• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I’m also keen to find out more about the Solo6 ST6. Has anyone tested and done any performance measurements of these?
I’m currently using a pair of Neumann KH120’s which are great but am wondering how these compare!?
I heard the old Solo6 and owned KH120
I would say Solo6 sounded "bigger" and had much more bass
Honestly I liked it more than KH120 even if it's less flat .
New Solo6 should be even better

dickiefunk

Thanks guys.
Yes the KH150’s do look great but by the time I’ve paid for the MA-1 system I would be looking at around an extra £800+ for those which is out of my budget.

I’m not sure how flat the new Focal Solo6 ST6’s are compared to the KH120’s and the old Solo6 BE?

I also have an Eve TS108 sub which works well with the KH120’s and I would plan to use with the Focal Solo6 ST6’s.
Another option is to change the Eve sub for the Neumann KH750dsp but I really don’t like the fact that you need to buy an extra router to use the Control App!? Also, I’ve been told that when you use the control app it overwrites the stored dsp settings meaning you have to then re-calibrate the speakers each time!?

I’m aware Neumann are planning to release the KH120vII but don’t know if there are any significant changes other than the DSP being added yet?

heflys20

The KH 150' are, arguably, benchmark speakers even without the MA-1 calibrating mic. For the price, they're hard to beat. I digress though, you'd have to listen to both to make an honest decision. The kh 150 will likely have more low-end, though

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Thanks guys.
Yes the KH150’s do look great but by the time I’ve paid for the MA-1 system I would be looking at around an extra £800+ for those which is out of my budget.

I’m not sure how flat the new Focal Solo6 ST6’s are compared to the KH120’s and the old Solo6 BE?

I also have an Eve TS108 sub which works well with the KH120’s and I would plan to use with the Focal Solo6 ST6’s.
Another option is to change the Eve sub for the Neumann KH750dsp but I really don’t like the fact that you need to buy an extra router to use the Control App!? Also, I’ve been told that when you use the control app it overwrites the stored dsp settings meaning you have to then re-calibrate the speakers each time!?

I’m aware Neumann are planning to release the KH120vII but don’t know if there are any significant changes other than the DSP being added yet?
For the MA1 to work you can use either any existing router with an available connection or get an extra Ethernet switch for 20 bucks or less.

The KH750 (as well as the KH80 and KH150) come with a default profile which can’t be overwritten. Once you do your individual setup you can save the result to your local harddrive to reupload it should you change it (accidentally). This was enabled during a software update in the last 6months or so.

(I use KH80/750 and MA1, never had a problem).

3125b

Major Contributor
Im just wondering for those who already have a pair if the hiss is still there?
I don‘t have the Solo, however know both the new and the old version of the Alphas, and the improvement in self-noise is quite remarkable, they did a very good job with their new Class D amps. I suspect the new Solo performs similarly well.

HedgeHog

I'm so nervous and curious about this thread. I have the old Focal Alpha 60 (they're very good) and just purchased the newer ST6 with the Sub12. They're still in boxes (too lazy to haul them up). I guess I should take a measurement with the old Alphas and the new ST6s.

dickiefunk

The KH 150' are, arguably, benchmark speakers even without the MA-1 calibrating mic. For the price, they're hard to beat. I digress though, you'd have to listen to both to make an honest decision. The kh 150 will likely have more low-end, though
This is true. I'm just curious to hear how the new ST6 Focals compare.

Ardrazzt

I'm so nervous and curious about this thread. I have the old Focal Alpha 60 (they're very good) and just purchased the newer ST6 with the Sub12. They're still in boxes (too lazy to haul them up). I guess I should take a measurement with the old Alphas and the new ST6s.
Yes, do you mind attache the measurement? I have the the Solo6 as my LCR and I'm very curious

HedgeHog

Ok....I'm a newb REW user so I hope it's acceptable.

Gear: Old W10 Enteprise PC (9600K, GTS1060, 16GB, files on QNAP), Curious USB to Chord Hugo TT to Focal Solo ST6.

Stereo measurement with UMIK-1 @ 90deg, ~30" from front, 32" from each tweeter (my listening position).
Mono (l/r) measurement with UMIK-1 pointing @ mid cone ~12" from dust cap.

Was really sunny and I'm south-facing.
FocalST6_Both.JPG

I took some except vids of how they sound (not sure if it's any good).

