!!!), tested them all and then started construction. It is currently awaiting the creation of the final version. And he told me a lot about the musicality he wants to achieve. I myself had some experiments, spent $120 on more famous OPA, but when you hear the MUSES family, then everything becomes clear to you.
As for Fosiaudio, don't touch them! I am a proud owner of a V3, I enjoy running it. I'm waiting for another 10 hours of work for it to stabilize completely. After the weekend, there will be the purchase of a 48V GaN power supply, and then a game with the OPA. Would a PS with a torus transformer and 8 capacitors be better?!!!
I was interested in the voltage on the OPA and its dependence on the central power supply, in order to choose the right OPA.
These days I discovered and enjoy the Ezio Bosso gig, and the V3 amp.
The only thing that remains is love and music. Measurements are just something along the way, not the goal.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first welcome, however, was unnecessarily harsh. We can have a discussion about everything, but if you take an exclusive position at the beginning, then I don't see a reason for discussion.
OPA musicality, does it exist? Take the same piano, the same etude, let three different musicians play the same etude. Everything will be the same??? C1 is C1 right?
My colleague is currently engaged in the construction of OPA for his own pleasure. He had 10 OPAs on test (and he had the most expensive!!!), tested them all and then started construction. It is currently awaiting the creation of the final version. And he told me a lot about the musicality he wants to achieve. I myself had some experiments, spent $120 on more famous OPA, but when you hear the MUSES family, then everything becomes clear to you.
As for Fosiaudio, don't touch them! I am a proud owner of a V3, I enjoy running it. I'm waiting for another 10 hours of work for it to stabilize completely. After the weekend, there will be the purchase of a 48V GaN power supply, and then a game with the OPA. Would a PS with a torus transformer and 8 capacitors be better?!!!
I was interested in the voltage on the OPA and its dependence on the central power supply, in order to choose the right OPA.
These days I discovered and enjoy the Ezio Bosso gig, and the V3 amp.
The only thing that remains is love and music. Measurements are just something along the way, not the goal.

Hang on, I thought you were not interested in even one minute of discussion? :p

If you tested sighted, or blind with inadequate controls (and I'm certain you did) then the tests are not reliable, and will be discounted here.

We know that our hearing is subject to cognitive bias (call it placebo effect, or expectation bias if you like). What we hear is impacted by what we know, what we believe, how we feel, our life experiences, what we see etc etc. No-one is immune to this if they are human - it is how we are built. In fact we would be unable to function if our senses were not filtered by our subconscious brain. Everyone is subject to this, it happens at the subconscious level, and it is not possible to avoid it - even when we are aware it is happening.

Then, further, we know that the performance of a circuit built around an op amp is defined by the total circuit - much less so than the characteristics of the op amp. We also know from measurements of different op amps that any tiny differences are below the level of audibility.

So when all those differences you thought you heard can come from cognitive bias. And when we know from a science and engineering viewpoint that they are not going to be impacted by the op amp, what are we supposed to conclude?

The only way to know if they are there for real is to test level matched and blind** with at least 10 repeats. First you have to prove there is a difference that can be heard. Then you can start thinking about what caused it.

Having said that - this is particularly difficult to achieve with op amp rolling, since it is not good enough to use two amps, one with and one without the op amp - as differences between amp copies from component tolerances are likely to swamp any differences between op amp types. This is why the only real way to check is to measure the output of the amp with/without the op amp.

asimze

Are you trying to set up a trap for Fosi Audio? If Fosi Audio gives you the kind of answer you expect, he/she will be summarily roasted, most likely far worse than what you got.
My English is not that good, and when I saw your comment, my brain froze. Where did you get that idea from? As an old engineer, I am always on the side of the constructor. And the constructors from Fosiaudio have made a respectable product. So would I buy a V3 if I didn't believe in them???
When I realized that through this forum I could communicate with people from Fosiaudio, I was happy, and all my questions should be seen in that context.

D

Deleted member 48726

My English is not that good, and when I saw your comment, my brain froze. Where did you get that idea from? As an old engineer, I am always on the side of the constructor. And the constructors from Fosiaudio have made a respectable product. So would I buy a V3 if I didn't believe in them???
When I realized that through this forum I could communicate with people from Fosiaudio, I was happy, and all my questions should be seen in that context.

A Fosi Audio Engineer would never be "let loose" on the internet. With that I mean that he will be extremely restricted in what to say that goes against the company's interest. I'm also reluctant to believe it would be an actual engineer and not some PR guy being instructed by marketing what to write.

Yeah, I'm that "fun at parties" guy. ;)

Top Bottom