• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

heflys20

Here we go:

badspeakerdesigner

Here we go:

I think their tweeters are why I don't care for their speakers. That one looks particularly bad though, somethings just not right there between 3-8khz. Perhaps related to the concave tweeters. Might explain why I felt that something was off in the top end of the alpha series but could never put my finger on it. Not a very good showing for the price.

3125b

Major Contributor
I agree, the tweeter does not perform well, it's two leagues below the Neumann soft dome and not good enough for this price class. On the Alpha it's ok, but those are 700€, not 2600€. The first version measured by Amir has similar bahavior, but it still looks better than the new one.
The woofer is really impressive though, remarkably good performance surpassing the KH150 below 100Hz. Although they are cheating somewhat with the 2dB bass bump just above where it starts to roll off to make it sound bigger than it really is.
Unfortunately that is probably the most irrelevant part because anyone spending this kind of money will have one or two subs to handle that. And with them rolling off from 50Hz-ish neither will be really satisfying without a sub.

Rather unimpressed with that "upgrade".

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, the tweeter does not perform well, it's two leagues below the Neumann soft dome and not good enough for this price class.
I agree, just for completeness the Neumann is a hard (metal) dome.

Worse I find the highly uneven directivity which is getting very wide between 5-10 kHz.

S6-SPIN-580x353.jpg

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
I agree, just for completeness the Neumann is a hard (metal) dome.
You're right, I always thought is was a soft dome. Neumann calls it "alloy fabric dome", apparently it's a metal dome tweeter with a farbic surround.

What I find a little strange is that the new ST-6 is not a DSP speaker. Not sure why Focal wouldn't go that direction, might have helped then with the tweeter response (although that would not help the overall performance to be competitive).

heflys20

I'm fairly convinced I'd pick the Neumann's over these given the choice. I do like the lower distortion on these, though.
What I find a little strange is that the new ST-6 is not a DSP speaker. Not sure why Focal wouldn't go that direction, might have helped then with the tweeter response (although that would not help the overall performance to be competitive).

They actually used to make DSP speakers, but have since (seemingly) become more dogmatic in their belief that a well made, 100% analog speaker is superior to DSP focused ones . It's the same with brands like PSI. It's probably why this speaker still uses A/B amps as well. Makes sense, since there's still a large portion of folks who believe DSP is evil (they always bring up latency), and that A/B amps are more "musicial."

dfuller

Major Contributor

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you read the entire review (in the issue) Dr. Goertz actually has a very positive opinion of these Focals.

RobL

If you read the entire review (in the issue) Dr. Goertz actually has a very positive opinion of these Focals.
I can paraphrase his listening impressions:

“The results of the hearing test can be summarized.

The Solo6 delivered an excellent impression in every respect in the stereo set. The bass reproduction was completely convincing despite the compact format of the monitor. The mids and highs, as well as the spatial representation, offered a precision that could rarely be experienced. The sometimes heard statement that the listening pleasure is lost in a too neutral and exact reproduction can easily be disproved by the Solo6 and even support the opposite.

Conclusion: With the Solo6 from the new ST6 series, Focal is launching another monitor on the market, with the purchase of which you can't go wrong. Compact dimensions, best workmanship, excellent drivers and good measurement results, as well as the hearing impression, leave nothing to be desired. “

heflys20

I'm honestly not surprised he loves them. They're not horrible by any stretch. I'm just not convinced of price vs performance ( reflecting on speakers like the aforementioned kh 150, which beats speakers 2x its price)

Last edited:

HedgeHog

FWIW, added the Sub12 (holy, it's larger and heavier than I expected) sitting on IsoAcoustics ISO-pucks. The bottom opens up quite a bit. Not boomer like one expects a sub to be. It's very nice.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
FWIW, added the Sub12 (holy, it's larger and heavier than I expected) sitting on IsoAcoustics ISO-pucks. The bottom opens up quite a bit. Not boomer like one expects a sub to be. It's very nice.
Pics and more info please!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm honestly not surprised he loves them. They're not horrible by any stretch. I'm just not convinced of price vs performance ( reflecting on speakers like the aforementioned kh 150, which beats speakers 2x its price)
At $1500 each, I'd choose a speaker that comes with room correction software capability, either the Genelec 8340A or iLoud Precision speakers. Focal needs to raise its game

heflys20

At $1500 each, I'd choose a speaker that comes with room correction software capability, either the Genelec 8340A or iLoud Precision speakers. Focal needs to raise its game
Hopefully. It's like I said, I think they're own that whole "DSP bad. Analog good." I see some studio monitor brands with this thought process, but it's not going to stick for long I bet.

Top Bottom