My previous set was the original Focal Alpha 65. Did the same measurement. I've attached an overlay of the two set. No room treatment.
FocalST6_Both.JPG23-02-26 Focal Solo ST6 (left) Frequency Response.jpg23-02-26 Focal Solo ST6 (right) Frequency Response.jpg23-02-26 Focal Solo ST6 (stereo) Frequency Response.jpg23-02-26 Focal Solo ST6 (stereo) Waterfall plot.jpg23-02-25 Focal Alpha 65 (both) FR plot.jpg23-02-25 Focal Alpha 65 (stereo) Frequency Response.jpg23-02-25 Focal Alpha 65 (stereo) Waterfall plot.jpg23-02-26 Focal Alpha 65 - Solo ST6 (stereo) Overlay.jpg

Here are the videos (they are short):

Seal - Killer [Best: 1991-2004]
A65:
ST6:

SMIK - The Last Rainforest [The Last Rainforest]
A65:
ST6:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again [Rumors]
A65:
ST6:

Reunion Blues - Oscar Peterson/Milt Jackson [Renunion Blues]
A65:
ST6:

Gil Shaham - Allegro: The Butterfly Lovers for Violin Concerto [Chen, He: The Butterfly Lovers for Violin Concerto; Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto, Op. 36]
ST6:

Erich Kunzel - 1812 Overture [Tchaikovsky: 1812; Beethoven: Wellington's Victory] <- this is apparently blocked in Belarus and Russia
A65: https://youtu.be/Sad8R_NrVfM
ST6: https://youtu.be/0CoPShBpXp8

Devin Townsend - Hyperdriver [Ziltoid The Omniscient]
A65: https://youtu.be/GGPzruWe-Us
ST6: https://youtu.be/iDR6yY3tbqM

Copyright by publisher. Audio sample for demo purposes only.

IMHO, they sound fuller and smoother. The A65s were very nice but sounds more sterile now. I was worried the beryllium tweeter may be too harsh but they were excellent and smooth. Cymbal decays were clear. Mids-bass seems more prominent. Not sure if the price diff is justifiable but these are nicer.

sliffy

Ok....I'm a newb REW user so I hope it's acceptable.

Gear: Old W10 Enteprise PC (9600K, GTS1060, 16GB, files on QNAP), Curious USB to Chord Hugo TT to Focal Solo ST6.

Stereo measurement with UMIK-1 @ 90deg, ~30" from front, 32" from each tweeter (my listening position).
Mono (l/r) measurement with UMIK-1 pointing @ mid cone ~12" from dust cap.

Was really sunny and I'm south-facing.
View attachment 267752

I took some except vids of how they sound (not sure if it's any good).

My previous set was the original Focal Alpha 65. Did the same measurement. I've attached an overlay of the two set. No room treatment.
View attachment 267752View attachment 267753View attachment 267754View attachment 267755View attachment 267756View attachment 267759View attachment 267760View attachment 267761View attachment 267762

Here are the videos (they are short):

Seal - Killer [Best: 1991-2004]
A65:
ST6:

SMIK - The Last Rainforest [The Last Rainforest]
A65:
ST6:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again [Rumors]
A65:
ST6:

Reunion Blues - Oscar Peterson/Milt Jackson [Renunion Blues]
A65:
ST6:

Gil Shaham - Allegro: The Butterfly Lovers for Violin Concerto [Chen, He: The Butterfly Lovers for Violin Concerto; Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto, Op. 36]
ST6:

Erich Kunzel - 1812 Overture [Tchaikovsky: 1812; Beethoven: Wellington's Victory] <- this is apparently blocked in Belarus and Russia
A65: https://youtu.be/Sad8R_NrVfM
ST6: https://youtu.be/0CoPShBpXp8

Devin Townsend - Hyperdriver [Ziltoid The Omniscient]
A65: https://youtu.be/GGPzruWe-Us
ST6: https://youtu.be/iDR6yY3tbqM

Copyright by publisher. Audio sample for demo purposes only.

IMHO, they sound fuller and smoother. The A65s were very nice but sounds more sterile now. I was worried the beryllium tweeter may be too harsh but they were excellent and smooth. Cymbal decays were clear. Mids-bass seems more prominent. Not sure if the price diff is justifiable but these are nicer.

sliffy

Nice review, thank you. I guess the sound of the ST6 will be improved after listening 100-200 hours. I had the alpha 50 before my SM6 and the tweeter of the alpha's sounded better in the first week.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is that the twin6 or solo6 two-way? If it's the latter, I'm excited.
They reviewed and measured the Solo 6. I don’t want to post any measurements from it as the issue is still only in print. Professor Goertz was very enthusiastic while describing his listening test and conclusions.

dickiefunk

They reviewed and measured the Solo 6. I don’t want to post any measurements from it as the issue is still only in print. Professor Goertz was very enthusiastic while describing his listening test and conclusions.
Any idea how they stacked up to the Neumann KH150 or KH120’s?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any idea how they stacked up to the Neumann KH150 or KH120’s?
Well, compared to the KH150:
- the 150 has a flatter on-axis FR and better off-axis as well
- the 150 has a little more output above 1 khz but Solo 6 is no slouch
- both have little to no resonances visible
- the Solo 6 has lower distortion below 1.5 khz, KH150 is better above that
- the Solo 6 has wider directivity but gets beamy above 10 khz

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Well, compared to the KH150:
- the 150 has a flatter on-axis FR and better off-axis as well
- the 150 has a little more output above 1 khz but Solo 6 is no slouch
- both have little to no resonances visible