• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 4th Gen Power?

slongChez

Hi everyone!

Just had a quick question for ya'll. Would the new Solo have enough juice to handle a pair of Neumann KH 80's? I wasn't sure if it would be better to possibly go with the Audient iD4 MKii instead. I'm currently only planning on using the interface for my headphones and the speakers. If I don't plan on using the microphone at all with my music production, would I be better off getting a DAC instead of a full audio interface?

Thanks for the help!

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everyone!

Just had a quick question for ya'll. Would the new Solo have enough juice to handle a pair of Neumann KH 80's? I wasn't sure if it would be better to possibly go with the Audient iD4 MKii instead. I'm currently only planning on using the interface for my headphones and the speakers. If I don't plan on using the microphone at all with my music production, would I be better off getting a DAC instead of a full audio interface?

Thanks for the help!
That device will drive any powered speakers.

OP
S

slongChez

Hey @staticV3 ! Thanks, appreciate the warm welcome, glad to be here!

Would you think for my use case, it would be better to get a DAC that supports outputs for speakers and headphones?

I don't plan on plugging in any instruments or mics at the moment. Mainly working on electronic music.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Afaik, the least expensive DAC+Amp combo unit with XLR out is the SMSL M300 SE at $130.
The Solo 4th Gen is currently $140.

OP
S

slongChez

Possibly, but also a fair bit more expensive for sure. What kind of cans do you have?
Currently my main is a pair of DT 900 Pro X but also use a pair of DT 770 Pro 250ohm. If at the moment, the Solo 4th gen is a best affordable option for my use case, I'll go with it. Was just curious to others thoughts on this.

OP
S

slongChez

Wasn't that the one that's more like a good DAC that happens to ship with a headphone out?

Anyway, it just occurred to me that I'd forgotten about the SMSL DL200. That should fit the bill nicely, and cost about the same as the iD4 MkII in the US.
Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! That device looks amazing. Will go ahead and do some deep diving into it now.

Top Bottom