• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audient iD24 or Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 4th gen?

sukun06

Audient iD24 or Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 4th gen, between these two interfaces, which one would you choose? From the SPECs, I'm voting for "iD24". How about you? Thanks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see any big differences. Some are in favor of the 4i4. I'd choose based on inputs, outputs and features important to you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe JK's table can help.

jae

Major Contributor
Personally like MOTU, would wait for measurements on the new gen Scarletts before buying. Topping also has interfaces upcoming.

OP
S

sukun06

Personally like MOTU, would wait for measurements on the new gen Scarletts before buying. Topping also has interfaces upcoming.
By Topping you mean Topping e2x2? I have tried, and returned it. The Mic input make noise when it turns to 3-5 clock position. I have checked with company tech, they said it comes from the Voltage changes while adjusting the mic input gain, they said it is normal, but they will work on it, to see how to improve.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
By Topping you mean Topping e2x2? I have tried, and returned it. The Mic input make noise when it turns to 3-5 clock position.
I suspect a case of user error. At a maximum of 58 dB of gain + an extra 20 dB on the digital side, this interface potentially has a lot of gain to offer. Even with the best preamps in the world, audible noise may very well be normal under these conditions. More so if you left the input open (input impedance is quite high at 6 kOhms, so input current noise would probably make the noise floor go up a fair bit compared to the 150-600 ohms of a dynamic mic). Did you also try an actual dynamic microphone?

According to its spec, the E2x2 mic input should have an EIN of -130.5 dBu(A) with a 150 ohm source, which if accurate (I don't think John Yang would be overly challenged by this measurement) would be only 0.6 dB worse than the very best @Julian Krause has tested to date and still in the "excellent" range, between the iD4/14 MkII and iD24.
jk ein.jpg

I think the physical limit ought to be about -133 dB(A). This would mean we should be than 2.5 dB above the self noise of a 150 ohm dynamic mic.

OP
S

sukun06

I suspect a case of user error. At a maximum of 58 dB of gain + an extra 20 dB on the digital side, this interface potentially has a lot of gain to offer. Even with the best preamps in the world, audible noise may very well be normal under these conditions. More so if you left the input open (input impedance is quite high at 6 kOhms, so input current noise would probably make the noise floor go up a fair bit compared to the 150-600 ohms of a dynamic mic). Did you also try an actual dynamic microphone?

According to its spec, the E2x2 mic input should have an EIN of -130.5 dBu(A) with a 150 ohm source, which if accurate (I don't think John Yang would be overly challenged by this measurement) would be only 0.6 dB worse than the very best @Julian Krause has tested to date and still in the "excellent" range, between the iD4/14 MkII and iD24.
View attachment 310390
I think the physical limit ought to be about -133 dB(A). This would mean we should be than 2.5 dB above the self noise of a 150 ohm dynamic mic.
The noise I mentioned, only happens when you adjusting the mic input gain around 3-5 o'clock position ,it is not noise floor.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
So basically like "volume pot with DC on it" scratchiness?

Maybe they've got a slightly unconventional topology for the preamp circuit that is DC coupled or something. I have never thought about what would happen if you were to just omit the big (often 1000 µF) capacitor in series with the gain-setting resistor...

Top Bottom